The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun agitation:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun agitation
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agitation
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agitation
- Photos about Agitation
- Video language resources about Agitation
- Quotes about Agitation
- Scrabble value of A1G2I1T1A1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun agitation
What does agitation mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: agitations
- a mental state of extreme emotional disturbance
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- more generic terms: mental condition / mental state / psychological condition / psychological state = a mental condition in which the qualities of a state are relatively constant even though the state itself may be dynamic
- more specific words:
- a state of agitation or turbulent change or development
- the feeling of being agitated; not calm
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- antonym: calmness
- more generic word: feeling = the experiencing of affective and emotional states
- more specific words:
- disturbance usually in protest
- the act of agitating something; causing it to move around (usually vigorously)
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic words: motility / motion / move / movement = a change of position that does not entail a change of location
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun agitation
- The act of agitating, or the state of being agitated; the state of being moved with violence, or with irregular action; commotion.
- A stirring up or arousing; disturbance of tranquillity; disturbance of mind which shows itself by physical excitement; perturbation.
- Excitement of public feeling by discussion, appeals, etc.
- Examination or consideration of a subject in controversy, or of a plan proposed for adoption; earnest discussion; debate.
- "Agitation" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Agitation" is a musical album of Accuser.
- "Agitation" is a musical album of Am I Blood.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Agitation" is a musical album of İlhan Mimaroğlu.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Agitation" is a musical album of Objekt/Urian.
- released in (5 years ago)
Agitation often accompanies dementia and often precedes the diagnosis of common age-related disorders of cognition such as Alzheimer's disease.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agitation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Alzheimer Disease (2003)
Neuropsychology and Pharmacology by Gérard Emilien, Cécile Durlach, Kenneth L. Minaker, Bengt Winblad, Serge Gauthier, Jean-Marie Maloteaux
Agitation and aggression Agitation is a broad concept and is often used interchangeably with aggression.
Bipolar Disorders (2005)
Mixed States, Rapid Cycling and Atypical Forms by Andreas Marneros, Frederick Goodwin
Psychic agitation is a subjective symptom, but it has objective manifestations observable by others, and the descriptions given by the patients are so characteristic as to make this symptom as reliable as any other aspect of affect and mood.
Traumatic Brain Injury (2015)
by Jordan Grafman, Andres M. Salazar
POST-TRAUMATIC AGITATION Agitation is a form of delirium characterized by extreme emotional, aggressive, or disinhibited behaviors. It is a common problem in TBI patients and it tends to occur during the early stages of recovery as ...
Dialogues on Prophecy (1828)
christianizing of the constitution ; though we well know that the present agitation is the joint work of them and of the Roman Catholics ; and we confess, that we should be much pleased if the 255 wealth will be a Christian commonwealth, 80 .
Biology and Emotion (1989)
by Neil McNaughton
While agitation is a common initial response to removal of the mother, the extent to which depression is observed depends on the type of social structure of the groups involved. For example, bonnet macaques differ from pigtail macaques in ...
"The Significance of the Frontier in American History", and Other Essays by Frederick Jackson Turner
The recent Populist agitation is a case in point. Many a State that now declines any connection with the tenets of the Populists, itself adhered to such ideas in an earlier stage of the development of the State. A primitive society can hardly be ...
5 by Y. P. S. Bajaj
Mechanical stress due to agitation is a problem with cell suspension cultures ( Zenk 1978). In our model experiment, an air-lift type jar fermentor with a glass cylinder gave high cell growth rate. However, a large number of callus cells adhered ...
Agitation is a less common AE when comparing memantine treatment to placebo, but just as common when comparing AChEI treatment to placebo. Withdrawals in memantine-treated groups are comparable to placebo, and more common in ...
Psychiatry, 2 Volume Set (2015)
by Allan Tasman, Jerald Kay, Jeffrey A. Lieberman, Michael B. First, Michelle Riba
Agitation is a sign of many different ...
Chemical Reactor Modeling (2014)
Multiphase Reactive Flows by Hugo A. Jakobsen
Generally, agitation refers to forcing a fluid by mechanical means to flow in a vessel. Mixing usually implies the taking of two or more separate phases, or two fluids, and causing them to be randomly distributed through one another. There are a ...
by Ilya Zemtsov
Despite all its failures, however, agitation is an effective tool of ideological and political manipulation of the masses, contributing to a certain extent to the stability of ...
Volume 48 - Residual Refining and Processing to Safety: Operating Discipline by John J. McKetta Jr
Mild agitation is obtained by circulating the liquid with an impeller at superficial velocities of...
Agitation is required for two purposes: to improve heat transfer while the milk is being cooled, and to avoid fat separation and facilitate ...
by Kyriakos S. Markides
Although the definitions differ on whether inner experience is a defining characteristic, both consider agitation to be an observable state of increased activity that is not goal directed. Conceptual Models The DSM-IV-TR definition is applicable ...
Similes Dictionary (2013)
by Elyse Sommer
DREAM; STAGE AND SCREEN Coover, Robert AGITATION Copeland, Aaron MUSIC Coppard, A. E. BEHAVIOR; POLITICS/POLITICIANS; SILENCE Cornwall, Barry BRIGHTNESS Cornwell, Patricia HAIR ...
by W. Rubinstein, Michael A. Jolles
Immediately,however, agreat agitation grewup, often virulently antisemiticinnature, whichcompelled the governmentto repeal itsactin December1753. Inpopular texts, ballads,and prints Jews were accused ofritual murder,of wantingtoforce ...
by Sanjay Paswan, Pramanshi Jaideva
During the late 1970s, however, it became a subject of intense controversy and violent agitation. The anti-reservation movement took an ugly form, particularly in Gujarat, resulting in a number of deaths and considerable damage to property.
by D. Leigh, C.M. Pare, J. Marks
Agitation This is a state of restlessness usually, but not necessarily, arising out of subjective feelings of apprehension and accompanied by an inability to relax or to concentrate. The subject's behaviour is repetitive and aimless or, if it appears ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agitation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Agitation
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Agitation
Click on an item to play that video:
- Agitation Meaning
Video shows what agitation means. The act of agitating, or the state of being agitated; the state of being moved with violence, or with irregular action; commotion.
- Explanation of surface agitation
- Language Pandits Agitation at Kurnool Collectorate | 10tv
- The Y.K. Dictionary - Agitation
See also the pronunciation examples of Agitation!
Quotes about Agitation
Scrabble value of A1G2I1T1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 9-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Agitation to see it in context!