On this page:
Definition of the noun alcidae
What does alcidae mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- web-footed diving seabirds of northern seas: auks; puffins; guillemots; murres; etc.
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of Alcidae: family Alcidae
- more generic term: bird family = a family of warm-blooded egg-laying vertebrates characterized by feathers and forelimbs modified as wings
- member of: Charadriiformes / order Charadriiformes = large diverse order of aquatic birds found along seacoasts and inland waters: shorebirds and coastal diving birds
- auk = black-and-white short-necked web-footed diving bird of northern seas
- genus Alca / Alca = type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill
- genus Plautus / Plautus = a genus of Alcidae
- genus Pinguinus / Pinguinus = great auk
- genus Cepphus / Cepphus = a genus of birds including: guillemots
- genus Uria / Uria = murres
- puffin = any of two genera of northern seabirds having short necks and brightly colored compressed bills
- genus Fratercula / Fratercula = puffins
- genus Lunda / Lunda = puffins
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alcidae
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Canadian Encyclopedia (1999)
by James H. Marsh
Penelope Reed Doob Auk Alcidae is a family of highly specialized SEABIRDS that contains ...
by Douglas M. Considine, Glenn D. Considine
Alcidae Sand-grouse (17) Pteroclidae Muscovy (12) Anatidae Sandpiper ...
Encyclopedia Britannica (1922)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information by Hugh Chisholm
DIVER, a name that when applied to a bird is commonly used in a sense even more vague than that of loom, several of the sea ducks or Fuligulinae and mergansers being frequently so called, to say nothing of certain of the auks or Alcidae ...
by John A. Simpson, E. S. C. Weiner
family name Alcidae, f. mod.L. genus name Alca (adopted by C. Linnaeus in ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney (1903)
Alcidae (al's de), ". # [NL., (Alca + -idae.] The auks; a family of natatorial sea-birds hav; ing short wings and tail, palmate three-toed feet, and a bill shaped very variously in the different species. The body is stout and clumsy, and the legs are ...
Alcidae (al's de). ". £ [NL., & Alca + -idae.] The auks; a family of natatorial sea- birds hav: ing short wings and tail, palmate three-toed feet, and a bill shaped very variously in the different species. The body is stout and clumsy, and the legs are ...
Antarctica and the Arctic Circle: A Geographic Encyclopedia of the Earth's Polar Regions [2 volumes] (2014)
by Andrew Jon Hund
and auks (Alcidae). Of these families, the one petrel (Northern Fulmar, ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2003)
by Michael Allaby
See Alcidae. marbled newt (Triturus ...
Word Parts Dictionary (2000)
Standard and Reverse Listings of Prefixes, Suffixes, Roots and Combining Forms, 2d ed. by Michael J. Sheehan
base auk (Alcidae, alcidine) alea- [L. alea, game of chance] base dice; chance (aleatoric, aleatory) alectoro-,alectryo- [Gr. alektrion, cock] comb cock; rooster ...
Alcidae (al'si-de), n. pi. [NL., < Alca + -ida.] The auks ; a family of natatorial sea-birds having short wings and tail, palmate three-toed feet, and a bill shaped very variously in the different species. The body is stout and clumsy, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alcidae
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of A1L1C3I1D2A1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALCIDAE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alcidae!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alcidae to find many related words and phrases!