On this page:
Definition of the noun alcibiades
What does alcibiades mean as a name of something?
- ancient Athenian statesman and general in the Peloponnesian War (circa 450-404 BC)
Who is Alcibiades?
Alcibiades, son of Cleinias, from the deme of Scambonidae, was a prominent Athenian statesman, orator, and general. He was the last famous member of his mother's aristocratic family, the Alcmaeonidae, which fell from prominence after the Peloponnesian War. He played a major role in the second half of that conflict as a strategic advisor, military commander, and politician.
- also known as Ἀλκιβιάδης, Alkibiádēs, Alkibiades
- born in 0449 B.C. (2465 years ago) in Classical Athens, child of Cleinias and Deinomache
- ethnicity: Greeks
- nationality: Classical Athens, Ancient Greece, Sparta
- religion: Ancient Greek religion
- profession: Politician, orator, statesman, military officer
- Marriage with Hipparete between and
- parent of Αλκιβιάδης ο Νεότερος
- died in 0403 B.C. (2419 years ago) in Phrygia of assassination
Alcibiades was an American Thoroughbred racemare that won the Kentucky Oaks and was later a good broodmare.
- born in (89 years ago)
- Alcibiades: The prominent Athenian statesman Alcibiades has been criticized by ancient comic writers and appears in several Socratic dialogues. He enjoys an important afterlife, in literature and art, having acquired symbolic status as the personification of ambition and sexual profligacy. He continues to fascinate the world and appears in several significant works of modern literature.
- Alcibiades is a fictional film character.
"Alcibiades" is a musical EP of Stab! Stab! Stab!.
- released in (11 years ago)
Phrases with Alcibiades
- Graphium Alcibiades
- Marpesia Alcibiades
- Catagramma Alcibiades
- Caffrocrambus Alcibiades
- Trachelobdella Alcibiades
- Species Marpesia Alcibiades
- Species Catagramma Alcibiades
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alcibiades
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Politics of Infinity by Laurence D. Cooper
Unlike Apollodorus and Aristodemus, Alcibiades is a palpably frustrated lover. The former wish only to be with Socrates by following and beholding him, which they are permitted to do. Alcibiades, though, wants something more like what lovers ...
The Works of Plato (2010)
Charmides, Lysis, Other Dialogues and the Laws by Plato
The First Alcibiades is a good specimen of the former class. It is by no means without merit, and is clearly and simply written.
Chaucer Name Dictionary (2014)
A Guide to Astrological, Biblical, Historical, Literary, and Mythological Names in the Works of Geoffrey Chaucer by Jacqueline de Weever
ALCEBIADES, ALCIBIADES, ALCIPYADES. Alcibiades (c. 450- 404 b.c.) was ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alcibiades
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alcibiades
Click on an item to view that photo:
Scrabble value of A1L1C3I1B3I1A1D2E1S1
The value of this 10-letter word is 15 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alcibiades to find many related words and phrases!