The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun agency:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun agency
- Phrases with Agency
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agency
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agency
- Photos about Agency
- Videos about Agency
- Sign language
- Quotes about Agency
- Scrabble value of A1G2E1N1C3Y4
- Anagrams of AGENCY
- Share this page
Agency is sometimes a misspelling of agencies.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun agency
What does agency mean as a name of something?
Agency is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: agencies
- an administrative unit of government
- example: the Central Intelligence Agency
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of agency: authority / bureau / federal agency / government agency / office
- more generic terms: administrative body / administrative unit = a unit with administrative responsibilities
- more specific terms:
- executive agency = an agency of the executive branch of government
- Food and Drug Administration / FDA = a federal agency in the Department of Health and Human Services established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention / CDC = a federal agency in the Department of Health and Human Services; located in Atlanta
- Counterterrorist Center / CTC = an agency that helps the Director of Central Intelligence coordinate counterterrorist efforts in order to preempt and disrupt and defeat terrorist activities at the earliest possible stage
- Nonproliferation Center / NPC = an agency that serves as the focal point for all Intelligence Community activities related to nonproliferation of weapons of mass destruction and their missile delivery systems
- Bureau of the Census / Census Bureau = the bureau of the Commerce Department responsible for taking the census
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration / NOAA = an agency in the Department of Commerce that maps the oceans and conserves their living resources; predicts changes to the earth's environment
- National Climatic Data Center / NCDC = the part of NOAA that maintains the world's largest active archive of weather data
- National Weather Service = the federal agency in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration that is responsible for weather forecast and preparation of weather maps
- Technology Administration = an agency in the Department of Commerce that works with United States industries to promote competitiveness and maximize the impact of technology on economic growth
- National Institute of Standards and Technology / NIST = an agency in the Technology Administration that makes measurements and sets standards as needed by industry or government programs
- National Technical Information Service / NTIS = an agency in the Technology Administration that is a primary resource for government-funded scientific and technical and engineering and business related information
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency / DARPA = the central research and development organization for the United States Department of Defense
- Department of Defense Laboratory System / LABLINK = a defense laboratory that provides essential services in fundamental science for national security and environmental protection and provides technologies that contribute to industrial competitiveness
- Department of Energy Intelligence / DOEI = an agency that collects political and economic and technical information about energy matters and makes the Department of Energy's technical and analytical expertise available to other members of the Intelligence Community
- United States Public Health Service / PHS = an agency that serves as the office of Surgeon General
- National Institutes of Health / NIH = an agency in the Department of Health and Human Services whose mission is to employ science in the pursuit of knowledge to improve human health
- Bureau of Justice Assistance / BJA = the bureau in the Department of Justice that assists local criminal justice systems to reduce or prevent crime and violence and drug abuse
- Bureau of Justice Statistics / BJS = the agency in the Department of Justice that is the primary source of criminal justice statistics for federal and local policy makers
- Immigration and Naturalization Service / INS = an agency in the Department of Justice that enforces laws and regulations for the admission of foreign-born persons to the United States
- United States Border Patrol / US Border Patrol = the mobile law enforcement arm of the Immigration and Naturalization Service that detects and prevents illegal entry of aliens into the United States
- Bureau of Diplomatic Security / DS = the bureau in the State Department that is responsible for the security of diplomats and embassies overseas
- Foreign Service = the part of the State Department that supplies diplomats for the United States embassies and consulates around the world
- Bureau of Intelligence and Research / INR = an agency that is the primary source in the State Department for interpretive analyses of global developments and focal point for policy issues and activities of the Intelligence Community
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service / US Fish and Wildlife Service / FWS = an agency in the Department of the Interior that conserves and protects fish and wildlife and their habitats
- National Park Service = an agency of the Interior Department responsible for the national parks
- Financial Management Service = the federal agency in the Treasury Department that manages the government's disbursement and collection systems and provides central accounting and financial reporting
- Office of Intelligence Support / OIS = agency that oversees the intelligence relationships of the Treasury's offices and bureaus and provides a link between the Intelligence Community and officials responsible for international economic policy
- Comptroller of the Currency = the agency of the Treasury Department responsible for controlling the currency
- Bureau of Customs / Customs Service / Customs Bureau / USCB = the agency of the Treasury Department that enforces import tariffs
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing = the agency of the Treasury Department that produces currency
- Internal Revenue Service / IRS = the bureau of the Treasury Department responsible for tax collections
- Federal Aviation Administration / FAA = an agency in the Department of Transportation that is responsible for the safety of civilian aviation
- Transportation Security Administration / TSA = an agency established in 2001 to safeguard United States transportation systems and insure safe air travel
- United States Government Accounting Office / Government Accounting Office / GAO = an independent nonpartisan federal agency that acts as the investigative arm of Congress making the executive branch accountable to Congress and the government accountable to citizens of the United States
- United States Navy / US Navy / Navy / USN = the navy of the United States of America
- United States Coast Guard / U. S. Coast Guard / US Coast Guard = an agency of the Department of Transportation responsible for patrolling shores and facilitating nautical commerce
- Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division / NAWCWPNS = the principal agency of the United States Navy for research and development for air warfare and missile weapon systems
- Naval Special Warfare / NSW = the agency that provides units to conduct unconventional and counter-guerilla warfare
- Naval Surface Warfare Center / NSWC = the agency that provides scientific and engineering and technical support for all aspects of surface warfare
- Naval Underwater Warfare Center / NUWC = the agency that provides scientific and engineering and technical support for submarine and undersea warfare systems
- Office of Naval Intelligence / ONI = the military intelligence agency that provides for the intelligence and counterintelligence and investigative and security requirements of the United States Navy
- Marine Corps Intelligence Activity / MCIA = an agency of the United States Marine Corps that provides responsive and broad intelligence support for the worldwide Marine Corps organization
- United States Air Force / U. S. Air Force / US Air Force / Air Force / USAF = the airforce of the United States of America
- Air Force Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance / Air Force ISR / AFISR = an agency focused on ensuring that the United States military attains information superiority
- independent agency = an agency of the United States government that is created by an act of Congress and is independent of the executive departments
- Advanced Research and Development Activity / ARDA = an agency of the Intelligence Community that conducts advanced research and development related to information technology
- Defense Logistics Agency = a logistics combat support agency in the Department of Defense
- Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service / DRMS = the organization in the Defense Logistics Agency that inventories and evaluates and sells reusable United States government surplus
- Defense Technical Information Center / DTIC = the agency in the Department of Defense that provides scientific and technical information to federal agencies and their contractors
- law enforcement agency = an agency responsible for insuring obedience to the laws
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration / OSHA = a government agency in the Department of Labor to maintain a safe and healthy work environment
- organ = a government agency or instrument devoted to the performance of some specific function
- Patent and Trademark Office Database / Patent Office = the government bureau in the Department of Commerce that keeps a record of patents and trademarks and grants new ones
- United States Government Printing Office / US Government Printing Office / Government Printing Office / GPO = an agency of the legislative branch that provides printing and binding services for Congress and the departments and establishments of the federal government
- National Guard Bureau / NGB = the agency that administers the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard
- United States Army / U. S. Army / US Army / Army / USA = the army of the United States of America
- Army Intelligence / AI = an agency of the United States Army responsible for providing timely and relevant and accurate and synchronized intelligence to tactical and operational and strategic level commanders
- Ballistic Missile Defense Organization / BMDO = an agency in the Department of Defense that is responsible for making ballistic missile defense a reality
- Defense Information Systems Agency / DISA = a combat support agency in the Department of Defense responsible for developing and operating and supporting information systems to serve the needs of the President and the Secretary of Defense and the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency / NGA = a combat support agency that provides geographic intelligence in support of national security
- Casualty Care Research Center / CCRC = an agency in the Department of Defense that is a national center for research on all aspects of injury control and casualty care
- Federal Housing Administration / FHA = the federal agency in the Department of Housing and Urban Development that insures residential mortgages
- local authority = an administrative unit of local government
- Air Force Research Laboratory / AFRL = a United States Air Force defense laboratory responsible for discovering and developing and integrating fighting technologies for aerospace forces
- Army High Performance Computing Research Center / AHPCRC = a United States defense laboratory to conduct research in high-performance computing for defense technology applications
- Naval Research Laboratory / NRL = the United States Navy's defense laboratory that conducts basic and applied research for the Navy in a variety of scientific and technical disciplines
- United States Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory / U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory / US Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory / USACIL = a defense laboratory of the Criminal Investigation Command
- a business or organization that provides a particular service, especially the mediation of transactions between two parties
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- more generic terms: business / business concern / business organisation / business organization / concern = a commercial or industrial enterprise and the people who constitute it
- more specific terms:
- advertising agency / ad agency = an agency that designs advertisement to call public attention to its clients
- credit bureau = a private firm that maintains consumer credit data files and provides credit information to authorized users for a fee
- detective agency = an agency that makes inquiries for its clients
- employment agency / employment office = an agency that finds people to fill particular jobs or finds jobs for unemployed people
- commercial agency / mercantile agency = an organization that provides businesses with credit ratings of other firms
- news organisation / news organization / press association / press agency / wire service / news agency = an agency to collects news reports for newspapers and distributes it electronically
- service agency / service bureau / service firm = a business that makes its facilities available to others for a fee
- travel agency = an agency that arranges personal travel
- transfer agent = an agency (usually a bank) that is appointed by a corporation to keep records of its stock and bond owners and to resolve problems about certificates
- the state of being in action or exerting power
- the state of serving as an official and authorized delegate or agent
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of agency: delegacy / representation
- more generic word: state = the way something is with respect to its main attributes
- more specific terms:
- thing or person that acts to produce a particular effect or achieve an end
- example: an example is the best agency of instruction
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of agency: means / way
- more generic words: effectuation / implementation = the act of implementing
- more specific terms:
- dint = interchangeable with `means' in the expression `by means of'
- escape = a means or way of escaping
- fast track = a rapid means of achieving a goal
- instrument / tool = the means whereby some act is accomplished
- road = a way or means to achieve something
- stepping stone = any means of advancement
- expedient = a means to an end
- desperate measure = desperate actions taken as a means to an end
- open sesame = any very successful means of achieving a result
- salvation = a means of preserving from harm or unpleasantness
- tooth = a means of enforcement
- voice = a means or agency by which something is expressed or communicated
- wings = a means of flight or ascent
Alternative definition of the noun agency
- The faculty of acting or of exerting power; the state of being in action; action; instrumentality.
- synonym: action
- See Agent.
- synonym: operation
- The office of an agent, or factor.
- synonym: efficiency
- The relation between a principal and his agent.
- synonym: instrumentality
- Business of one entrusted with the concerns of another.
- synonym: management
- The place of business of an agent.
- A bond issued by a US government-backed entity, such as Fannie Mae.
Specialised definition of the noun agency
Glossary of sports
the act of carrying out an action in a purposeful and voluntary way (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
- Agency is a city in Wapello County, Iowa, United States. The population was 638 at the 2010 census. It is the historic site of an Indian trading post and the grave of Chief Wapello.
- Agency is a village in Buchanan County, Missouri in the United States. The population was 684 at the 2010 census. It is part of the St. Joseph, MO–KS Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Agency is a census-designated place in Hill County, Montana, United States. The population was 324 at the 2000 census, and 348 according to a 2007 estimate.
"Agency" a.k.a. "The Agency" is a 1980 Canadian dramatic/thriller film. It was directed by George Kaczender, with a screenplay by Noel Hynd.
- read more about The Agency
- Agency: In sociology and philosophy, agency is the capacity of an agent to act in a world. The capacity to act does not at first imply a specific moral dimension to the ability to make the choice to act, and moral agency is therefore a distinct concept. In sociology, an agent is an individual engaging with the social structure. Notably, though, the primacy of social structure vs. individual capacity with regard to persons' actions is debated within sociology. This debate concerns, at least partly, the level of reflexivity an agent may possess.
- Agency: In the social sciences, agency is the capacity of individuals to act independently and to make their own free choices. By contrast, structure are those factors of influence that determine or limit an agent and his or her decisions. The relative difference in influences from structure and agency is debated – it's unclear to what extent a person's actions are constrained by social systems.
- Agency, in Latter-day Saint theology, is "the privilege of choice which was introduced by God the Eternal Father to all of his spirit children in the premortal state". Mortal life is viewed as a test of faith, where our choices are central to the plan of salvation in Mormon teaching. "It was essential for their eternal progression that they be subjected to the influences of both good and evil". Mormons believe that Lucifer presented an alternative plan, which resulted in a war in heaven, with Lucifer being cast out of heaven and becoming Satan.
- Agency which created the ad.
- The agency which created the campaign.
Phrases with Agency
- agency security
- ad agency
- un agency
- free agency
- news agency
- press agency
- causal agency
- Dating agency
- Escort agency
- Relief Agency
- travel agency
- federal agency
- russian agency
- service agency
- Highways Agency
- Marriage Agency
- detective agency
- executive agency
- commercial agency
- employment agency
View more phrases with the word Agency in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agency
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Katherine Renpenning, MScN, Susan Gebhardt Taylor, MSN, PhD, FAAN
Self-care agency is the power of the person to engage in self-care behaviors; the results or product of the use of those powers...
Self-care agency is a mechanism for determining the components of the therapeutic selfcare demand as well as a ...
The New Pragmatism by Robert W. Preucel, Stephen A. Mrozowski
Dobres and Robb then identify a variety of views, ranging from the idea that agency is the constitution of an individual as a...
by Jason W. Brown
Agency is the relation of a self to its own mental contents of which actions are one type.
by Great Britain: National Audit Office
The Agency is a trading fund with some 6,500 employees (of whom, approximately 75 per cent are administration and...
The Government Car and Despatch Agency The Agency is the first choice supplier of secure transport, distribution and ...
School Education (1907)
From Iowa Normal Monthly: "A teachers' agency is a necessity. A member certainly has a great advantage over a teacher not identified with a bureau, and school officers have through it a larger selection of well qualified teachers from which to ...
by William Mark McKinney, David Shephard Garland
Agency is a legal relation, founded upon the express or implied contract of the parties, or created by law, by virtue of...
98, the court approved the following definition: “Agency is the legal relation which arises when one party, ...
Economic Development (2016)
by CTI Reviews
The Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency is an international financial institution which offers political risk...
Writing Spaces in Hard Times by Richard J. Meyer
Agency means acting upon one's world as an individual or collectively in some way in order to change the power dynamics, thus changing the nature of knowledge, the contexts in which it is constructed, the legitimacy of its sources, and its ...
Environmental Sciences (2008)
A Student's Companion by K J Gregory, Ian Simmons, Anthony Brazel, John W Day, Edward A Keller, Alejandro Yanez-Arancibia, Arthur G Sylvester
The leading agency is the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) which collects data, provides information and encourages action across the whole field of environmental processes in atmospheric and terrestrial ecosystems as ...
Health Unit Coordinator (2016)
Medicine, Healthcare by CTI Reviews
A regulatory agency is a public authority or government agency responsible for exercising autonomous authority over some area of human activity in a regulatory or supervisory capacity. An independent regulatory agency is a regulatory ...
by Laura Anna Costanzo, Robert Bradley MacKay
Agency is a central theme in change management scholarship. However, we demonstrate in this chapter that change...
Uprooting and Development (2013)
Dilemmas of Coping with Modernization by George V. Coelho
We favor happiness and formal democracy; but our focus is on coping with uprootedness, and though happiness or voting may reflect an ability to cope, moral agency is a precondition of the possibility of any coping at all. By these assertions ...
Further, agency is a legal relationship that creates duties — and liabilities — to the principal.
The Word Became Flesh (2016)
A Rapprochement of Christian Natural Law and Radical Christological Ethics by David Griffin
Moral agency is the gifted capacity to do and pursue the right and the good contained in the divine-human covenant.
wrong and evil diminishes one's moral agency because moral agency is a dimension of humanity.
A Step by Step Guide to Finding Your Child by Dawn Davenport
Choosing an agency is the second-most-important decision in the adoption process, ranking second only to deciding whether to accept the referral of a child. ... Finding an agency is a little like dating, without the sloppy-kiss anxiety.
A Guide for Mental Health Professionals by Mike Slade
Social agency is the ability to view oneself as a person capable of choosing, initiating, doing and accomplishing...
Reducing Liability, Litigation, and Other Potential Legal Tangles by Robert F. Hachiya, Robert J. Shoop, Dennis R. Dunklee
An administrative agency is a government authority, other than a court or legislative body, that affects the rights of private parties through adjudication or rule making.
Internet Security Dictionary (2002)
by Vir V. Phoha
NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY (NSA ). It was renamed NATIONAL COMPUTER SECURITY CEN- TER (NCSC) in 1985.
by Jeffrey M. Elliot, Sheikh R. Ali
Agencies, Bureaus, and Commissions Agency for International Development ( AID) The Agency charged with the main responsibility of managing American economic, technical, and military assistance in foreign countries. AID is headed by a ...
by Donald Ricky
Dated and signed at Cheyenne River Agency, Dakota, this 21st day of December. Newton Edmunds. James H.
by John F. Clark, Samuel Decalo
ACI AEC AEF AN D AfDB AFRICAPLAST ALUCONGO ANAC AND ANP APN ARD ARN ASECNA ATC ATEC AU Acronyms and Abbreviations Agence Congolais d'Information (Congolese Information Agency) Association des Étudiants ...
by Glenmore S. Trenear-Harvey
AFESC Air Force Electronic Security Command AFOSI Air Force Office of Special Investigations AFSA Armed Forces Security Agency AFSS Air Force Security Service AIA Air Intelligence Agency ARIES Airborne Reconnaissance Integrated ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agency
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Agency
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Agency
Click on an item to play that video:
- Agency Meaning
Video shows what agency means. The capacity, condition, or state of acting or of exerting power; action or activity; operation.. A person or thing through which ...
- Translation agency Dialect Group
Translation agency Dialect Group in Chisinau, Moldova Dialect Group is the first translation agency from Chisinau, Moldova, based on the concept of on-line ...
- OLE, Agency - Meaning - Connection
This video is about OLE.
- Agency Disclosure Explanation
Explanation of South Carolina Agency Disclosure for real estate buyers and sellers. You can download the brochure at ...
- Definition of success in Market Research agency / client partnerships
Denyse Drummond-Dunn from C3Centricity is interviewed on her definition of success, by Helen Passingham-Hughes, TNS, London March 2007.
- Ask Elliott #44: Agency explanation at an Open House
- A 20111103 CFTC Gensler on Agency Definition of Excessive Speculation
- Showreel 2014 & Wishes from 87seconds - Explanation videos agency
- Meaning of agency
- Definition Of A Collection Agency
- Employment agency Meaning
Video shows what employment agency means. An organisation that matches employers to employees.. Employment agency Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Introduction agency Meaning
Video shows what introduction agency means. A company which arranges dates and marriages between men and women, often from different countries.
- Auto Insurance Quote Explanation | Alandale Insurance Agency - California Insurance
- Talent Plus Agency Toronto explains the vocabulary used on film set
- JEFF THREDGOLD |Definition of Economics | Collaborative Agency Group
- What Is The Definition Of Federal Emergency Management Agency - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- Agency Disclosure Acknowledgement Explanation
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Port and forwarding agency services
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Freight transport agency services
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = European Defence Agency
- Insurance Agency Job Description : Insurance Advice
- Language Translation Services Agency | RixTrans Ltd
RixTrans Ltd offers reliable translation, editing, proofreading, subtitling, voice-over and desktop publishing services in all Eastern European and Scandinavian ...
- Language Launchpad: Maya works for a translation agency
Maya studied Spanish at Leeds Metropolitan University, and spent her year abroad as a Language Assistant at a secondary school in Spain. She is now working ...
- Professional language translation services. Translation Agency
Native Speaker Translation Inc. Quick, accurate, high quality translation!
- Language Connect - Translation Services Agency - Office Design
Language Connect, a language, localization and multilingual digital marketing company recently decorated its London offices. Art students were commissioned ...
- Role Description | Account Director | Digital Agency
Join a progressive and passionate global company within Digital, growing and nurturing accounts with billion dollar turnover clients! 125K+!!
- Language Connect - Translation Services Agency - London Office Move
A brief video on Language Connect's office move in summer 2011.
- Walk to Language Connect's Office - Translation Agency London
A short video on walking direction from London Bridge station to the Language Connect's London head office.
- Language Launchpad: Tilly is a Project Manager at a Language Versioning Agency
- Kashmiri language translation | Translation agency in India
View more videos about Free Agency, News agency, Press Agency, Dating agency, Relief Agency, Travel agency, Highways Agency, Marriage Agency, Detective Agency, Syndication Agency, and Intelligence agency.
See also the pronunciation examples of Agency!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Agency
In my professional work with the Agency, by the late '70s, I had come to question the value of a great deal of what we were doing, in terms of the intelligence agency's impact on American policy. (Aldrich Ames)
more quotes about agency...
Scrabble value of A1G2E1N1C3Y4
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AGENCY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Agency!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Agency to see it in context!