On this page:
Who is Alec Douglas-Home?
Alec Douglas-Home: Alexander Frederick Douglas-Home, Baron Home of the Hirsel, KT, PC was a British Conservative politician who served as Prime Minister from October 1963 to October 1964. He is notable for being the last Prime Minister to hold office while being a member of the House of Lords, prior to renouncing his peerage and taking up a seat in the House of Commons for the remainder of his premiership. His reputation, however, rests more on his two spells as the UK's foreign minister than on his brief premiership.
- also known as Sir Alec Douglas-Home; Alexander Frederick Douglas-Home, 14th Earl of Home, later Baron Home of the Hirsel; アレクサンダー・フレデリック・ダグラス＝ヒューム
- born on (112 years ago) in Mayfair, London, child of Charles Douglas-Home and Lady Lilian Lambton
- ethnicity: Scottish people
- nationality: United Kingdom
- religion: Scottish Episcopal Church
- Marriage with Elizabeth Douglas-Home, Baroness Home of the Hirsel
- parent of David Douglas-Home, 15th Earl of Home
- died on (20 years ago) in Coldstream
- written work: "The way the wind blows"
"Alec Douglas-Home" is a book by D. R. Thorpe.
- subjects: England, History of the British Isles, Great Britain, House of Hanover, History, 20th century
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alec Douglas-Home
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Sylvia Ellis
Alec Douglas-Home became prime minister in October 1963 after the resignation of Harold Macmillan. A Conservative politician since 1931, and ...
Home, Sir Alec Douglas-Home, 14th earl of [S] (1903–95).
Parties, Groups and Movements of the 20th Century by Peter Barberis, John McHugh, Mike Tyldesley
October Lord Home renounces peerage and is now Sir Alec Douglas-Home, becoming PM and (from November) Conservative leader following Macmillan's retirement on health grounds. November President Kennedy assassinated.
by William Safire
A British example: in the general election of 1964, Conservative Prime Minister Sir Alec Douglas-Home faced a tough interrogation on BBC television. In answering a question about a proposed supplement for older pensioners, Sir Alec used ...
by Robert Andrews
BRITISH STATESMAN Sir Alec Douglas-Home, Baron Home of the Hirsel. Elected Conservative MP in ...
by David Robertson
imperialist under Winston Churchill and Anthony Eden, 'high' Tory with considerable leanings towards practical social-welfare provision under Harold Macmillan and Sir Alec Douglas-Home, and technocratically Keynesian and Europeanist ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alec Douglas-Home
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alec Douglas-Home to see it in context!