On this page:
Definition of the noun al-fatah
What does al-fatah mean as a name of something?
- a Palestinian political and military organization founded by Yasser Arafat in 1958 to work toward the creation of a Palestinian state; during the 1960s and 1970s trained terrorist and insurgent groups
- example: al-Fatah carried out numerous acts of international terrorism in western Europe and the Middle East in the 1970s
- regions: Israel / Sion / State of Israel / Yisrael / Zion; Palestine; Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan / Jordan
- domain: act of terrorism / terrorism / terrorist act
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of al-Fatah: al-Asifa / Fatah
- instance of: foreign terrorist organization / FTO / terrorist group / terrorist organization = a political movement that uses terror as a weapon to achieve its goals; political movement = a group of people working together to achieve a political goal
- member of: Palestine Liberation Organization / PLO = a political movement uniting Palestinian Arabs in an effort to create an independent state of Palestine; when formed in 1964 it was a terrorist organization dominated by Yasser Arafat's al-Fatah; in 1968 Arafat became chairman; received recognition by the United Nations and by Arab states in 1974 as a government in exile
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for al-Fatah
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Historical Encyclopedia by Alexander Mikaberidze
Al-Fatah, or Harakat al-Tahrir al-Watani al-Filastini (Palestine National Liberation Movement), wants to obtain full independence for the Palestinians in a Palestinian state that would include Gaza, between Egypt and Israel, and the West Bank, ...
Encyclopedia of Terrorism (2012)
by Peter Chalk
Although al-Fatah did not initially maintain an organizational hierarchy (it acted more along the lines of an uncoordinated series of factions, each led by a different head), it did quickly establish a coherent military force capable of harassing the ...
Al-Fatah It is a nationalist, pan-Arab movement which developed from the ultra- conservative, extremist Muslim Brotherhood in the postwar years. In Arabic, the initials of the movement for liberation of Palestine are HTF, which are also the root ...
by Cindy C. Combs, Martin W. Slann
al-Fatah Led by YASIR ARAFAT, ...
by Bill Bryson
Al-Fatah. Palestinian political organization. Drop Al when it is preceded by an article (“a Fatah spokesman,” “the Fatah organization”). Alfredsson, Daniel. (1972–) Swedish ice hockey ...
by John E. Jessup
al-Fatah. See Abu Nidal. AHonsin, Raul. (b. 1 3 May 1926, Chascomus, Buenos Aires Province, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for al-Fatah
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about al-Fatah
If you need images about al-Fatah for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of al-Fatah to see it in context!