On this page:
Definition of the noun al qaida
What does al qaida mean as a name of something?
- a terrorist network intensely opposed to the United States that dispenses money and logistical support and training to a wide variety of radical Islamic terrorist groups; has cells in more than 50 countries
- regions: Afghanistan / Islamic State of Afghanistan; Islamic Republic of Pakistan / Pakistan / West Pakistan
- domain: act of terrorism / terrorism / terrorist act
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- alternative spellings: al-Qa'ida / al-Qaida
- synonyms of al Qaida: al Qaeda / al-Qaeda / Base / Qaeda
- instance of: foreign terrorist organization / FTO / terrorist group / terrorist organization = a political movement that uses terror as a weapon to achieve its goals
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for al Qaida
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Michael A. Turner
AL QAIDA. Also commonly referred to as al Qaeda, it is an umbrella organization of worldwide terrorist groups that espouse jihad (or holy war) against the West, or what Islamists call “the Jews and crusaders.” Formed by Osama bin Laden in ...
by Bill Bryson
is the most common spelling in American English for the terrorist group, but there are many variants, including commonly Al Qaida, alQaeda, and al- Qaida.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for al Qaida
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about al Qaida
Click on an item to view that photo:
Al Qaida in Dollendorf
Photo credit: Martin Terber
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about al Qaida
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of al Qaida to see it in context!