On this page:
Definition of the noun alcides
What does alcides mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- (classical mythology) a hero noted for his strength; performed 12 immense labors to gain immortality
- Alcides a.k.a. Heracles, born Alcaeus or Alcides, was a divine hero in Greek mythology, the son of Zeus and Alcmene, foster son of Amphitryon and great-grandson of Perseus. He was the greatest of the Greek heroes, a paragon of masculinity, the ancestor of royal clans who claimed to be Heracleidae and a champion of the Olympian order against chthonic monsters. In Rome and the modern West, he is known as Hercules, with whom the later Roman Emperors, in particular Commodus and Maximian, often identified themselves. The Romans adopted the Greek version of his life and works essentially unchanged, but added anecdotal detail of their own, some of it linking the hero with the geography of the Central Mediterranean. Details of his cult were adapted to Rome as well.
- read more about Heracles
- Alcides is a fictional character from the 2008 film Passion of Gabriel.
- Alcides is a fictional character from the 2010 film Ostrich's Flight.
- Alcides is a fictional character from the 2004 film The Other Side of the Street.
Phrases with Alcides
- Alcides Biai
- Alcides Bubo
- Alcides Erro
- Alcides Feae
- Alcides Mali
- Alcides Naso
- Alcides Pius
- Alcides Audax
- Alcides Comma
- Alcides Delta
- Alcides Konoi
- Alcides Liris
- Alcides Miser
- Alcides Morio
- Alcides Muiri
- Alcides Niger
- Alcides Rufus
- Alcides Senex
- Alcides Simus
- Alcides Tutus
View more phrases with the word Alcides in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alcides
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Aeneid 1–6 (2013)
Thesea and Alciden are Greek accusative forms; Alcides is a patronymic* describing Hercules, who was the (maternal) grandson of Alceus. For the actions of Theseus and Hercules in the underworld, see notes on 392 and 393. Thesea ...
by Jennifer R. March
Alcides. The namebywhich HERACLES,grandson ofALCAEUS (1),was often known. Alcimede. Daughter of PHYLACUS; wife of AESON; andmotherof JASON, ...
by David Crystal
Alcibiades n т alsгboidiz, - bэтоsp Alcibiades" Alcides n alsoldiz sp Alcides/ alderliefestad) aldollfist, plspalder liefest' ...
by Percival George Woodcock
Alcides 10 Alcides, one of the names of Hercules. Alcmena,
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
phylum Arthropoda class Insecta order Lepidoptera family Uraniidae genus Several, including Alcides, Chrysiridia, Uranus species About 100, including zodiac moth, Alcides zodiaca; Madagascan sunset moth, Chrysiridia riphearia; Sloane's ...
or Alcides ( ' son of strength ' ), and compilers of myths had to allege that the ...
Bell's New Pantheon; Or, Historical Dictionary of the Gods, Demi-gods, Heroes, and Fabulous Personages of Antiquity (1790)
Also, of the Images and Idols Adored in the Pagan World; Together with Their Temples, Priests, Altars, Oracles, Fasts, Festivals, Games ... by John Bell
ALCAEUS, son of Perseus, and husband of Hip- pomone, or Hipponome, was the grandfather of Hercules, from whom some pretend him to have been called Alcides.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alcides
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alcides
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Alcides Escobar.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Alcides
Video shows what Alcides means. Hercules.. Alcides Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Alcides. Powered by MaryTTS ...
Scrabble value of A1L1C3I1D2E1S1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALCIDES
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alcides!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alcides to see it in context!