The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun airman:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun airman
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Airman
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Airman
- Photos about Airman
- Video language resources about Airman
- Quotes about Airman
- Scrabble value of A1I1R1M3A1N1
- Anagrams of AIRMAN
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun airman
What does airman mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: airmen
- someone who operates an aircraft
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of airman: aeronaut / aviator / flier / flyer
- more generic terms: skilled worker / skilled workman / trained worker = a worker who has acquired special skills
- more specific terms:
- Floyd Bennett / Bennett = United States aviator who (with Richard E. Byrd) piloted the first flight over the North Pole
- Louis Bleriot / Bleriot = French aviator who in 1909 made the first flight across the English Channel
- Jacqueline Cochran / Cochran = United States aviator who held several speed records and headed the women's Air Force pilots in World War II
- James Harold Doolittle / Jimmy Doolittle / Doolittle = United States Air Force officer who electrified the world in 1942 by leading a squadron of 16 bombers on a daylight raid over Tokyo
- Amelia Earhart / Earhart = first woman aviator to fly solo nonstop across the Atlantic
- Howard Robard Hughes / Howard Hughes / Hughes = United States industrialist who was an aviator and a film producer
- Charles Augustus Lindbergh / Charles A. Lindbergh / Charles Lindbergh / Lucky Lindy / Lindbergh = United States aviator who in 1927 made the first solo nonstop flight across the Atlantic Ocean
- William Mitchell / Billy Mitchell / Mitchell = United States aviator and general who was an early advocate of military air power
- Wiley Post / Post = United States aviator who in 1933 made the first solo flight around the world
Alternative definition of the noun airman
- A pilot of an aircraft
- A member of an air force
- A rank in the U.S. Air Force above Airman Basic and below Airman First Class.
- Airman is a fictional, comic-book superhero first published by Centaur Publications during the late 1930s to 1940s period fans and historians call the Golden Age of Comic Books. He first appeared in Keen Detective Funnies #23, in a story by artist Harry Sahle and an unconfirmed writer, generally credited as George Kapitan.
- Airman is a fictional character from the 1979 film The Sheriff and the Satellite Kid.
- Airman is a fictional character from the 2002 film Quicksand.
- Airman is a fictional character from the 1955 film Strategic Air Command.
- Airman is a fictional character from the 1983 film WarGames.
"Airman", by Eoin Colfer, is a best-selling historical adventure novel set in the 19th century. It was released in the UK, Ireland and USA in January 2008. The novel was shortlisted for the 2009 Carnegie Medal.
- language: English Language
- genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical fiction, Speculative fiction
- copyright: 2008-01-02
- released on (8 years ago)
- award: - Carnegie Medal nomination for Eoin Colfer
- Airman a.k.a. Pilot: An aircraft pilot or aviator is a person who actively and directly operates the directional flight controls of an aircraft while it is in flight. While other members of a flight crew such as flight engineer, navigator, or any other person involved in the direct flight operations of an aircraft, are also considered "aviators", they are not pilots and do not command a flight or aircraft. Aircrew who are not involved in operating the aircraft's flight systems as well as ground crew are not generally classified as aviators.
- also known as Aviator
- Airman: An airman is a member of the air component of a nation's armed service. In the United States Air Force, it can also refer to a specific enlisted rank.
- also known as Flugzeugführer
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Airman
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
March in Step and Close Ranks with Proven Strategies of Success for Building Your Leadership Skills and Earning Your Next Stripe by MARK C. OVERTON
Use the following tips for media engagements or contact your PA office for further guidance: Every Airman is a spokesperson for the air force. Every Airman is an operator in the information environment. Be truthful—don't ever lie! Saying ...
American Jewish Films (2013)
The Search for Identity by Lawrence J. Epstein
Noel Airman is the man Marjorie loves.
airman /'esman/ noun: airmen An airman is a member of the air force below officer rank. airplane /'eoplein/ noun (AmE): airplanes An airplane is an aeroplane. airport / eapoit/ noun: airports An airport is a place where aircraft ...
by Jeffrey Wayne Vincoli
airman A pilot, mechanic...
by Dean A. Stahl, Karen Landen
for general patronage A1c Airman, first class A/1C Airman First Class A-1 Skyraider Douglas single-engine attack aircraft (formerly AD) A-2 ...
Dictionary of Aviation (1911)
by Robert Morris Pierce
by Justin Corfield
airman]. Located. within. the Taesongsan Pleasure Ground, in the northeast of the city, this zoo was established in April 1959 and covers 270 hectares. It has a wide range of animals, many of which have been donated by visiting leaders, ...
by Thomas Thomson
Airman, William Scots Magazine, 1791; Cunningham's Lives of Painters, Sec., .... 38 Alton, William Obituaries of the Magazines, .
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Airman
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Airman
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Airman
Click on an item to play that video:
- Airman Meaning
Video shows what airman means. A pilot of an aircraft. A member of an air force. A rank in the U.S. Air Force above Airman Basic and below Airman First Class.
- Language Enabled Airman Program - Capt Reni Angelova
The Language Enabled Airman Program, or LEAP, is a career-spanning program designed to identify, develop, and sustain America's foreign language and ...
- Airman Creates Friend, Despite Language Barrier
2015 - DoD News highlights Airman Marisela Hocker and the friendship she fostered with the Italian she stood guard with at Aviano Air Base, Italy.
See also the pronunciation examples of Airman!
Quotes about Airman
One of the things that makes our military the best in the world is the certain knowledge of each soldier, sailor, airman, and Marine that they can always count on their comrades should they need help - that they will never be abandoned. (Jon Kyl)
more quotes about airman...
Scrabble value of A1I1R1M3A1N1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AIRMAN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Airman!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Airman to see it in context!