On this page:
- Definition of the noun agnus dei
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agnus Dei
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agnus Dei
- Photos about Agnus Dei
- Video language resources about Agnus Dei
- Sign language
- Anagrams of AGNUS DEI
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun agnus dei
What does agnus dei mean as a name of something?
- figure of a lamb; emblematic of Christ
- a liturgical prayer beginning with these Latin words
Alternative definition of the noun agnus dei
- [Roman Catholicism] A part of the mass beginning with the words "Agnus Dei", or the music to which it is set.
- [Roman Catholicism] A small model or a picture of a lamb with a cross.
- [Roman Catholicism] A bar of wax imprinted with a similar shape and blessed by the Pope.
- Agnus Dei a.k.a. Agnus÷Dei is a musical group.
- read more about Agnus÷Dei
- Agnus Dei is a musical group.
- album: "Minden"
- Agnus Dei is a musical group.
- album: "Wall of Pain"
- "Agnus Dei" is a choral composition in one movement by Samuel Barber, his own arrangement of his Adagio for Strings. In 1967, he set the Latin words of the liturgical Agnus Dei, a part of the Mass, for mixed chorus with optional organ or piano accompaniment. The music, in B-flat minor, has a duration of about eight minutes.
- music by Samuel Barber
- "Agnus Dei" a.k.a. "Lamb of God": Agnus Dei is a Latin term meaning Lamb of God, and was originally used to refer to Jesus Christ in his role of the perfect sacrificial offering that atones for the sins of humanity in Christian theology, harkening back to ancient Jewish Temple sacrifices. The phrase "Agnus Dei" refers to several uses of this title.
- read more about Lamb of God
- "Agnus Dei" is a composition.
- music by Georges Bizet
- "Agnus Dei" is a 2012 drama family war film written and directed by Agim Sopi.
- countries: Republic of Kosovo, Kosovo
- languages: Albanian language, Serbian language
- producers: Agim Sopi & Milazim Salihu
- executive producer: Milazim Salihu
- production design by Afrim Gora
- art direction by Afrim Gora
- written by Agim Sopi
- cinematography by Menduh Nushi
- edited by Agron Vula
- music by Mendi Mengjiqi
- genres: Family, War film, Drama
- released on
- "Agnus Dei" is a 1997 drama film written and directed by Cæcilia Holbek Trier.
- "Agnus Dei" is a 2010 documentary film written and directed by Alejandra Sánchez.
- Agnus Dei a.k.a. Lamb of God is a title for Jesus that appears in the Gospel of John. It appears at John 1:29, where John the Baptist sees Jesus and exclaims, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.
- read more about Lamb of God
- Agnus Dei: Lamb of God is an oil painting by the Spanish Baroque artist Francisco de Zurbarán. It is housed in the Prado Museum in Madrid, Spain.
- also known as Agnus Dei,
- Agnus Dei: In the Mass of the Roman Rite and also in the Eucharist of the Anglican Communion, the Lutheran Church, and the Western Rite of the Orthodox Church the Agnus Dei is the invocation to the Lamb of God sung or recited during the fraction of the Host.
- Agnus Dei, referring to the Christian theological concept the Lamb of God, and the associated liturgical text from the Roman Catholic Latin Mass has been set to music by many composers, as it is normally one of the movements or sections in a sung Mass setting. However, sometimes it stands alone, e.g., it provides the lyrics for Agnus Dei, the choral arrangement of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings.
- Agnus Dei is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agnus Dei
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
AGNUS DEI prayer. After eating, each one present sang a hymn or psalm and possibly prophesied. The Agape was supposed to promote Christian fellowship and love and to unite those participating in closer relationship with Christ, who was ...
Knights Templar Encyclopedia (2007)
The Essential Guide to the People, Places, Events, and Symbols of the Order of the Temple by Karen Ralls
Agnus Dei The Agnus Dei, or Lamb of God, symbol is found on a number of Knights Templar seals ...
by Colin Buchanan
AGNUS DEI. The Agnus Dei chant, while its scriptural basis is in John 1:29, appears to have forked off from the canticle Gloria in Excelsis (which juxtaposes “ Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world” with “have mercy upon us ”) in ...
by Joseph P. Swain
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi: miserere nobis. Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi: miserere nobis. Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi: dona nobis pacem. O Lamb of God, thattakest away the sin ofthe ...
London Encyclopaedia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature and Practical Mechanics (1829)
Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge
AGNUs Dei, in the church ...
Agnus Dei • (1) The liturgical chant which from ancient times has ...
The Prayer Book Dictionary (1912)
Ad Agnus Dei dicendum, accedant diaconus et subdiaconus ad sactrdotem, uterque a dextris, diaconus propior, subdiaconus remotior, et dicant privatim, Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi : miserere nobis. Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi ...
by Project Gutenberg
AGNUS DEI, the figure of a lamb bearing a cross, symbolical of the Saviour as the “Lamb of God.” The device is common in ecclesiastical art, but the name is especially given in the Church of Rome to a small cake made of the wax of the Easter ...
Comprising the History, Institutions and Antiquities of the Christian Church, from the Time of the Apostles to the Age of Charlemagne by Sir William Smith, Samuel Cheetham
tells us that this Pope first ordered that, at the time of the breaking of the Lord's body, the " Agnus Dei " should be chanted by clerks and people. Some think that Sergius ordered it to be said thrice, where it had previously been said only ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agnus Dei
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Agnus Dei
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Ecce Agnus Dei.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Agnus Dei
Click on an item to play that video:
- Agnus Dei Meaning
Video shows what Agnus Dei means. A liturgical chant recited as part of the Mass, beginning with those words, or the music to which it is set.. A small model or a ...
- Eyen eron (Agnus Dei in Efik Language) by Jude Nnam - Irene & Chris Wedding
A rendition of Agnus Dei in Efik Language by the Kaduna Archdiocesan Central English Choir and St. David English Choir at the wedding of Irene & Christopher ...
Agnus Dei - Sign Language by Dylan
Here's the 6th song Hallelujah, Hallelujah For the lord god almighty reigns Hallelujah, Hallelujah, For the lord god almighty reigns Hallelujah, Holy, Holy, Are ...
Anagrams of AGNUS DEI
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Agnus Dei!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Agnus Dei to see it in context!