On this page:
Definition of the noun al-gama'a al-islamiyya
What does al-gama'a al-islamiyya mean as a name of something?
- a terrorist organization of militant Islamists organized into tiny cells of extreme fundamentalists; emerged during the 1970s mainly in Egyptian jails
- example: al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya uses force to push Egyptian society toward Islamic rule
- region: Arab Republic of Egypt / Egypt / United Arab Republic
- domain: act of terrorism / terrorism / terrorist act
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonym of al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya: Islamic Group
- instance of: foreign terrorist organization / FTO / terrorist group / terrorist organization = a political movement that uses terror as a weapon to achieve its goals
al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya: Al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya is an Egyptian Sunni Islamist movement, and is considered a terrorist organization by the United States and European Union. The group was dedicated to the overthrow of the Egyptian government and replacing it with an Islamic state; the group has committed to peaceful means following the coup that toppled Mohamed Morsi.
- also known as al-jamāʻah al-islāmīyah, the Islamic Group, El Gama'a El Islamiyya, Islamic Groups, Gamaat Islamiya, al Jamaat al Islamiya
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya to find many related words and phrases!