Age of Fishes
On this page:
Definition of the noun age of fishes
What does age of fishes mean as a name of something?
- from 405 million to 345 million years ago; preponderance of fishes and appearance of amphibians and ammonites
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- synonyms of Age of Fishes: Devonian / Devonian period
- instance of: geological period / period = a unit of geological time during which a system of rocks formed
- part of: Paleozoic / Paleozoic era = from 544 million to about 230 million years ago
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Age of Fishes
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
- There have been two methods devised for determining the age of fishes, the one, by the circles of the scales, the other, by the ...
by Robert Latimer Bates, Julia A. Jackson
A division of earth history of unspecified duration, marked by a dominant or important life form, as the “age of fishes”. 4. The time during which a particular event or series of events occurred. or one that was marked by special physical ...
The Standard American encyclopedia of arts, sciences, history, biography, geography, statistics, and general knowledge ... (1897)
by John Clark Ridpath
Age of Fishes. Age of Shell-flsh. Age without Life. A Section of the Earth's Crust showing the Progression of Life. PalEeop'yge, a genus of fossil Crustacea, founded on a single impression from the surface of a bed in the Long- mynd, ...
The Encyclopedia Americana (1905)
A universal reference library comprising the arts and sciences ... commerce, etc., of the world by George Edwin Rines, Frederick Converse Beach
The age of fishes is seldom ...
by George Gregory
The age of fishes is known by numbering the concentric circles in a transverse section of the backbone, or the concentric circles on the scales. The characters of the six orders are, (1.) apodal, without ventral fins: (2.) jugular, ventral fins before ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Age of Fishes
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Age of Fishes to find many related words and phrases!