On this page:
"Ah, Wilderness!" is a book by Eugene O'Neill, published in (83 years ago).
- also known as "Ah, wilderness!: a comedy of recollection in three acts"; O Wildnis
"Ah, Wilderness!" is a 1935 American film adaptation of the Eugene O'Neill play of the same name starring Wallace Beery. The picture was shot in Grafton, Massachusetts, at the common in the center of town, and was directed by Clarence Brown. Beery plays the drunken uncle later portrayed on Broadway by Jackie Gleason, and the film features Lionel Barrymore, Eric Linden, Cecilia Parker, Spring Byington, and a young Mickey Rooney. Rooney also stars in MGM's musical remake Summer Holiday.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Clarence Brown & Hunt Stromberg
- art direction by Cedric Gibbons
- Lionel Barrymore
- Wallace Beery
- Aline MacMahon as Lily Davis
- Eric Linden as Richard 'Dick' Miller
- Cecilia Parker as Muriel McComber
- Spring Byington as Essie Miller
- Mickey Rooney as Tommy Miller
- Charley Grapewin as Mr. Dave McComber
- Frank Albertson as Arthur Miller
- Edward Nugent as Wint Selby
- Bonita Granville as Mildred Miller
- Helen Flint as Belle
- Helen Freeman as Miss Hawley
- cinematography by Clyde De Vinna
- music by Herbert Stothart, Edward Ward
- genres: Black-and-white, Comedy
- tagline: The play that startled the nation!
- released in (81 years ago)
- Ah, Wilderness! is a 1998 theater production of a play by Eugene O'Neill.
- Ah, Wilderness! is a 1984 theater production of a play by Eugene O'Neill.
- Ah, Wilderness! is a 1988 theater production of the play by Eugene O'Neill.
- Ah, Wilderness! is a 1976 theater production of a play by Eugene O'Neill.
- award: - Tony Award for Best Direction of a Play nomination for Arvin Brown
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Ah, Wilderness!
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Nature's Veiled Purpose in the Plays by Robert Baker-White
Ah, Wilderness! is a slight play, notably devoid of real character development and with a plot barely full enough to carry its action through. What surprises most critics is that O'Neill had it within him to write such a comic piece at all— especially ...
The Aesthetics of Failure (2001)
Dynamic Structure in the Plays of Eugene O'Neill by Zander Brietzke
Ah, Wilderness! is a nostalgic play, but it's more than a warm view of the past and the good old days. The experience of the play is also about time and the e›ect of looking back in time and recognizing ...
by EPUB 2-3
Work Author: Eugene O'Neill The only comedy written by Eugene O'Neill, Ah, Wilderness! is a richly imagined, atmospheric depiction of the world of O' Neill's adolescence, set inasmall Connecticut town on the Fourth of July weekend of ...
Eugene O'Neill (2007)
by Harold Bloom
Ah, Wilderness! is a play without ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ah, Wilderness!
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Quotes about Ah, Wilderness!
Simply put, I believe we should not seek the lowest common denominator when it comes to wilderness and saddle a wilderness designation with exceptions, exclusions, and exemptions. (Nick Rahall)
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ah, Wilderness! to see it in context!