On this page:
- Alcantara a.k.a. Alcántara is a municipality in the province of Cáceres, Extremadura, Spain, on the Tagus, near Portugal. The toponym is from the Arabic word al-QanTarah meaning "the bridge".
- read more about Alcántara (city)
- Alcantara a.k.a. Alcântara is a civil parish of the city and municipality of Lisbon. Its name is derived from the Arabic, meaning the bridge, and refers to an ancient Roman bridge that once existed there, until the reign of John V. Located in the southwestern corner of Lisbon, along the northern margin of the Tagus River, Alcântara had a population in 2011 of 13,943, in an area of 5.07 km².
- read more about Alcântara
- The Alcantara is a river in Sicily. It has its source on the south side of Monti Nebrodi and its mouth in the Ionian Sea at Capo Schiso in Giardini-Naxos. The river is 52 kilometres long.
- Alcantara a.k.a. Alcântara, Maranhão: Alcântara is a Brazilian municipality in the state of Maranhão. The city has a population of 22,359, and is 30 km away from the state's capital, São Luís.
- read more about Alcântara, Maranhão
- Alcantara a.k.a. The Alcântara Launch Center is a satellite launching base of the Brazilian Space Agency in the city of Alcântara, located on Brazil's northern Atlantic coast, in the state of Maranhão. It is operated by the Brazilian Air Force. The CLA is the closest launching base to the equator. This gives the launch site a significant advantage in launching geosynchronous satellites, an attribute shared by the Guiana Space Centre.
- also known as Centro de Lancamento de Alcantara, Alcântara
- official website: www.cla.aer.mil.br
There are other places with in their name, like Mojo Alcantara.
- Alcantara is a fictional character from the 1971 film My Name Is Rocco Papaleo.
- Alcantara a.k.a. Alcántara is a fictional character from the 2000 film The Sea.
"Alcantara" is a musical album of Amina Alaoui.
Alcantara is a tradename given to a composite material used to cover surfaces and forms in a variety of applications. It can be described as an artificial substitute for suede leather. The material was developed in the early 1970s by Miyoshi Okamoto, a scientist working for the Japanese chemical company Toray Industries, and was based on the same technology of their other product Ultrasuede, produced around the same time. Around 1972, a joint venture between Italian chemical company ENI and Toray formed Alcantara SpA in order to manufacture and distribute the material. The company is now owned by Toray and Mitsui.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alcantara
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Regis St. Louis, Gary Chandler
Sleeping & Eating Alcantara is a straightforward day trip from ...
Embracing Descriptions of France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Sicily, Switzerland, Belgium, and Holland, Together with Interesting Notices of Their Principal Cities and Towns
ALCANTARA is a small frontier city of great strength in Spanish Estremadura, upon the banks of the Tagus. The town was originally built by the Moors, on account of the convenience of a fine stone bridge which, as recorded in an inscription ...
Alcantara is a fortified town on the Tagus, not far from the frontiers of Port! gal ...
ALCANTARA is a fortified town on the Tagus, not far from the frontiers of P it gal. It derives its name (which signifies a stone) from an old bridge built there in the days of the Emperor Trajan. There are good manufactures of cloth. ALBUaLERqLE ...
The American Magazine (1888)
Alcantara is a suburb of Lisbon and a station on the Suez Canal. The Alcacarias of Lisbon may be compared with Al Ahzar in Cairo. There are numberless common words of pure Arabic still in use, and the wonder is that the whole character of ...
Alcantara is a suburb of Lisbon and a station on the Suez Canal. The Alcaçarias of Lisbon may be compared with Al Ahzar in Cairo. There are numberless common words of pure Arabic still in use, and the wonder is that the whole character of ...
by Frank Leslie
Alcantara is a suburb of Lisbon anil a station on the Suez Caual. The Alcagarias of Lisbon may be compared with Al Ahzar in Cairo. There are numberless common words of pure Arabic still in use, and the wonder is that the whole character of ...
Butler* Journal, Alcantara is a small frontier city of great strength in ...
ALCANTARA, a city of Spain, in the province of Estremadura, on the frontiers of Portugal; 7. o. W. long. 39. 10. N. lat. Knigfilt os Alcantara, a military order of Spain, which took its name from the above-mentioned city. The knights of Alcantara ...
The Edinburgh Encyclopaedia (1830)
by Sir David Brewster
ALCANTARA, ORDER of, an ancient military order in Spain. This order, which , at its first institution, was called the order of St Julian, was founded in 1156, by Don Suero Fernandes, and Don Gomez Fernandes Banientos, two brothers from ...
Historic books etc on garden design and landscape architecture by Tom Turner
In the year of redemption, 1394, there was a valiant and devout grand master of Alcantara, named Martin Yanez de Barbudo, who was inflamed with a vehement desire to serve God and fight the Moors. Unfortunately for this brave and pious ...
Embracing Biblical, Historical, Doctrinal, and Practical Theology and Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Biography from the Earliest Times to the Present Day
ALCANTARA, Ol-can'ta-ra, ORDER OF: A spiritual order of knights, with Cistercian rule, founded for the defense of the frontier of Castile against the Moors under Alfonso VIII., the Noble (1158-1214). Its name at first was Order of San Julian del ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alcantara
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alcantara
Click on an item to view that photo:
Videos about Alcantara
Click on an item to play that video:
- Teresa Tinsley, Alcantara Communications, on decision to scrap a number of language exams
Teresa Tinsley, the Director of Alcantara Communications which provides research for the All Parliamentary Committee on Modern Languages in the British ...
- Learn about the Cyrillog Language (By: Khristian Alcantara) in
See also the pronunciation examples of Alcantara!
Scrabble value of A1L1C3A1N1T1A1R1A1
The value of this 9-letter word is 11 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alcantara to see it in context!