Alan Hovhaness (composer)
On this page:
Who is Alan Hovhaness?
Alan Hovhaness was an Armenian-American composer. He was one of the most prolific 20th-century composers, with his official catalog comprising 67 numbered symphonies and 434 opus numbers. However, the true tally is well over 500 surviving works since many opus numbers comprise two or more distinct works.
- also known as A. Hovhaness; Alan Hovaness; Hovhaness, Alan; Alan Vaness Chakmakjian; Ալան Յովհաննէս
- born on (104 years ago) in Somerville, child of Haroutioun Hovanes Chakmakjian and Madeleine Scott
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Film score composer, composer
- Marriage with Hinako Fujihara between and (23 years)
- parent of Jean Nandi Hovhaness
- died on (14 years ago) in Seattle
- albums: "Polyphonia Orchestra of London, Alan Hovaness, conducting", "Hovhaness Collection" (disc 2), "Hovhaness Collection Volume Two (Seattle Symphony feat. conductor: Gerard Schwarz)", "Magnificat", "Mountains and Rivers", "Music of Alan Hovhaness (KBS Symphony Orchestra)", "Symphony No. 11 / Armenian Rhapsody No. 1 / Prayer of Saint Gregory / Tzaikerk (Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Crystal Chamber Orchestra feat. conductor: Alan Hovhaness, Ernest Gold)", "Music of Alan Hovhaness", "Concerto for Harp and String Orchestra / Spirit of Trees / Upon Enchanted Ground / The Garden of Adonis / Sonata for Harp", "Mysterious Mountain / And God Created Great Whales (Seattle Symphony, feat. conductor: Gerard Schwarz)", "Requiem And Resurrection, Op. 224/Symphony No. 19, Op. 217", "Shalimar: Hovhaness Plays Hovhaness", "Mount St. Helens Symphony / City of Light Symphony (Seattle Symphony feat. conductor: Gerard Schwarz, Alan Hovhaness)", "The Rubaiyat (Michael York, Seattle Symphony)", "Celestial Gate and Other Orchestral Works", "Mysterious Mountains", "Alan Hovhaness - Star Dawn", "Mystery of the Holy Martyrs / Symphony No. 3 (KBS Symphony Orchestra feat. conductor: Vakhtang Jordania)", "Violin|Viola and Keyboard Works", "Symphony no. 60 / Guitar Concerto / Khrimian Hairig", "Janabar / Talin / Shambala", "John Williams: The Five Sacred Trees / Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountain", "Music of Alan Hovhaness: Symphony No. 9, Op. 180 "Saint Vartan Symphony" / Artik Concerto for Horn and String Orchestra, Op. 78", "Stravinsky: Song of the Nightingale / The Fairy's Kiss: Divertimento / Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountan", "Solos, Duos, Trios", "Symphonies nos. 7, 14 and 23", "Symphony No. 22 "City of Light" / Cello Concerto", "Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountain / Prokofiev: Lieutenant Kije Suite / Stravinsky: The Fairy's Kiss Divertimento"
- award: - Guggenheim Fellowship for Creative Arts, US & Canada (Music Composition)
- official website: hovhaness.com
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alan Hovhaness (composer)
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Alan Hovhaness (composer)
Music Of Alan Hovhaness Yolanda Kondonassis Telarc
Photo credit: iClassicalCom
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Alan Hovhaness for some fun with words!