On this page:
Definition of the noun al-jihad
What does al-jihad mean as a name of something?
- an Islamic extremist group active since the late 1970s; seeks to overthrow the Egyptian government and replace it with an Islamic state; works in small underground cells
- region: Arab Republic of Egypt / Egypt / United Arab Republic
- domain: act of terrorism / terrorism / terrorist act
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of al-Jihad: Egyptian Islamic Jihad / Islamic Jihad / Vanguards of Conquest
- instance of: foreign terrorist organization / FTO / terrorist group / terrorist organization = a political movement that uses terror as a weapon to achieve its goals
Al-Jihad: Jihad is a neighborhood in the Al Rashid district in western Baghdad, Iraq. To the north is Al-A'amiriya on the other side of Baghdad Airport Road, and to the east is Al-A'amel.
- neighborhood of Baghdad
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Al-Jihad
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A New Era of Modern Warfare by Spencer C. Tucker
Harakat al-Jihad al-Islami fi Filastin, known as the Islamic Jihad in Palestine but also Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ), was established by Fathi Shiqaqi, Sheikh Abd al-Aziz al-Awda, and others in the Gaza Strip during the 1970s. Several ...
Encyclopedia of Terrorism (2012)
by Peter Chalk
Harakat al-Jihad al-Islami fi Filastin, known as the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ), ...
by John L. Esposito
Jihad, al- Jamaat al-Jihad or Islamic Jihad Community. Egyptian Islamic group that assassinated President Anwar Sadat in 1981. Established in the late 1970s by former members of the group Shabab Muhammad, which attempted a ...
by Mark Juergensmeyer, Wade Clark Roof
That, at least, was 'Azzam's initial conception, but over time, bin Ladin, together with veteran Egyptian jihadists from the Tanzim al-Jihad al-Islami (“Islamic Jihad Organization”), above all Ayman al-Zawahiri, developed a more grandiose vision ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Al-Jihad
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Al-Jihad
Click on an item to view that photo:
Quotes about Al-Jihad
Jewish fundamentalism is teaching that Jews can fight with guns and with civil war, against being relocated off the West Bank, and disobey the orders of their government. That is the call to jihad, to several kinds of jihad. (Arthur Hertzberg)
more quotes about al-jihad...
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Al-Jihad to see it in context!