The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun agent:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun agent
- Phrases with Agent
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agent
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agent
- Photos about Agent
- Videos about Agent
- Sign language
- Quotes about Agent
- Scrabble value of A1G2E1N1T1
- Anagrams of AGENT
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun agent
What does agent mean as a name of something?
Agent is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: agents
- an active and efficient cause; capable of producing a certain effect
- example: their research uncovered new disease agents
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- more generic terms: causal agency / causal agent / cause = any entity that produces an effect or is responsible for events or results
- more specific terms:
- vasoconstrictive / vasoconstrictor / pressor = any agent that causes a narrowing of an opening of a blood vessel: cold or stress or nicotine or epinephrine or norepinephrine or angiotensin or vasopressin or certain drugs
- biological agent / biohazard = any bacterium or virus or toxin that could be used in biological warfare
- eliminator = an agent that eliminates something
- impairer = an agent that impairs
- infectious agent / infective agent = an agent capable of producing infection
- lethal agent = an agent capable of causing death
- motor = a nonspecific agent that imparts motion
- mutagen = any agent (physical or environmental) that can induce a genetic mutation or can increase the rate of mutation
- invigorator / enlivener / quickener = an agent that gives or restores life or vigor
- relaxer = any agent that produces relaxation
- represser / repressor = an agent that represses
- retardation / retardant / retardent = any agent that retards or delays or hinders
- satisfier = any agent capable of producing satisfaction
- shortener = any agent that shortens
- stressor = any agent that causes stress to an organism
- teratogen = any agent that interferes with normal embryonic development: alcohol or thalidomide or X-rays or rubella are examples
- transmitter / vector = any agent (person or animal or microorganism) that carries and transmits a disease
- weakener = that which weakens or causes a loss of strength
- a representative who acts on behalf of other persons or organizations
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic word: representative = a person who represents others
- more specific terms:
- business agent = an agent who handles business affairs for another
- literary agent = an agent who represents an author in dealings with publishers
- bailee = the agent to whom property involved in a bailment is delivered
- booking agent / booker = someone who engages a person or company for performances
- surrogate / deputy = a person appointed to represent or act on behalf of others
- employment agent = someone who runs an employment agency
- freight agent = an employee of a freight carrier who directs the receipt and delivery of goods
- government agent = a representative or official of a government or administrative department of a government
- handler = an agent who handles something or someone
- mill agent = the responsible official at a mill that is under absentee ownership
- next friend = a person who acts on behalf of an infant or disabled person
- parliamentary agent = a person who is employed to look after the affairs of businesses that are affected by legislation of the British Parliament
- placeholder / procurator / proxy = a person authorized to act for another
- purchasing agent = an agent who purchases goods or services for another
- intelligence officer / intelligence agent / secret agent / operative = a person secretly employed in espionage for a government
- shipping agent = the agent of a shipowner
- shopper = a commercial agent who shops at the competitor's store in order to compare their prices and merchandise with those of the store that employs her
- special agent = someone whose authority is limited to the special undertaking they have been instructed to perform
- talent agent = an agent who represents performers
- universal agent / general agent = someone authorized to transact every kind of business for the principal
- a substance that exerts some force or effect
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- more generic terms: causal agency / causal agent / cause = any entity that produces an effect or is responsible for events or results; substance = a particular kind or species of matter with uniform properties
- more specific terms:
- antiflatulent = any agent that reduces intestinal gas
- antimycotic agent / antifungal agent / antimycotic / antifungal / fungicide = any agent that destroys or prevents the growth of fungi
- antimicrobial / antimicrobic / disinfectant / germicide = an agent (as heat or radiation or a chemical) that destroys microorganisms that might carry disease
- drug = a substance that is used as a medicine or narcotic
- vermicide = an agent that kills worms
- gastric antacid / alkaliser / alkalizer / antiacid / antacid = an agent that counteracts or neutralizes acidity
- bacteriostat = a chemical or biological material that inhibits bacterial growth
- blanching agent / bleaching agent / whitener / bleach = an agent that makes things white or colorless
- chemical agent = an agent that produces chemical reactions
- coagulator / coagulant = an agent that produces coagulation
- coolant = a fluid agent (gas or liquid) that produces cooling
- dilutant / diluent / thinner = a diluting agent
- emmenagogue = any agent that promotes menstrual discharge
- galactagogue = agent that induces milk secretion
- hypnagogue = an agent that induces drowsiness or sleep
- hypoglycaemic agent / hypoglycemic agent = any of various agents that decrease the level of glucose in the blood and are used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus
- inducer = an agent capable of activating specific genes
- lactifuge = any agent that reduces milk secretion
- lactogen = any agent that enhances milk production
- mitogen = an agent that triggers mitosis
- nerve agent / nerve gas = a toxic gas that is inhaled or absorbed through the skin and has harmful effects on the nervous and respiratory system
- precipitant = an agent that causes a precipitate to form
- solvating agent = an agent that converts something into a solvate
- viricide / virucide = an agent (physical or chemical) that inactivates or destroys viruses
- a businessman who buys or sells for another in exchange for a commission
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of agent: broker / factor
- more generic words: bourgeois / businessperson = a capitalist who engages in industrial commercial enterprise
- more specific terms:
- auctioneer = an agent who conducts an auction
- insurance broker / insurance agent / general agent / underwriter = an agent who sells insurance
- investment banker / underwriter = a banker who deals chiefly in underwriting new securities
- real estate broker / real estate agent / estate agent / house agent / land agent = a person who is authorized to act as an agent for the sale of land
- ship broker = an agent for the ship owner
- stockbroker = an agent in the buying and selling of stocks and bonds
- syndic = one appointed to represent a city or university or corporation in business transactions
- travel agent = someone who sells or arranges trips or tours for customers
- member of: brokerage / brokerage firm / securities firm = a stock broker's business
- any agent or representative of a federal agency or bureau
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of agent: federal agent
- more generic words: functionary / official = a worker who holds or is invested with an office
- more specific terms:
- the semantic role of the animate entity that instigates or causes the happening denoted by the verb in the clause
Specialised definition of the noun agent
Glossary of finance / insurance
a manager or expert who engages in financial or business activities and is authorized to act on behalf of third parties
Glossary of sports
somebody who officially represents somebody else in business, usually under contract (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
"Agent" is a video game.
- mode: Single-player video game
- developer: Rockstar North
- publisher: Rockstar Games
- Agent: Agents are a group of characters in The Matrix franchise. They are sentient computer programs, displaying a high-level of artificial intelligence, and are representatives, or "Agents", within the Matrix fictional universe. They are guardians within the computer-generated world of the Matrix, protecting it from anyone or anything that could reveal it as a false reality or threaten it in any other way. Agents also hunt down and terminate any rogue programs, such as The Keymaker, which no longer serve a purpose to the overall Machine collective. They appear physically human, but have a tendency to speak and act in highly precise and mechanical ways.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2005 film XXX: State of the Union / XXX: The Next Level.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2012 film Death of a Man in the Balkans.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2010 film I Saw the Devil.
- Agent is a fictional charcter from the 2011 film Always Kabhi Kabhi.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2003 film Amma Nanna O Tamila Ammayi.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2008 film Neninthe.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2009 film Loudspeaker.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 1979 film Apocalypse Now.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2012 film The Girl.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2007 film Smiley Face.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2012 drama film The Girl.
- Agent is a fictional character from The Undercover Man.
- Agent is a fictional character from 2008 film Cape No. 7.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2011 movie Killer Elite.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 1945 film Sensation Hunters.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2003 film A Detective Story.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2008 film Un aliado en el tiempo.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 1927 film Bet zit in de penarie.
- Agent is a fictional character from Lucker.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 1999 film Ragdoll.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2012 film Total Recall.
- The Agent is a fictional character featured in some Marvel Comics publications.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2004 film The Murder of Donovan Slain.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 2011 film Sleeping Beauty.
- Agent is a fictional character from the 1972 film Frankenstein '80.
There are other characters with in their name, like Agent J, Agent K, Agent L, Agent T, Agent X, Agent Z, Agent-X, Agent #1, Agent 00, Agent 47, Agent 99, Agent Aa, Agent Oh, agent p., Agent Kay, Agent Zed, DSS Agent, FBI Agent, MIB Agent.
"Agent" is a composition.
Agent is a musical group.
- album: "Awake in Their World"
AGENT is an Aviation waypoint.
- Agent: In linguistics, a grammatical agent is a thematic relation that refers to the cause or initiator of an event. The agent is a semantic concept distinct from the subject of a sentence. While the subject is determined syntactically, primarily through word order, the agent is determined through its relationship to the action expressed by the verb. The word comes from the present participle agens, agentis of the Latin verb agere, to "do" or "make".
- Agent: In economics, an agent is an actor and decision maker in a model. Typically, every agent makes decisions by solving a well- or ill-defined optimization/choice problem.
- Agent: 민법상 대리인은 스스로 의사를 결정하여 표시하는 자이므로 단순히 본인의 의사를 전달, 완성시키는 사자와는 다르다. 또한 대리인의 행위는 그 효과가 본인에게 귀속하므로 법인의 행위 그 자체로 되는 법인의 대표와도 다르다.
- Agent: The collection of underspecified individuals-- tangible or otherwise -- which are typically conceptualized by human beings for purposes of common-sense reasoning as contributing agents.
Phrases with Agent
Phrases starting with the word Agent:
Phrases ending with the word Agent:
- fbi agent
- law agent
- book agent
- free agent
- land agent
- mill agent
- road agent
- toll agent
- User agent
- claim agent
- house agent
- nerve agent
- press agent
- active agent
- bridge agent
- causal agent
- county agent
View more phrases with the word Agent in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agent
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
18th Australian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Sydney, Australia, December 5-9, 2005, Proceedings by Shichao Zhang, Ray Jarvis
The agent is the TM of an AT for period t, and it is currently performing a task. (0, 2, 0) The agent is the TL of an AT, and it is performing no task currently. ( We assume that the TL cannot quit from its AT and let t value of a TL equal to 0.) ...
Smart Networks (2002)
by Xiaopeng Li, Olli Martikainen, Mohammed Ismail, Kimmo Raatikainen
The first agent is a creator agent (C) that is the superintendent of the role N_44 ( neighbourhood of the satellite 44).
The New York Guide to Buying the Home You Want by Gea Elika
A real estate agent is a person qualified to advise about real estate. If you need legal, tax or other advice, consult with a professional in that field. Disclosure Regarding Real Estate Agency Relationships Seller's Agent A seller's agent is an ...
An agent is an entity that can be viewed as perceiving its environment through sensors and acting upon its environment through effectors...
by Marcia Darvin Spada
A designated agent is a salesperson or an associate broker, supervised by a broker, who is assigned to represent a client when a different client is also represented by such real estate broker in the same transaction. A broker who acts as a ...
by Larry B. Rainey, Andreas Tolk
Knowledge Boundary and the Strong Emergent Behavior at Multiple Levels of CCS Levels/complex Knowledge boundary effects Resultant strong emergent adaptive behavior behavior Individual/agent Agent is a modular ...
Indiana Real Estate Basics (2002)
The listing agent is a special agent; that is, one who is hired for a Short term and is receiving limited authority. Agency disclosures spell out the agency relationship. Even if all of the terms of the listing agreement are met, the seller's agent does ...
by Douglas N. Walton
An agent is an entity that has goals, and that takes actions to try to fulfill these goals (Wooldridge and Jennings, 1995).
by Douglas Walton
Generally, a rational agent is an entity that has goals, that takes actions to try to fulfill these goals, and that has the...
“A two-step process may be employed if the hydrocarbylsubstituted acylating agent is a polyester. The first step comprises forming a polyester by copolymerising a hydroxy-substituted C.sub.10-30 carboxylic acid as described above.
After Prostate Cancer (2011)
A What-Comes-Next Guide to a Safe and Informed Recovery by Arnold Melman M.D., Rosemary Newnham
A bulking agent is a pastelike substance that is injected just under the urethra, between the bladder neck and the urinary sphincter, to obstruct the flow of urine with sitting, standing, coughing, or any motion that makes you leak urine. The bulk ...
by Margaret R. O'Leary
agent 1. An infectious microorganism such as a virus, bacterium, parasite, or other microbe, or a physical ...
RESIDENT AGENT LAWS Countersignature ALABAMA.—For Casualty Only— May be issued outside the State, but must be countersigned by resident agent. ARKANSAS.—Surety and Casualty—Executed either at home office or by resident ...
Mosby's Dental Dictionary (2013)
agent, adrenergic blocking, n a drug that blocks the action of the neurohormones norepinephrine and/or epinephrine or of adrenergic drugs at sympathetic neuroeffectors. agent, adrenolytic blocking (ədrē′nə lit′ik), n an uncertain term ...
by Lee, In
Validate Mobile Store Certificates using TTP API's and communicate status via secure HTTPS connection through the Security Agent. The algorithm towards mobile phone purchase has been developed based on the architecture shown in ...
by Douglas M. Considine
PRINCIPAL CLASSES OF FOOD ADDITIVE CHEMICALS Function of Additive Title of Entry in this Volume Function of Additive Title of Entry in this Volume Acidifier Acidifiers, Alkalizers, Buffers, Leavening agent Bread and Bakery Products and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agent
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Agent
Click on an item to view that photo:
All dressed up.. and no place to go (well not quite true!)
Photo credit: devopstom
Photo credit: theBAFFLED
Photo credit: jaroh
- Politie Agent in Gent
Politie Agent in Gent Centrum
Photo credit: Guy Renard 25
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Agent
Click on an item to play that video:
- Testimony of an ex agent of Satan (90% in Twi-Ghanaian dialect) - Cindy Brown
This is a testimony of a Ghanaian evangelist called Cindy Brown. She worked as a high class agent of Satan for many years. She killed millions of people.
- Agent Meaning
Video shows what agent means. One who exerts power, or has the power to act; an actor.. One who acts for, or in the place of, another (the principal), by ...
- American Airlines Flight 1290 MIA to DCA - Gate agent explanation
First explanation of delay.
- Wetting agent Meaning
Video shows what wetting agent means. a substance, such as a surfactant, that reduces the surface tension of a liquid, allowing it to spread across, and ...
- Financial Planning : Definition of Enrolled Agent
An enrolled agent is a tax practitioner that is empowered by the U.S. government, specifically the treasury department. Get representation for a case with the IRS ...
- Admin and Agent Terminology Overview
Video on the overview of the steps involved in implementing a continuous data protection strategy.
- Money, Multiply & MEANING with Jeneth | The Change Agent
Money is a tool to use in this reality -- it's not necessarily a measure of YOUR value or worth. (it could be, if you are holding back)
- Simple explanation of tax in Australia by a tax agent
Ever wondered how to work out your tax refund? Tax agent Romeo Caporaso of...
- Racing Term #4 "Agent" of Frankie Lovato's 365 Days of Terminology
- Casting agent Meaning
Video shows what casting agent means. A person who finds jobs for actors, models, and other people in the entertainment business.. Casting agent Meaning.
- Catalytic agent Meaning
Video shows what catalytic agent means. a catalyst. Catalytic agent Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say catalytic agent.
- Flour treatment agent Meaning
Video shows what flour treatment agent means. A food additive added to flour in order to improve its properties.. flour treatment agent synonyms: improving ...
- Agent Adjective Cartoon
- Marta - language school agent from Spain
An interview with Marta, a language school agent from Spain, at the English Language Centre, Bristol.
- Nim Q Learning Agent - Description
Q-Learning for the Game of Nim (compare this with the Skittles Reinforcement learning in another video).
- Nim Skittles Agent - Description
- How to translate the taobao site into your language|Taobao agent
- Cubase 7.5 tutorial use Groove agent SE with Kamanche(Persian Language)
Adding nice effect to Kamanche (Persian Instrument) in cubase 7.5 with Groove Agent SE.
- Commercial Agent Description
- Intelligent Agent based Natural Language Understanding
This intelligent dialog is built around 2000, 11 years earlier than Apple's Siri. It is still one of best human-computer interaction demos. It's built by Dr. Yang Li, ...
- Thinking with the Body: Choreographic Language Agent | Wayne McGregor | Random Dance
Wayne McGregor is well known for his physically testing choreography and ground-breaking collaborations across dance, film, music, visual art, technology and ...
- International Soccer Schools & Language Camps - Agent Video
EduKick/Travel Sport Camp provides international soccer boarding schools and language immersion sports camps in Europe, Mexico, USA, CAnada and Brazil.
- Aviapartner - Function Description: Check in Agent
View more videos about Agent 47, FBI Agent, Agent noun, Free agent, Agent Smith, Double agent, Drying Agent, Estate agent, Bargain Agent, Blowing agent, Foaming agent, Gelling agent, Glazing agent, Lifting Agent, Chemical Agent, Reducing agent, Transfer agent, Chelating Agent, Insurance Agent, Leavening agent, Oxidizing agent, Anticaking agent, Purchasing Agent, Thickening Agent, Pharmacological Agent, and Chemotherapeutic Agent.
See also the pronunciation examples of Agent!
American Sign Language AGENT
Quotes about Agent
Scrabble value of A1G2E1N1T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AGENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Agent!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Agent to see it in context!