Alberto Manguel (novelist)
On this page:
Who is Alberto Manguel?
Alberto Manguel is an Argentine-born Canadian anthologist, translator, essayist, novelist and editor. He is the author of numerous non-fiction books such as The Dictionary of Imaginary Places, A History of Reading, The Library at Night and Homer's Iliad and Odyssey: A Biography; and novels such as News From a Foreign Country Came. Though almost all of Manguel's books were written in English, two of his novels were written in Spanish, and El regreso has not yet been published in English. Manguel has also written film criticism such as Bride of Frankenstein and collections of essays such as Into the Looking Glass Wood. In 2007, Manguel was selected to be that year's annual lecturer for the prestigious Massey Lectures.
- also known as Αλμπέρτο Μάνγκουελ; Αλμπέρτο Μανγκουέλ; Αλμπέρτο Μάνγκελ; 阿爾維托·曼古埃爾; Мангель, Альберто
- born in (67 years ago) in Buenos Aires
- nationality: Canada
- profession: Writer, novelist, author, translator, editor
- written works: "The Dictionary of Imaginary Places", "A reading diary", "Une histoire de la lecture", "Le Livre d'images", "Reading Pictures", "El Bosque del Espejo", "The City of Words", "Un Amante Extremadamente Puntilloso", "Im Spiegelreich.", "Into the looking-glass wood", "Nuevo Elogio de La Locura", "The Library at Night", "Leyendo Imagenes", "Bride of Frankenstein", "Gates of Paradise", "Stevenson sous les palmiers", "Con Borges", "Stevenson under the palm trees", "Bilder lesen.", "A history of reading", "Mothers and Daughters", "With Borges", "Kipling", "Eine Geschichte des Lesens.", "Dictionnaire des lieux imaginaires", "Magic Land of Toys", "Homer's the Iliad and the Odyssey", "Soho Square Three", "Dans la forêt du miroir. Essai sur les mots et sur le monde", "Contos de Horror do Século XIX", "Una Historia de La Lectura", "The Oxford Book of Canadian Ghost Stories", "Im siebten Kreis", "Leer Imagenes", "News from a foreign country came", "Guia de Lugares Imaginarios", "Aguas negras", "Breve Guia De Lugares Imaginarios", "Antología de literatura fantástica argentina", "The Ark in the Garden", "By the Light of the Glow-Worm Lamp", "The Second Gates of Paradise", "In Another Part Of The Forest:", "Dernières nouvelles d'une terre abandonnée", "La biblioteca de noche / The Library at Night", "La Novia de Frank-Enstein/ Bride of Frankenstein"
- award: - Guggenheim Fellowship for Creative Arts, US & Canada (General Nonfiction)
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alberto Manguel (novelist)
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the pronunciation of Alberto Manguel to learn how to say it correctly!