On this page:
Definition of the noun al-itihaad al-islamiya
What does al-itihaad al-islamiya mean as a name of something?
- a fundamentalist Islamic group in Somalia who initially did fundraising for al-Qaeda; responsible for ambushing United States Army Rangers and for terrorist bombings in Ethiopia; believed to have branches in several countries
- region: Somalia
- domain: act of terrorism / terrorism / terrorist act
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- alternative spelling: al Itihaad al Islamiya
- synonyms of al-Itihaad al-Islamiya: AIAI / Islamic Unity
- instance of: foreign terrorist organization / FTO / terrorist group / terrorist organization = a political movement that uses terror as a weapon to achieve its goals
Al-Itihaad al-Islamiya or AIAI is a defunct Islamist militant group in Somalia that was added to the U.S. list of terrorist organizations on September 24, 2001.It was listed a terrorist group in October 2005 by the UK. It listed by New Zealand as a terror group.
- also known as Al-Ittihad al-Islami
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Al-Itihaad al-Islamiya
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
From the Rise of Al-Qaeda to 9/11 and Beyond by Jan Goldman Ph.D.
The AIAI developed during the 1980s as a loose movement Al-ittihad al-islami (also Al-itihaad al-islamiya) ( AiAi) 15.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Al-Itihaad al-Islamiya
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Al-Itihaad al-Islamiya to find many related words and phrases!