On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun al
What does al mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonyms of Al: aluminium / aluminum / atomic number 13
- more generic terms: metal / metallic element = any of several chemical elements that are usually shiny solids that conduct heat or electricity and can be formed into sheets etc.
- more specific terms:
- substance of: aluminium foil / aluminum foil / tin foil = foil made of aluminum; bauxite = a clay-like mineral; the chief ore of aluminum; composed of aluminum oxides and aluminum hydroxides
- a state in the southeastern United States on the Gulf of Mexico; one of the Confederate states during the American Civil War
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- scientific name: Alabama
- synonyms of AL: Ala. / Camellia State / Heart of Dixie
- more generic word: South = the region of the United States lying to the south of the Mason-Dixon line
- instance of: American state = one of the 50 states of the United States
- part of: America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA = North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; Gulf States = a region of the United States comprising states bordering the Gulf of Mexico; Deep South = the southeastern region of the United States: South Carolina and Georgia and Alabama and Mississippi and Louisiana
- capital of Alabama / Montgomery = the state capital of Alabama on the Mobile River
- Pittsburgh of the South / Birmingham = the largest city in Alabama
- Decatur = a town in northern Alabama on the Tennessee River
- Gadsden = an industrial town in north central Alabama
- Huntsville = a city in northern Alabama
- Mobile = a port in southwestern Alabama on Mobile Bay
- Selma = a town in central Alabama on the Alabama river
- Tuscaloosa = a university town in west central Alabama
- Tuskegee = a town in eastern Alabama
- Alabama River / Alabama = a river in Alabama formed by the confluence of the Coosa and Tallapoosa Rivers near Montgomery
- Coosa River / Coosa = river that rises in northwestern Georgia and flows southwest through eastern Alabama to join the Tallapoosa River near Montgomery and form the Alabama River
- Mobile River / Mobile = a river in southwestern Alabama
- Mobile Bay = a bay of the Gulf of Mexico
- Tallapoosa River / Tallapoosa = river that rises in northwestern Georgia and flows southwest through central Alabama to join the Coosa River near Montgomery and form the Alabama River
- Tombigbee River / Tombigbee = a river that rises in northeastern Mississippi and flows southward through western Alabama to join the Alabama River and form the Mobile River
- member of: Confederacy / Confederate States / Confederate States of America / Dixie / Dixieland / South = the southern states that seceded from the United States in 1861
Other definitions of al
What does al also mean?
- assembly language.
- artificial life.
- [networking] country code for Albania.
- other things.
- other persons.
- autograph letter.
- AL a.k.a. Alabama is a state located in the southeastern region of the United States. It is bordered by Tennessee to the north, Georgia to the east, Florida and the Gulf of Mexico to the south, and Mississippi to the west. Alabama is the 30th-most extensive and the 23rd-most populous of the 50 United States. At 1,300 miles, Alabama has one of the longest navigable inland waterways in the nation.
- read more about Alabama (state)
- Al a.k.a. Albania, officially known as the Republic of Albania, is a country in Southeastern Europe. It is bordered by Montenegro to the northwest, Kosovo to the northeast, Macedonia to the east, and Greece to the south and southeast. It has a coast on the Adriatic Sea to the west and on the Ionian Sea to the southwest. It is less than 72 km from Italy, across the Strait of Otranto which links the Adriatic Sea to the Ionian Sea.
- also known as Republic of Albania
- founded on (102 years ago)
- part of Europe, Balkans, Eurasia, Balkan Peninsula
- instance of: Balkan country / Balkan nation / Balkan state = any one of the countries on the Balkan Peninsula
- member: Albanian = a native or inhabitant of Albania
- read more about Albania (country)
- Al a.k.a. Ål is a municipality in Buskerud county, Norway. It is part of the traditional region of Hallingdal. The administrative centre of the municipality is the village of Ål.
- read more about Ål (village)
- Al a.k.a. Allen Iverson: Allen Ezail Iverson is an American retired professional basketball player who played for four different teams during 14 seasons in the National Basketball Association. He played both the point guard and shooting guard positions. Iverson was an eleven-time NBA All-Star and won the All-Star MVP award in 2001 and 2005.
- read more about Allen Iverson
- Al a.k.a. Aljur Abrenica is a Filipino actor. He appeared on the fourth season of StarStruck.
- read more about Aljur Abrenica (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Alex Turner: Alexander David "Alex" Turner is an English musician, singer, and songwriter. He is the lead vocalist, guitarist, and principal songwriter of the English rock band Arctic Monkeys. Turner has also recorded with a side-project called The Last Shadow Puppets and as a solo artist. He also wrote and performed songs for the soundtrack of the 2010 comedy-drama film Submarine.
- read more about Alex Turner
- Al a.k.a. Al Roker: Albert Lincoln "Al" Roker, Jr. is an American television weather presenter, actor and book author. He is best known as being the weather anchor on NBC's Today. On Monday, July 20, 2009, he began co-hosting his morning show, Wake Up with Al, on The Weather Channel, which airs weekdays from 5:30 to 7 am ET one hour and half earlier than Today. Roker also appears occasionally on NBC Nightly News. He holds an expired American Meteorological Society Television Seal, #238. Writing with Dick Lochte, Roker began a series of murder mysteries in 2009 that feature Billy Blessing, a celebrity chef turned amateur detective. The second book in the series, The Midnight Show Murders, was nominated for a 2011 Nero Award. On November 12th, 2014, 10 PM Eastern Standard Time, Al Roker attempted to beat the previous unofficial world record of 33 hours held by Norwegian weather broadcaster Eli Kari Gjengedal. On November 14, 2014, 8 AM Eastern Standard Time, Al Roker set the new, official Guinness World Record with a 34-hour uninterrupted live weather report.
- read more about Al Roker
- Al a.k.a. Alison Pill: Alison Courtney Pill is a Canadian actress. A former child actress, Pill began her career at age twelve, appearing in numerous films and television series. She transitioned to adult roles and her breakthrough came in the television series The Book of Daniel. She is best known for her roles in the films Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, Milk, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Midnight in Paris and the television series In Treatment, The Pillars of the Earth and The Newsroom.
- read more about Alison Pill (actress)
- Al a.k.a. The Alchemist: Alan Daniel Maman, professionally known as The Alchemist, is an American record producer, disc jockey and rapper from Beverly Hills, California. As a teenager he embarked on a career in music, as rapper in the hip hop duo The Whooliganz, under the moniker Mudfoot, along with now-actor Scott Caan. After rising to prominence in the late 1990s, as a close associate of Dilated Peoples and Mobb Deep, he went on to produce for many of hip hop's leading artists in the 2000s, and has been hailed as one of the genre's leading producers.
- read more about The Alchemist
- Al a.k.a. Alexz Johnson: Alexzandra Spencer "Alexz" Johnson is a Canadian singer-songwriter, record producer, actress and philanthropist. Her debut album Voodoo was independently released in 2010, followed by the demo release of The Basement Recordings in 2011, with its sequel, The Basement Recordings II, and EP Skipping Stone in 2012.
- read more about Alexz Johnson
- Al a.k.a. Al Jardine: Alan Charles "Al" Jardine is an American guitarist, singer and songwriter. He is best known as a founding member of the rock band The Beach Boys, of whom he was a member from 1961 until 1962, again in 1963 until 1998, and lastly in 2012. A core member of the band, Jardine recorded twenty-five studio albums with The Beach Boys, and was the lead vocalist on a number of the band's songs, including, "Help Me, Rhonda", "Then I Kissed Her", "I Know There's an Answer" and "Lady Lynda". In 2010, Jardine released his debut solo studio album, A Postcard from California.
- read more about Al Jardine (folk rock artist)
- Al a.k.a. Therese Alshammar: Malin Therese Alshammar is a Swedish swimmer who has won three Olympic medals, 25 World Championship medals, and 43 European Championship medals. Standing at 1.80 m, she is a specialist in short distances races in freestyle and butterfly. She is coached by former Swedish swimmer Johan Wallberg.
- read more about Therese Alshammar
- Al a.k.a. Allen Payne is an American film and television actor, best known for his role as C.J. Payne on Tyler Perry's House of Payne television series as well as his portrayal of a drug lord sidekick opposite Wesley Snipes in the 1991 film New Jack City.
- read more about Allen Payne (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Allison Schmitt: Allison Rodgers Schmitt is an American competition swimmer who specializes in freestyle events, and is a six-time Olympic medalist.
- read more about Allison Schmitt
- Al a.k.a. Alistair Brownlee: Alistair Edward Brownlee, MBE is a British triathlete, and the current Olympic, European and Commonwealth champion in his sport, having won the gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics and the 2014 Commonwealth Games. He is a two-time Triathlon World Champion, winning in 2009 and again in 2011, a 3 time World Team Champion and a 3 time European Champion. His brother, Jonathan Brownlee, is also a triathlon champion, placing third in the 2012 Olympics, winning the 2012 World Championship and the last World Sprint Triathlon Championship, in addition to accompanying his brother in their World and Commonwealth mixed team relay victories.
- read more about Alistair Brownlee
- Al a.k.a. Alexandre Despatie is a Canadian diver and broadcaster from Laval, Quebec. He was the world champion at the 1 and 3 m springboards from 2005 to 2007 and is the first, and so far only, diver to have been world champion in the three categories. He is also a 37-time Canadian senior diving champion, and nine-time junior champion. He was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- read more about Alexandre Despatie
- Al a.k.a. Alice Ripley is an American stage, film, and television actor, as well as a singer, songwriter, and mixed media artist. She is known, in particular, for her various roles on Broadway in musicals, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Next to Normal and Side Show.
- read more about Alice Ripley
- Al a.k.a. Al Goldstein: Alvin "Al" Goldstein was an abrasive but influential American publisher and pornographer. He was described as "a cartoonishly vituperative amalgam of borscht belt comic, free-range social critic and sex-obsessed loser who seemed to embody a moment in New York City’s cultural history: the sleaze and decay of Times Square in the 1960s and ‘70s." Another writer called him "a hairy, sweaty, cigar-chomping, eczema-ridden fatso". He claimed to have had 7,000 sexual partners.
- read more about Al Goldstein
- Al a.k.a. Al Leong: Albert "Al" Leong, aka Al "Ka Bong", is an American stuntman and actor. Characterized by his impressive martial arts skills, long wavy hair, and a prominent Fu Manchu moustache, he has had a number of small but memorable roles as a henchman in some of the most popular action films, including Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, and Lethal Weapon 4. He also collaborated with director John Carpenter in Big Trouble in Little China and They Live. Such appearances in many action films have garnered him a cult following. However, his most prominent role is probably in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, as Genghis Khan.
- read more about Al Leong (martial artist)
- Al a.k.a. Al Rosen: Albert Leonard "Al" Rosen, nicknamed "Flip" and "The Hebrew Hammer", is a former American professional baseball player who was a third baseman and right-handed slugger in the Major Leagues for ten seasons in the 1940s and 1950s.
- read more about Al Rosen
- Al a.k.a. Alexander Hall was an American film director and theatre actor.
- read more about Alexander Hall (film director)
- Al a.k.a. Al Santos: Alfredo Luis "Al" Santos is an American actor, producer and former model. Santos studied at Hunter College. He is best known for playing the character of Johnny Bishop in the WB TV series Grosse Pointe.
- read more about Al Santos (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Alex Murrel: Alexandra Leah Murrel is an American singer and actress. She rose to stardom in the hit MTV reality show Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County as the tough, carefree character on the show. She's now focused on her music career and has just signed to Warner Bros.
- read more about Alex Murrel
- Al a.k.a. Al Weaver: Alex "Al" Weaver is an English actor.
- read more about Al Weaver (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Harold Goodwin was an American film actor who performed in over 225 films.
- read more about Harold Goodwin (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Alice Henley: Alice Sarah Henley is an English television and theatre actress.
- read more about Alice Henley (actress)
- Al a.k.a. Albert Lewin was an American film director, producer, and screenwriter.
- read more about Albert Lewin (film director)
- Al a.k.a. Al Hansen: Alfred Earl "Al" Hansen was an American artist. He was a member of Fluxus, a movement that originated on an artists' collective around George Maciunas.
- read more about Al Hansen
- Al a.k.a. Allelon Ruggiero is an actor.
- read more about Allelon Ruggiero (actor)
- AL a.k.a. Alfred Labatos: Alfred Alain Corpuz Labatos is a Filipino actor, singer and voice actor. He is discovered in Eat Bulaga when he joined the segment That's My Boy on 1998 and appeared on one of the commercials of Kenny Rogers Roasters then became a child actor. He is a former star on the comedy/gag show Goin Bulilit.
- read more about Alfred Labatos (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Albert Whitlock: Albert J. Whitlock was a British-born motion picture matte artist best known for his work with Disney and Universal Studios.
- read more about Albert Whitlock
- Al a.k.a. Alan James was an American film director and screenwriter. He directed 79 films between 1916 and 1943. He also wrote for 62 films between 1916 and 1951.
- read more about Alan James
- Al a.k.a. Alexandra Silber is an actor.
- read more about Alexandra Silber
- Al a.k.a. Alfred E. Green was a prolific movie director. Green entered film in 1912 as an actor for the Selig Polyscope Company. He became an assistant to director Colin Campbell. He then started to direct two-reelers until he started features in 1917.
- read more about Alfred E. Green (film director)
- Al a.k.a. Alyssa Shafer: Alyssa Jordan Shafer is an American child actor.
- read more about Alyssa Shafer (actress)
- Al a.k.a. Allan Hunt is an American actor, probably best remembered as Crewman Stuart Riley from season 2 of ABC's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
- read more about Allan Hunt (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Albert Parker was an American film director, producer, screenwriter and actor. He directed 36 films between 1917 and 1938. In the early 1930s Parker left Hollywood for England where he continued to direct films and also opened an actors' agency office. One of his later clients in the 1960s was a young actress named Helen Mirren.
- read more about Albert Parker (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Al Gettel: Allen Jones "Al" "Two Gun" Gettel was a Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 1945 to 1955 with several teams. He batted and threw right-handed. Gettel had a 38–45 record in 184 career games. He was born and died in Norfolk, Virginia.
- read more about Al Gettel (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Lawrence Cook was an African American actor.
- read more about Lawrence Cook (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Albert Fields: Albert Jeunepierre Fields is an American actor and pop singer. He was a Mousketeer on The All New Mickey Mouse Club and a member of the pop group The Party. After The Party disbanded, Albert went under the moniker Jeune and released a solo album in 1995 titled Back to Reality. The song "I'm da Man" was featured in the Wesley Snipes/Robert De Niro film The Fan. Jeune continues to record and perform on the indie circuit. Albert had recently reunited with his old friend, former Mouseketeer/Party bandmate Damon Pampolina to form their own group, N'Decent Proposal.
- read more about Albert Fields (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Alan Levin was an American filmmaker and journalist best known for making documentaries on the Public Broadcasting Service and Home Box Office networks. Three of his documentaries won Emmy Awards.
- read more about Alan Levin
- Al a.k.a. Alba Albanese is an actress, stunt performer and film producer.
- read more about Alba Albanese (actress)
- Al a.k.a. Albus Severus Potter is introduced in the epilogue of the seventh and last Harry Potter book, The Deathly Hallows, as the second child of Harry and Ginny Potter. He is named after Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape.
- read more about Albus Severus Potter
- Al a.k.a. Alan Pierce is a cinematographer and camera operator.
- read more about Alan Pierce (cinematographer)
- Al a.k.a. Albert DeMond was a screenwriter, film producer and film director.
- read more about Albert DeMond
- Al a.k.a. Albert S. Rogell was an American film director of more than a hundred movies between 1921 and 1958.
- read more about Albert S. Rogell
- Al a.k.a. Allen G. Siegler was a cinematographer.
- read more about Allen G. Siegler (cinematographer)
- Al a.k.a. Alex Gonzales performed in the 2005 film The World's Fastest Indian.
- read more about Alex Gonzales (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Christian Boewe is an actor.
- read more about Christian Boewe (actor)
- Al a.k.a. Alan Fritz is an actor.
- read more about Alan Fritz (actor)
Al a.k.a. A1 are an English-Norwegian pop group that formed in 1998. The line-up consists of Christian Ingebrigtsen, Mark Read and Ben Adams. Original member and founder Paul Marazzi was a member from 1998 until his departure in 2002. Ingebrigtsen is originally from Oslo, Norway, but the other members originate from London, England.
- read more about A1
- AL was a French automobile manufactured by L'Energie Electro-Mécanique based at Suresnes. In 1907 the company manufactured one of the first recorded hybrid cars, it was a combination gas-electric vehicle that ran at 24hp.
- Al a.k.a. TransAVIAexport Airlines is a Belarusian National Airline involved in air transportation of cargo. It is based at the Minsk International Airport in Belarus, with a hub at the Sharjah International Airport, in the United Arab Emirates.TransAVIAexport Airlines was established in December 1992.
- also known as Transaviaexport Cargo Airline
- official website: www.transaviaexport.com/index_en.htm
- Al a.k.a. Alastor is a fictional character from the 2004 Japanese anime series Viewtiful Joe.
- read more about Alastor
- Al is a fictional character in the 2014 film Divergent.
- Al is a fictional character from the 1967 film Danger!! Death Ray.
- Al is a fictional character from the 2012 film Three Worlds.
- Al is a fictional character from the 2011 film Your Sister's Sister.
- Al is a fictional character from the 2010 film Haunters.
- Al is a fictional character from anime tv series Miami Guns.
- Al is a fictional character from the 1997 film The Chambermaid on the Titanic.
- Al is a fictional character from the 2007 film Boy Crush.
- Al is a fictional character from the 1946 film Boys' Ranch.
- Al is a fictional character from Numba One.
- Al is a fictional character from the 1973 film Mean Frank and Crazy Tony.
- Al is a fictional character from the 1982 film Rocky III.
- Al: AI is a fictional character from the 1968 film Wild 90.
- Al is a fictional character from Shooting for Something Else.
- Al is a fictional character from Remote Control.
- Al is a fictional character from the 1941 film The Reluctant Dragon.
- Al is a fictional film character.
- Al is a fictional character from the 1933 drama film Chance at Heaven.
- Al is a fictional character in the film Bannerline.
- "Al" is a 1992 compilation album by Al Green.
- released in (23 years ago)
- "Al" is a musical album of Bumcello.
- released on
- "AL" a.k.a. "A L" is an EP by French singer Amanda Lear released in 1985 by Italian label Five Records.
- read more about A L
- "AL" is a composition.
- music by Matt Wilson
- Al is a class of demon in the folklore of the Caucasus, Iran, Central Asia, Armenia and southern parts of Russia. Als are demons of childbirth, interfering with human reproduction. The al is known by various other names, including alk in Armenian and Kurdish, ol, hāl and xāl in Tajikistan and Afghanistan, almasti or albasti in Central Asian Turkic speaking countries, and halmasti among the Dards.
- al: .al is the Internet country code top-level domain for Albania. It is administered by the Electronic and Postal Communications Authority of Albania. As of July 2013, anyone can register a .al domain.
- also known as .al
- official website: www.akep.gov.al
- Al a.k.a. -al: The suffix -al is the IUPAC nomenclature used in organic chemistry to form names of aldehydes containing the -H group. It was extracted from the word "aldehyde".
Scrabble value of A1L1
The value of this 2-letter word is 2 points. It is included in the second edition of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the pronunciation of Al to learn how to say it correctly!