Alarm appears in the following tongue twister:
- Come, come,
Stay calm, stay calm,
No need for alarm,
It only hums,
It doesn't harm.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun alarm:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb alarm:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun alarm
- Definition of the verb alarm
- Phrases with Alarm
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alarm
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alarm
- Photos about Alarm
- Video language resources about Alarm
- Quotes about Alarm
- Scrabble value of A1L1A1R1M3
- Anagrams of ALARM
- Share this page
The word alarm is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alarm
What does alarm mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alarms
- fear resulting from the awareness of danger
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- synonyms of alarm: consternation / dismay
- more generic words: fear / fearfulness / fright = an emotion experienced in anticipation of some specific pain or danger
- a device that signals the occurrence of some undesirable event
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of alarm: alarm system / warning device
- more generic word: device = an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
- more specific terms:
- automobile horn / motor horn / car horn / hooter / horn = a device on an automobile for making a warning noise
- burglar alarm = a warning device that is tripped off by the occurrence of a burglary
- smoke alarm / fire alarm = an alarm that is tripped off by fire or smoke
- horn = an alarm device that makes a loud warning sound
- siren = an acoustic device producing a loud often wailing sound as a signal or warning
- an automatic signal (usually a sound) warning of danger
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of alarm: alarum / alert / warning signal
- more generic words: sign / signal / signaling = any nonverbal action or gesture that encodes a message
- more specific terms:
- torpedo = a small explosive device that is placed on a railroad track and fires when a train runs over it
- air alert = the warning signal that begins a period of preparation for an enemy air attack
- burglar alarm = a loud warning signal produced by a burglar alarm
- fire alarm = a shout or bell to warn that fire has broken out
- fogsignal / foghorn = a loud low warning signal that can be heard by fogbound ships
- horn = a noise made by the driver of an automobile to give warning
- red flag = a flag that serves as a warning signal
- siren = a warning signal that is a loud wailing sound
- alarm bell / tocsin = the sound of an alarm
- a clock that wakes a sleeper at some preset time
Alternative definition of the noun alarm
- A summons to arms, as on the approach of an enemy.
- Any sound or information intended to give notice of approaching danger; a warning sound to arouse attention; a warning of danger.
- Sudden surprise with fear or terror excited by apprehension of danger; in the military use, commonly, sudden apprehension of being attacked by surprise.
- A mechanical device for awaking people, or rousing their attention.
- An instance of an alarum ringing or clanging, to give a noise signal at a certain time.
Definition of the verb alarm
What does alarm mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: alarmed | alarming | alarms
- fill with apprehension or alarm; cause to be unpleasantly surprised
- example: The bad news will alarm him
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Cause] [Verb] The clown amused [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] The clown amused the children [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] [Adjective] That movie bored me silly [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] with [Oblique] The clown amused the children with his antics [Cause, genitive]'s [Oblique] [Verb] [Experiencer] The clown's antics amused the children [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Adverb] Little children amuse easily
Verbs of Psychological State (with the same syntax): abash, affect, afflict, affront, aggravate, aggrieve, agitate, agonize, alienate, amaze, amuse, anger, annoy, antagonize, appall, appease, arouse, assuage, astonish, astound, awe, baffle, befuddle, beguile, bewilder, bewitch, boggle, bore, bother, bug, calm, captivate, chagrin, charm, cheer, chill, comfort, concern, confound, confuse, console, content, convince, cow, crush, cut, daunt, daze, dazzle, deject, delight, demolish, demoralize, depress, devastate, disappoint, disarm, discombobulate, discomfit, discompose, disconcert, discourage, disgrace, disgruntle, disgust, dishearten, disillusion, dismay, dispirit, displease, disquiet, dissatisfy, distract, distress, disturb, divert, dumbfound, elate, electrify, embarrass, embolden, enchant, encourage, enervate, engage, engross, enlighten, enliven, enrage, enrapture, entertain, enthrall, enthuse, entice, entrance, exasperate, excite, exhaust, exhilarate, fascinate, fatigue, faze, flabbergast, flatter, floor, fluster, frighten, frustrate, gall, galvanize, gladden, gratify, grieve, harass, harm, haunt, hearten, horrify, humble, humiliate, hurt, hypnotize, impair, impress, incense, inflame, infuriate, inspire, insult, interest, intimidate, intoxicate, intrigue, invigorate, irk, irritate, jade, jar, jollify, jolt, lull, madden, menace, mesmerize, miff, molest, mollify, mortify, move, muddle, mystify, nauseate, nettle, numb, obsess, occupy, offend, outrage, overawe, overwhelm, pacify, pain, peeve, perplex, perturb, pester, pique, placate, plague, please, preoccupy, provoke, puzzle, quench, rankle, ravish, reassure, recharge, refresh, rejuvenate, relax, relieve, repel, repulse, revitalize, revolt, rile, roil, ruffle, sadden, satiate, satisfy, scandalize, scare, shake, shame, shock, sicken, sober, solace, soothe, spellbind, spook, stagger, startle, stimulate, sting, stir, strike, stump, stun, stupefy, surprise, tantalize, taunt, tease, tempt, terrify, terrorize, threaten, thrill, throw, tickle, tire, titillate, torment, torture, touch, transfix, transport, trouble, try, unnerve, unsettle, uplift, upset, vex, weary, worry, wound, wow.
- lexical domain: Emotions - verbs of feeling
- synonyms of alarm: appal / appall / dismay / horrify
- more generic words: affright / fright / frighten / scare = cause fear in
- more specific word: shock = strike with horror or terror
- warn or arouse to a sense of danger or call to a state of preparedness
Alternative definition of the verb alarm
- To call to arms for defense
- To give (someone) notice of approaching danger
- To rouse to vigilance and action; to put on the alert.
- To surprise with apprehension of danger; to fill with anxiety in regard to threatening evil; to excite with sudden fear.
- To keep in excitement; to disturb.
Alarm a.k.a. The Alarm are an alternative rock/new wave band that formed in Rhyl, North Wales, in 1981. Initially formed as a punk band "The Toilets" under lead singer Mike Peters the band soon embraced rock, displaying marked influences from Welsh language and culture. By opening for acts such as U2 and Bob Dylan, they became a popular alternative rock band of the 1980s, retaining a loyal following to the present day.
- read more about The Alarm
- "Alarm" is Namie Amuro's 25th solo single under the Avex Trax label. Released in 2004, it became Namie's first solo single, and only as of 2010, to appear out of the Top 10 on the Oricon Charts.
- "Alarm" a.k.a. "Uzbuna!" is the nineteenth studio album from Serbian rock band Riblja Čorba, released in 2012.
- also known as Uzbuna, Alarm!
- genre: Hard rock
- released on
- "Alarm" is a musical single of Russenmafia.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "ALARM" is the 2004 single by Namie Amuro.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Alarm" is a musical album of Malignant Eternal.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Alarm" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Alarm" is a composition.
- "Alarm" a.k.a. "Alarm!!!" is a musical album of Miguel and The Living Dead.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Alarm" is a musical single of Boys Noize.
- released on
- "Alarm" is a musical album of Illegal 2001.
- released on (19 years ago)
- "Alarm" is a musical album of Peter Brötzmann Group.
- released in (33 years ago)
- "Alarm" is a musical single of Kenneth Bager.
- released in (20 years ago)
"Alarm" is a book published in 2004 that was written by Margit Sandemo.
- language: Swedish Language
- released in (12 years ago)
- "Alarm" is a 2008 Irish thriller film written and directed by Gerard Stembridge.
- country: Republic of Ireland
- language: English Language
- cinematography by Bruno de Keyzer
- genres: Thriller, Indie film, Psychological thriller, Suspense, World cinema
- released in (8 years ago)
- "Alarm" is a 1938 Danish family film directed by Lau Lauritzen, Jr. and Alice O'Fredericks.
- ALARM was a British anti-radiation missile designed primarily to destroy enemy radars for the purpose of Suppression of Enemy Air Defense. It was used by the RAF and the Royal Saudi Air Force, and retired at the end of 2013.
- also known as ALARM反輻射飛彈
- Alarm Magazine is an American quarterly magazine based in Chicago, Illinois that publishes "Music and Art Beyond Comparison." It covers emerging and mid-career musicians and artists with a focus on independent, underground, or otherwise non-mainstream music and art. It also covers fashion, film, toys, and electronic media to a lesser extent.
- official website: www.alarmpress.com
Phrases with Alarm
Phrases starting with the word Alarm:
Phrases ending with the word Alarm:
- Car Alarm
- Baby Alarm
- fire alarm
- false alarm
- Radio Alarm
- smoke alarm
- Hustle Alarm
- Silent Alarm
- burglar alarm
- Pull the Fire Alarm
Other phrases containing the word Alarm:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alarm
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An electrically-protected holder for pocketbooks and other articles, comprising a casing constituting a portable receptacle, an alarm means portably carried separately from said receptacle, an electric circuit including said alarm means, means ...
by Michele Tagliati, Gary Guten, Jo Horne
Then a smaller pocket container or one with the reminder alarm is a good choice for that dose. Establish a regular time(the same time and day every week) for loading the meds into the proper container. Then place the container(s) in the most ...
The Gas Monitoring Handbook (1999)
by Gerald Lee Anderson, David M. Hadden
Alarm is an audible, visual, or physical presentation designed to warn the instrument user that a specific level of a dangerous gas/vapor concentration has been reached or exceeded. Alarm Only Instrument is an instrument providing one or ...
Getting Out Alive (2011)
13 Deadly Scenarios and How Others Survived by Scott B. Williams
But as consciousness returns, you know that can't be right because you are on vacation, and setting a wake-up alarm is the last thing on earth you would do this week. The sound doesn't go away, though, and it's much louder than any alarm ...
Secure Coding (2003)
Principles and Practices by Mark Graff, Kenneth R. Van Wyk
But application event logging lets the security analyst determine whether the alarm is an actual intru- sion or a false alarm. If you can't determine exactly what took place inside the application under (potential) attack, you may not be able to ...
An address to the different classes of persons in Great Britain on the present scarcity and high price of provisions (1795)
to which is added an appendix, containing a table of the average price of wheat in every year, from the year 1595 to 1790, inclusive by Septimus Hodson
Instead 6f reproaching those whose stores are not yet brought to market, the great cause of alarm is that enough is not still reserved. In a time of dearness our resentment ...
by H. Brooke Stauffer
Zone (as applied to fire alarm systems).
by Amy Wenzel
Behavioral Treatment With an Enuresis Alarm The treatment approach best supported by the literature is a behavioral ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alarm
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alarm
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Adam Tinworth
Photo credit: Vitorcius
With Panasonic Lumix GX8 + Helios 44-2
Photo credit: A_Peach
Photo credit: xurde
Photo credit: Luigi Rosa
Just in case it's not reliable enough, grab a phone and call the authorities.
Photo credit: matt.davis
Photo credit: twicepix
Photo credit: lisa-skorpion
Photo credit: bgreenlee
Photo credit: Clint Gardner
- Sprinkler alarm
Photo credit: Jonas B
- Alarm Mute
Photo credit: renaissancechambara
- Alarm Squircle
Photo credit: Xurble
- Venom Alarm
Has it ever gone off before? Taken at the National Aquarium in Baltimore.
Photo credit: emily_hammie
Photo credit: Paul Papadimitriou
Photo credit: wiredforlego
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Alarm
Click on an item to play that video:
- First Alert Explosive Gas and Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert's 2 in 1 Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert's Talking Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert Digital Display Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert Dual Sensor Smoke Detector and Alarm explanation and un-boxing video for SA302CN
- First Alert's One Link Voice Sounding Smoke and CO Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- Alarm Meaning
Video shows what alarm means. A summons to arms, as on the approach of an enemy.. Any sound or information intended to give notice of approaching danger; ...
- Silent alarm Meaning
Video shows what silent alarm means. A burglar alarm that makes no noise that is audible to the trespasser.. Silent alarm Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Create your own PC Alarm + Detailed explanation
Computer Advise episode 20 - This episode is dedicated to those who wants to learn Visual Basic programming language, and also to those who simply wants ...
- Wakeup on Day Light Alarm Circuit and Explanation
Here is the video of "Wake up on day light alarm" which sounds an alarm when sun rises. With this circuit, you can wake up on sun rise without even setting the ...
- AMCO alarm activation explanation
- Baby alarm Meaning
Video shows what baby alarm means. A baby monitor.. baby alarm synonyms: baby monitor. Baby alarm Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary ...
- UniPhyer Alarm Profile Explanation
- Alarm explanation
- Alarm levels definition in Wi-care system
- Bird Language Excerpt - Baseline VS Alarm
- Bird Language Excerpt - Shapes of Alarm - Oppression
- How to Tell Red Squirrel Alarm Calls from Territorial Calls (Bird Language & Tree Squirrels)
Why is that squirrel making all those crazy noises? Discover how to make razor sharp observations and tune into the rhythms of nature with a free report that ...
- Learn bOb's language: Error Codes, Battery Saving Alarm, and more
If you ever notice that Bobsweep is not working like usual, do not worry. Chances are that the problem isn't as serious as it looks. The following are some simple ...
- IntelliFlo VF intro, keypad description & alarm reset
Description the keypad on the Pentair IntelliFlo VF pump. Alarm reset.
- Sms alarm for car - short description
- Language Arts Septet " ALARM" by Dorian WAllace
Language Arts Septet: Tim McDonald - Tenor Saxophone Jimmy Redmond - Trombone Dorian Wallace - Piano/Keyboards Trevor Wozniak - Guitar Jerome ...
- Evolutionary Alarm Sounds within Language: A Presentation by Chris Oszywa
- Dictionary: Alarm
- Verb Alert spoof of First Alert Instant Alarm
See also the pronunciation examples of Alarm!
Quotes about Alarm
Scrabble value of A1L1A1R1M3
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALARM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alarm!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alarm to see it in context!