On this page:
- Definition of the noun alder
- Phrases with Alder
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alder
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alder
- Photos about Alder
- Videos about Alder
- Quotes about Alder
- Scrabble value of A1L1D2E1R1
- Anagrams of ALDER
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alder
What does alder mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alders / alder (variant)
- wood of any of various alder trees; resistant to underwater rot; used for bridges etc
- north temperate shrubs or trees having toothed leaves and conelike fruit; bark is used in tanning and dyeing and the wood is rot-resistant
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonym of alder: alder tree
- more generic word: tree = a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown
- more specific terms:
- European black alder / Alnus glutinosa / Alnus vulgaris / common alder = medium-sized tree with brown-black bark and woody fruiting catkins
- Alnus incana / gray alder / grey alder = native to Europe but introduced in America
- Alnus maritima / seaside alder = shrub or small tree of southeastern United States having soft light brown wood
- Alnus rhombifolia / mountain alder / white alder = tree of western United States
- Oregon alder / Alnus rubra / red alder = large tree of Pacific coast of North America having hard red wood much used for furniture
- speckled alder / Alnus rugosa = common shrub of Canada and northeastern United States having shoots scattered with rust-colored down
- Alnus serrulata / smooth alder / hazel alder = common shrub of the eastern United States with smooth bark
- Alnus veridis / green alder = shrub of mountainous areas of Europe
- Alnus veridis crispa / Alnus crispa / green alder = North American shrub with light green leaves and winged nuts
- member of: Alnus / genus Alnus = alders
Alternative definition of the noun alder
- Any of several trees or shrubs of the genus Alnus, belonging to the birch family.
- Alder is a census-designated place in Madison County, Montana, United States. The population was 116 at the 2000 census. Alder takes its name from Alder Creek, the site of the second major gold discovery in Montana.
- Alder is a populated place located in Saguache County, Colorado, United States.
- Alder a.k.a. Alder, Washington: Alder is a census-designated place in Pierce County, Washington, United States. The population was 227 at the 2010 census. The community is located along the shore of Alder Lake on State Route Highway 7 near the entrance to Mount Rainier National Park.
- read more about Alder, Washington
- ALDER is an Aviation waypoint.
- also known as waypoint ALDER, ALDER waypoint, ALDER fix, fix ALDER
- Alder a.k.a. Alder, Oregon: Alder is an unincorporated community in Benton County, Oregon, United States. Alder lies near U.S. Route 20 southeast of Blodgett on the Marys River in the Central Oregon Coast Range. The post office serving Alder was named Hipp.
- read more about Alder, Oregon
Who is Alder?
Alder a.k.a. David Bowick is a singer, songwriter, record producer and author.
- read more about David Bowick (singer)
Alder is a fictional character from the book series The Pendragon Adventure.
- created by D. J. MacHale
- "Alder" is a musical album of Per Runberg.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Alder" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music by Bryan Carrigan
- Alder is a lunar impact crater that is located in the southern hemisphere on the far side of the Moon. It is located in the South Pole-Aitken basin, and lies to the southeast of the crater Von Kármán. Southeast of Alder is Bose, and to the south-southwest lies Boyle.
- also known as آلدر
- Alder is a restaurant in New York City run by chef Wylie Dufresne.
- official website: aldernyc.com
- Alder is a family name.
Phrases with Alder
Phrases starting with the word Alder:
Phrases ending with the word Alder:
- red alder
- gray alder
- grey alder
- black alder
- green alder
- hazel alder
- Nepal Alder
- white alder
- witch alder
- common alder
- oregon alder
- smooth alder
- Yellow Alder
- Arizona Alder
- Italian Alder
View more phrases with the word Alder in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alder
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Identification, Wildlife Values, and Landscaping Use by Sally S. Weeks, Harmon Patrick Weeks, Michael Homoya
Speckled alder is an important shrub along the waterways where it occurs.
Form and Size: Speckled alder is a large shrub, sometimes classified as a small tree, though it is nearly always multi-stemmed at the ground. Its crooked ...
It is called alder in Sweden ; in Iceland oler, from which we get owler, by which name the tree is known in many parts of England.
The Alder is a diaecious tree, that is, the male and female flowers are separate, but upon the same tree.
Annual Report (1908)
by Ohio State Board of Agriculture
The Alder is what is called technically the Al- nus. The Elder is the Sambucus. The Alder is an inhabitant of swampy land. It generally grows in swampy or low land. It has a little cone- shaped seed, something like the birches or the conifers, and ...
The Alder is what is called technically the Alnus. The Elder is the Sambucus. The Alder is an inhabitant of swampy land. It generally grows in swampy or low land. It has a little coneshaped seed, something like the birches or the conifers, and ...
by Wenhua Li
Alder is an endemic species and an associated species in subtropical evergreen broadleaved forests in China. It usually grows near river or stream banks, or hilly lands with elevations below 1500 m. It is a light-demanding and fast- growing ...
Firewood Crops (1980)
Shrub and Tree Species for Energy Production : Report of an Ad Hoc Panel of the Advisory Committee on Technology Innovation, Board on Science and Technology for International Development, Commission on International Relations
Description Red alder is a tree up to 40 m tall, with smooth, gray bark and trunk diameter up to about 1 m thick. It has a narrow pyramidal head and pendulous branches; the leaves are dark and smooth on top, whitish underneath, and are ...
Alder is a primary-succession species (one of the first to recolonize highly disturbed sites) and is usually shaded out 40 to 50 years after first being overtopped by Sitka spnrce. Red alder is rarely found above 1,000 feet in elevation, but Sitka ...
Explaining Not Only the Terms of Art in All the Several Parts of Architecture, But Also Containing the Theory and Practice ...
ALDER is an AquatickTree, too well known to need any Description. In former Times, large Al- ders were used for building Boats ; and now they are very much esteem'd for such Parts of Works which lie continually under Water ; where it will ...
by CTI Reviews
Alder is a lunar impact crater that is located in the southern hemisphere on the far side of the Moon.
by Raven Grimassi
ALDER TREE (Alnus glntinosa) is a tree of the hirch family, ...
Volume 1: North America by M.M. Grandtner
e glabrate tropical alder faulne acuminé glabre s abedul, aile, aliso, alizo, ilite verde, olmo del país, palo de aguila (Mexico) o yagabizie (Mexico) 335 Alnus incana (L.) Moench Betulaceae NM North America (Canada: Yukon Territory, ...
by Michael A. Dirr
species, Alnus rhombifolia, water alder, and A. rubra, are large trees. Alnusjaponica, Japanese alder, bears beautiful, deeply veined, lustrous dark green leaves. Alnus hirsuta, Manchurian alder, with dull, dark gray-green ...
Polymer Science Dictionary (1996)
by M. Alger
Diels-Alder polymerization Polymerization by a Diels- Alder reaction between a bisdiene and a bisdienophile as monomers. Although these monomers are often difficult to prepare, the method is of interest in the synthesis of aromatic polymers, ...
A Practical Guide to Creating Healing, Protection, and Prosperity Using Plants, Herbs, and Flowers by Susan Gregg
alder will: Attract fairies, helping you recover lost items, Help you attract success in business, Blend courage with compassion and strength with generosity of spirit the plant: The Alder family is indigenous to almost every country and continent.
A Dictionary of Entomology (2011)
Betula alnus, or common alder: peduncles branched; leaves roundish-wedge- form, very obtuse, glutinous; axils of the veins villose underneath. The common alder ap-, pears generally as a shrub ; it will however grow to a considerable tree, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alder
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alder
Click on an item to view that photo:
root beer pudding, smoked cashews
Photo credit: Edsel L
rye, smoked vermouth, Campari
Photo credit: Edsel L
Alnus sp. Rock Creek Park, Washington, DC, USA.
Photo credit: treegrow
A colour spot in a white winter landscape.
Photo credit: randihausken
Photo credit: Sam Beebe
Photo credit: dreamsjung
Photo credit: Ole Husby
Photo credit: randihausken
Photo credit: Andrea Pokrzywinski
Photo credit: Ole Husby
Photo credit: Stylva
- Alder Moth Caterpillar. Acronicta alni
WWT Grafton Woods, Worcs. SO973563
Photo credit: gailhampshire
- Alder trunk
Photo credit: Graham'n'Judy
- Alder Catkin
This is the male part of the reproduction system of this tree.
Photo credit: born1945
- Alder shoot
Photographed near Newton, Suffolk, England.
Photo credit: Deanster1983 who's mostly off
- Deck view with alder
Photo credit: Keira
View more pictures about Ben Alder.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Alder
Click on an item to play that video:
- Alder Meaning
Video shows what alder means. Any of several trees or shrubs of the genus Alnus, belonging to the birch family.. alder pronunciation. How to pronounce ...
- 8th grade Jonathan Alder Vocabulary Project
- Alder Meaning
Video shows what Alder means. for someone who lived by alder trees.. Alder Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Alder.
- Alder Forest - Soil Description
See also the pronunciation examples of Alder!
Quotes about Alder
Scrabble value of A1L1D2E1R1
The value of this 5-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALDER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alder!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alder to see it in context!