On this page:
Who is Akira Iriye?
Akira Iriye: Iriye Akira is a historian of American diplomatic history especially United States-East Asian relations, and international issues. He is the only Japanese citizen ever to serve as President of the American Historical Association, and has also served as president for the Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations. In 2005, he was awarded the Order of the Sacred Treasure, Gold and Silver Star, one of Japan's highest civilian honors. He was also awarded Japan's Yoshida Shigeru Prize for best book in public history.
- also known as 入江 昭
- born on (81 years ago) in Tokyo
- ethnicity: Japanese American
- nationality: Japan
- profession: Historian, professor
- written works: "The origins of the Second World War in Asia and the Pacific", "Japan and the wider world", "China and Japan in the Global Setting", "Power and Culture", "Global Community", "Pearl Harbor and the coming of the Pacific War", "Cultural Internationalism and World Order", "Nichi-Bei kankei gojunen", "Japanese imperialism and aggression", "Taiheiyo Senso no kigen", "The Globalizing of America, 1913-1945", "Shin Nihon no gaiko", "Western perceptions and Asian realities", "Mutual Images", "Nijisseiki no senso to heiwa", "World of Asia", "The significance of the Pearl Harbor attack"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- Guggenheim Fellowship for Humanities, US & Canada (U.S. History)
- nominated to Pulitzer Prize for History - "Power and Culture"
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Akira Iriye
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Peter B. Levy
Akira Iriye and Warren Cohen, eds., The United States and Japan in the Postwar World (1984). Related Entry: High Technology.
by Cathal J. Nolan
Suggested Reading: Akira Iriye, Cultural Internationalism and World Order (1997) . internationalist. A person who persistently advocates or seeks international solutions (via express multinational processes or international law or international ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Akira Iriye
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Akira Iriye for some fun with words!