Airy appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Stop, Syrian, I see bees in airy spots.
- In airy Sahara's level, Sarah, a Syrian, I.
- Stop, Syrian, I start at rats in airy spots.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective airy:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective airy
- Phrases with Airy
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Airy
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Airy
- Photos about Airy
- Video language resources about Airy
- Quotes about Airy
- Scrabble value of A1I1R1Y4
- Anagrams of AIRY
- Share this page
The word airy is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective airy
What does airy mean as an attribute of a noun?
Airy is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: more airy / airier | most airy / airiest
- open to or abounding in fresh air
- not practical or realizable; speculative
- having little or no perceptible weight; so light as to resemble air
- example: airy gauze curtains
- similar: light
- characterized by lightness and insubstantiality; as impalpable or intangible as air
Alternative definition of the adjective airy
- Consisting of air; as, an airy substance; the airy parts of bodies.
- Relating or belonging to air; high in air; aerial; as, an airy flight.
- Open to a free current of air; exposed to the air; breezy; as, an airy situation.
- Resembling air; thin; unsubstantial; not material; airlike.
- Relating to the spirit or soul; delicate; graceful; as, airy music.
- Without reality; having no solid foundation; empty; trifling; visionary.
- Light of heart; vivacious; sprightly; flippant; superficial.
- Having an affected manner; being in the habit of putting on airs; affectedly grand.
- [context: painting] Having the light and aerial tints true to nature.
- Airy is an impact crater on Mars, named in honor of the British Astronomer, Royal Sir George Biddell Airy. The crater is approximately 40 kilometres in diameter and is located at 0.1°E 5.1°S in the Meridiani Planum region. The much smaller crater Airy-0, which defines the location of Mars' prime meridian, lies within it.
- also known as 艾里撞擊坑
- Airy is a lunar impact crater located in the southern highlands. It is named in honour of British astronomer George Biddell Airy. It forms the southern-most member of a chain of craters consisting of Vogel, Argelander, and Airy. A little further to the south lies Donati. Airy has a worn, and somewhat polygonal rim that it broken at the northern and southern ends. It has an irregular floor and a central peak.
Phrases with Airy
Phrases starting with the word Airy:
Other phrases containing the word Airy:
- Bridelia Airy-Shawii
- Phyllanthus Airy-Shawii
- Species Bridelia Airy-Shawii
- Symplococarpon Airy-Shawianum
- Species Phyllanthus Airy-Shawii
- Species Symplococarpon Airy-Shawianum
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Airy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert Splinter
Airy, George Biddell 49 A (a) (b) (c) Figure A.54 (a) Typical airfoil: airplane wing. The streamlines with respect to the wing surface can be modified to influence the lift by (b) opening and (c) closing the “flaps” at the wing tip.
Dictionary of Aviation (1911)
by Robert Morris Pierce
airy 'e.-zi adj. 1. performd or taking place in the air or atmosfere; ef, belonging to, or appropriate to the air; aerial; ...
by Michael Dirr
Airy'. Have tested forfive years in Georgia. In full sun makes a perfect mound, 3ft. by 4 ft., with abundant flowers, beautiful glaucous-blue leaves, yellow-orangered fall color. All who witness ...
by John Christopher Willis, Herbert Kenneth Airy Shaw
Willis, Herbert Kenneth Airy Shaw. '56 COIX the S project beyond the mouth ; cult, for food in Khasia Hills and Burma ; used in medicine in China. Cola Schott et Endl. Sterculiaceae. 50 Afr. C. vera K. Schumann and C. acuminata Schott et ...
Under the Patronage of the Government of Ceylon by Benjamin Clough
Airy, airiness, a so, Spero; the airy region, sess, *go •6, toodë)&e; airy notions, t: tools co, *Cee-oSG; se: the noun Airgun, s.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Airy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Airy
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: spierzchala
Photo credit: Christian_Enmon
Photo credit: Abulic Monkey
Photo credit: brookpeterson
Photo credit: alui0000
Photo credit: bartosz.mogiełka
- Airy seating
Great seat design for a humid environment
Photo credit: ellen forsyth
Week 31- Air
Photo credit: ThrasherDave
- BLOG: Light & Airy from Aria
Details @ kylieseyespy.wordpress.com/
Photo credit: Kylie_Jaxxon
- Airy building
Photo credit: Marcel Oosterwijk
- Mt.Airy DGC Hole 11 Green
Photo credit: Adam M. Jones
- Olive & Airy
Photo credit: George Grinsted
View more pictures about Mount Airy.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Airy
Click on an item to play that video:
- GEOCENTRICITY - An animated explanation of "Airy's Failure" experiment.
Airy's "Failure" was that to observe a particular star he did NOT have to increase the tilt of his telescope when he filled it with water. This animation demonstrates ...
- Airy Meaning
Video shows what airy means. Consisting of air; as, an airy substance; the airy parts of bodies.. Relating or belonging to air; high in air; aerial; as, an airy flight.
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Airy, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
See also the pronunciation examples of Airy!
Quotes about Airy
Scrabble value of A1I1R1Y4
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AIRY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Airy!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Airy to see it in context!