On this page:
Agon is sometimes a misspelling of again.
Definition of the noun agon
What does agon mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: agons
- a festivity in ancient Greece at which competitors contended for prizes
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic words: celebration / festivity = any joyous diversion
- more specific terms:
- Isthmian Games = the ancient Panhellenic games held biennially on the Isthmus of Corinth in the first and third years of each Olympiad
- Nemean Games = the ancient Panhellenic games held biennially at Nemea in the second and fourth years of each Olympiad
- Olympian Games / Olympic Games = the ancient Panhellenic celebration at Olympia in honor of Zeus
- Pythian Games = the ancient Panhellenic celebration at Delphi held every four years in the third year of the Olympiad in honor of Apollo
Alternative definition of the noun agon
- A struggle or contest; conflict; especially between the protagonist and antagonist in a literary work.
- An intellectual conflict or apparent competition of ideas.
- A contest in ancient Greece, as in athletics or music, in which prizes were awarded.
- A two-player boardgame played with a hexagonally-tiled board, popular in Victorian times. Also known as queen's guard.
Agon a.k.a. Agón is a municipality located in the province of Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain. According to the 2004 census, the municipality has a human population of one hundred and ninety three.
- also known as Agón, Spain
- part of Spain
- Agon is a fictional character who has appeared in various comic book series published by Marvel Comics. The character is a member of the Inhumans, a race of beings who exist in Marvel's main shared universe, the Marvel Universe. He is best known as the father of Black Bolt. He was married to Rynda.
- Agon is a fictional film character.
"Agon" is a ballet for twelve dancers, with music by Igor Stravinsky and choreography by George Balanchine. Composition began in December 1953 but was interrupted the next year; work was resumed in 1956 and concluded on April 27, 1957; the music was first performed on June 17, 1957 in Los Angeles conducted by Robert Craft, while the first stage performance was given by the New York City Ballet on December 1, 1957 at the City Center of Music and Drama, New York. The composition's long gestation period covers an interesting juncture in Stravinsky's composing career, in which he moved from a diatonic musical language to one based on twelve-tone technique; the music of the ballet thus demonstrates a unique symbiosis of musical idioms. The ballet has no story, but consists of a series of dance movements in which various groups of dancers interact in pairs, trios, quartets etc. A number of the movements are based on 17th-century French court dances – saraband, galliard and bransle. It was danced as part of City Ballet's 1982 Stravinsky Centennial Celebration.
- music by Igor Stravinsky
"Agon" is a book by Luis Buñuel.
"Agon" is a 2012 drama family film written and directed by Robert Budina.
- also known as Ximeroma, Sunrise
- countries: France, Albania, Romania, Greece
- languages: Albanian language, Greek Language
- producer: Sabina Kodra
- executive producer: Greg Cokinakis
- art direction by Bianca Nikolarizi
- written by Robert Budina
- based on a story by Robert Budina
- cinematography by Marius Panduru
- edited by Eugen Kelemen
- music by Aldo Shllaku
- costume design by Emir Tourkeshi
- set decoration by Shpetim Baca
- genres: Drama, Family
- released on
- official website: www.agonfilm.com
- Agon is an ancient Greek word in reference to several things. In general, the term refers to a struggle or contest. In its broader sense of a struggle or contest, agon referred to a contest in athletics, chariot or horse racing, music or literature at a public festival in ancient Greece.
- AGON is a series of episodic adventure games for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows by Private Moon Studios. The game uses QuickTime VR-like panoramas in a first person camera mode. The game takes place starting in 1903.
- official website: www.agongame.com
- Agon is a strategy game for two players, played on a 6×6×6 hexagonal gameboard.
- also known as 爭位棋
- Agon is a newspaper published in Albania and based in Tirana. The paper was launched in 2007 as a free daily, being the first in its category.
- Agon: Manufactured in Germany between 1924 and 1928, the Agon featured a wide range of engine sizes from 173cc up to 996cc, from engine manufacturers such as Paque, Bradshaw and JAP.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agon
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Neil Faulkner
Agon means competition, contest, struggle, battle. Greeks imagine the...
Socratic Charis (2013)
Philosophy Without the Agon by Lisa Atwood Wilkinson
The agon proves inferiority and superiority among those who only appear equal. More generally, the agon is that practice that encourages us to determine whom, among Many, is signally One. 9 The purpose of this chapter, then, is to show not ...
by Griffiths, Paul
Agon is an abstract ballet. Its title is taken from the Greek word for contest,
Textile World (1919)
The GARDNER AIR W'AGON is an especially convenient machine for cleaning machinery. It is a complete compressor on wheels, small, easily portable and can be moved to any part of the mill, between machines, etc. A lamp socket provides ...
New Testament Masculinities (2004)
by Stephen D. Moore, J. C. a. Anderson
Sometimes the agon is the athletic contest. In 1 Tim 6:12 (“Compete well for the faith. Lay hold of eternal life, to which you were called when you made the noble confession in the presence of many witnesses”; agonizou ton kalon agona tes ...
Lectures in the Philosophy of Art by Joseph Margolis
The modernist/postmodernist agon is the mark of our distraction. That is why, for instance, Hutcheon s (postmodernist) proposal to discount, as in the novels of E. L. Doctorow, the reasoned disjunction between fiction and reality or between ...
The Electrical Engineer (1908)
An Agon is the general, or generic, unit of the kind called horse-power or kilowatt, whose dimensions are M1 L2 T-3. The difference between an "ergon" and an " erg" is that while an erg is a perfectly definite and particular quantity of energy ...
An International Reference Work in 5 Volumes by Stanley Hochman, McGraw-Hill, inc
The agon is an integral part of the structure of Greek Old Comedy and may be found in almost any play by Aristophanes (ca. 445 B.c.-ca. 385 B.C.) Alexandrine Line of verse containing six iambic feet (iambic hexameter). The Alexandrine was ...
by Bethany Nuckolls
Reading Two: Agon Agon is the friction created by two 2.
Dancers as Diplomats (2015)
American Choreography in Cultural Exchange by Clare Croft
Agon is a supposedly abstract dance performed in practice clothes: black leotards and pink tights for the women and black tights and white tshirts for the men. Mitchell and Balanchine made the male role a signature one for Mitchell in the City ...
by John Oswald
ten : as, dec' agon, a figure with ten ...
The Nietzsche Dictionary (2014)
by Douglas Burnham
agon religious figure, conceived of the cosmos as a battle between good and evil forces. Fourth, there are later philosophers or scientists who, in one way or another, posit conflict at the root of human or animal action. These would include ...
by Henry Buck
AGON., Ars., Asa., BELL., Bry., Caust., CHAM., Chin., CLEM., Co/., COLOC., Jgna ., KALM., Kreas., Lyc., MERC., Mez., Nux, Phosp., Puts., SPIG., Staph., Verat. (Of the head) — Glon., Kalm., Staph. Night. — (Worse at) — Aeon., Ars., Aur., Bell., ...
by George D. Chryssides
AGON SHU. A Japanese new religion, founded by Kiriyama Kancho, born Tsutsumi Masuo (1921—), combining elements of Theravada, Mahayana, and esoteric forms of Buddhism, principally Tibetan, with some aspects of Shinto and Taoism.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agon
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Agon
Click on an item to view that photo:
AGon Warming Up
looks like a pitcher's windup
Photo credit: Eric Kilby
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Agon
Video shows what agon means. A struggle or contest; conflict; especially between the protagonist and antagonist in a literary work.. An intellectual conflict or ...
Scrabble value of A1G2O1N1
The value of this 4-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AGON
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Agon!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Agon to find many related words and phrases!