On this page:
Who is Albrecht Dürer?
Albrecht Dürer was a German painter, engraver, printmaker, mathematician, and theorist from Nuremberg. His high-quality woodcuts established his reputation and influence across Europe when he was still in his twenties, and he has been conventionally regarded as the greatest artist of the Northern Renaissance. His vast body of work includes altarpieces, religious works, numerous portraits and self-portraits, and copper engravings. The woodcuts, such as the Apocalypse series, retain a more Gothic flavour than the rest of his work. His well-known prints include the Knight, Death, and the Devil, Saint Jerome in his Study and Melencolia I, which has been the subject of extensive analysis and interpretation. His watercolours also mark him as one of the first European landscape artists, while his ambitious woodcuts revolutionized the potential of that medium.
- also known as Albrecht Durer, Albrecht Dürer
- born on (544 years ago) in Nuremberg
- ethnicity: Germans, Bavarians
- nationality: Germany
- religion: Catholicism
- profession: Artist, visual artist, painter
- died on (487 years ago) in Nuremberg
- written works: "Nature's artist", "Aus Albrecht Dürers aufzeichnungen über kunst", "Albrecht Dürer"
- "Albrecht Dürer" is a book by Walter L. Strauss & Walter Strauss.
- also known as "Albrecht Dürer: woodcuts and wood blocks"; "Albrecht Dürer: intaglio prints, engravings, etchings & drypoints"
- "Albrecht Dürer" is a book by Friedrich Nüchter.
- also known as "Albrecht Dürer; his life and a selection of his works with explanatory comments on the various plates by Friedrich Nüchter"
- "Albrecht Dürer" is a book by Walter Koschatzky.
- also known as "Albrecht Dürer: the landscape water-colours"
- "Albrecht Dürer" is a book by Richard Ford Heath.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Albrecht Dürer
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Top 10 Toronto (2011)
by Lorraine Johnson
by German etcher Albrecht Dürer is a highlight. Works by Canadian artists also feature strongly. The Marvin Gelber Prints and Drawing Study Centre displays selected pieces.
by George Haggerty, Bonnie Zimmerman
Albrecht Dürer, the outstanding German artist of the Renaissance, was married and never publicly accused of homosexual behavior.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Albrecht Dürer
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Quotes about Albrecht Dürer
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Albrecht Dürer to see it in context!