On this page:
- "Air America" is a 1990 American action comedy film directed by Roger Spottiswoode, starring Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr. as Air America pilots, during the Vietnam War, flying missions in Laos. When the protagonists discover their planes are being used by other government agents to smuggle heroin, they must avoid being made patsies in a frame-up.
- countries: United States of America, Thailand
- languages: English Language, Lao Language
- producers: Mario Kassar, Andrew G. Vajna, Daniel Melnick
- executive producers: Mario Kassar & Andrew G. Vajna
- production design by Allan Cameron
- art direction by Lek Chaiyan Chunsuttiwat
- written by John Eskow & Richard Rush
- based on a story by Christopher Robbins
- Robert Downey Jr. as Billy Covington
- Mel Gibson as Gene Ryack
- David Marshall Grant as Rob Diehl
- Nancy Travis as Corinne Landreaux
- Lane Smith as Senator Davenport
- Ken Jenkins as Major Donald Lemond
- Michael Dudikoff as General Lee
- Sinjai Plengpanich as May Ling
- Art LaFleur as Jack Neely
- Ned Eisenberg as Pirelli
- Marshall Bell as O.V.
- David Bowe as Saunders
- Burt Kwouk as General Lu Soong
- Tim Thomerson as Babo
- Harvey Jason as Nino
- casting by Janet Hirshenson & Jane Jenkins
- cinematography by Roger Deakins
- edited by John Bloom & Lois Freeman-Fox
- music by Charles Gross
- costume design by John Mollo
- genres: War film, Action Film, Adventure Film, Comedy, Buddy film
- subjects: Vietnam War, Aviation
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (25 years ago)
- Air America is an American action/adventure television series starring Lorenzo Lamas, and premiering on October 4, 1998. The series is not based on the 1990 film Air America.
- begun on and completed on (15 years ago)
- 22 episodes of 60 minutes each
- country: United States of America
- regular cast:
- genres: Adventure Film, Action Film, Action/Adventure, Action
- Air America was an American radio network specializing in progressive talk programming. It was on the air from March 2004 to January 2010.
- official website: www.airamericaradio.com
- Air America was an American passenger and cargo airline established in 1950 and covertly owned by the United States Government and was initially a CIA project for intelligence operations in China. The CIA did not have enough work to keep the asset afloat and the National Security Council farmed the airline out to various government entities that included the USAF, U.S Army, USAID and for a brief time the French Republic. Essentially, Air America was used by the U.S. Government covertly and clandestinely to conduct military operations, posing as a civilian air carrier, in areas the U.S. Armed forces could not go due to treaty restraints contained in the 1954 and 1962 Geneva Accords.
- Air America Airlines was a short-lived charter airline founded in 1989, but discontinuing service in 1990.
Air America Radio is a national progressive entertainment talk radio network.. AAR is broadcast in the top US markets and on XM satellite radio with hosts like Al Franken, Randi Rhodes, Janeane Garafalo and Jerry Springer..
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Air America
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Films of Mel Gibson (2001)
by John McCarty
Air America is a genial but unexceptional comedy-satire about a. Credits Producers: Mario Kassar, Daniel Melnick, and Andrew G. Vajna; Director: Roger Spottiswoode; Screenwriters: John Eskow, Richard Rush, and Fernando Trueba; ...
The Secret Team (2011)
The CIA and Its Allies in Control of the United States and the World by L. Fletcher Prouty, Jesse Ventura
Air America is a most important adjunct of the CIA. When the travel to Mecca is heaviest with the devout Moslems involved in the hadj, a nondescript old transport aircraft will shuttle pilgrims across the Arabian desert. When summer travel ...
Nothing Ever Dies (2016)
Vietnam and the Memory of War by Viet Thanh Nguyen
Air America is a big-tonnage dumb bomb that only throws up dust and thunder, leaving the enemy intact, a movie so bad it seems like a parody of a Hollywood blockbuster. In contrast, Gran Torino wins the hearts and minds of audiences and ...
Special Ops (2002)
by W.E.B. Griffin
Air America is a painful subject. No one was supposed to know of our interest in it . We need an airline that doesn't have parenthesis CIA close parenthesis painted on the tail of its airplanes.” “There have been several suggestions,” O'Connor ...
American Phi (2010)
by Karl Vincent
Air America is a profit only enterprise, ...
by Martin Stuart-Fox
Air America shuttled supplies to Phoumi's forces in Savannakhet from bases in Thailand and were resupplying Hmong guerrillas before the Battle of Viang Chan . Following the Battle of Viang Chan, the retreat of Neutralist forces to the Plain of ...
by Rodney Carlisle
A PARAMILITARY OPERATION coordinated by the CIA, Air America functioned from 1955 to 1974 with a mission to provide transport support to anti-communist guerrilla factions in Laos and Vietnam under the guise of a public airline. After the ...
by Michael A. Turner
AIR AMERICA. A front company, formally known as a proprietary company, of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Air America was established in the early 1950s essentially to support American military operations in Vietnam, Laos, and ...
by Christopher H. Sterling, Cary O'Dell
Air America Radio (AAR) is a networkthat emphasizesliberalpolitical talk shows in contrast to the conservativetone ofmostsyndicatedtalk programming. From the beginning, however, AAR struggled with insufficient capital, too few affiliate ...
An Encyclopedia of American Espionage by Glenn Peter Hastedt
Air America was officially terminated in 1976.
by Martin Folly
AIR AMERICA. In 1950 ...
by James Stuart Olson
AIR AMERICA. During the course of U.S. involvement in Indochina during the 1950s and 1960s, the Central Intelligence Agency* (CIA) carried out a variety of clandestine and intelligence-gathering activities. In doing so, the agency often ...
Over 800 Phrases Used in International and Covert Espionage by Bob Burton
Air America The airline used by the CIA to support its paramilitary operations in Southeast Asia, specifically in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand. air intelligence Formerly air combat intelligence. This term applies more to naval ...
Covering American Politics in the 21st Century: An Encyclopedia of News Media Titans, Trends, and Controversies [2 volumes] (2016)
by Lee Banville
“Air America Stops Live Programming, Heads Towards Bankruptcy.” FishbowlNY .com. January 21. Accessed January 12, 2015. http://www. mediabistro.com /fishbowlny/air-america-stops-live-programming-heads-towards -bankruptcy _ ...
by Ronald B. Frankum Jr.
Air America made it possible for the U.S. to conduct its war in Laos without drawing attention to America's increasing involvement in that neutral country. In April 1972, Director of Central Intelligence Richard Helms ordered the CIA to end its ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Air America
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Air America
Click on an item to view that photo:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Air America to see it in context!