On this page:
Definition of the noun alecto
What does alecto mean as a name of something?
- one of the three Furies
- Alecto is a fictional character from the 1951 film Atoll K.
- Alecto is a fictional character from the 2004 film King Arthur.
- Alecto is one of the Erinyes, or Furies, in Greek mythology. According to Hesiod, she was the daughter of Gaea fertilized by the blood spilled from Uranus when Cronus castrated him. She is the sister of Tisiphone and Megaera. Alecto is the Erinys with the job of castigating the moral crimes, especially if they are against other people. Her function is similar to Nemesis, with the difference that Nemesis's function is to castigate crimes against the gods. Alecto appeared in Virgil's Aeneid, in Dante's Inferno, in the musical piece Music for a While by Purcell, in Miklós Zrínyi's Siege of Sziget, in the works of Dostoyevsky, and in Handel's Rinaldo HWV 7 in the Aria "Sibillar gli angui d'Aletto".
- also known as 阿莱克托
- The Alecto was an experimental self propelled gun developed by the British during the Second World War but terminated with the end of the war in Europe.
- also known as 阿萊克托自行火炮
- Alecto motorcycles were manufactured between 1919 and 1925 in London by Whitmee Engineering. A chain-driven 345cc model was built between 1923 and 1924.
Phrases with Alecto
Phrases starting with the word Alecto:
Phrases ending with the word Alecto:
- Genus Alecto
- Larra Alecto
- Erebia Alecto
- Tipula Alecto
- Ugyops alecto
- Yvesia Alecto
- Coluber Alecto
- Euploea Alecto
- Jamides Alecto
- Larrada Alecto
- Melecta alecto
- Myiagra alecto
- Octopus alecto
View more phrases with the word Alecto in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alecto
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Giovanni Boccaccio, Jon Solomon
Alecto is the Wrst of the Furies, daughter of Acheron and Night.
Understanding Company News (2010)
How to interpret stock market announcements by Rodney Hobson
Alecto is a curious case of how companies these days err on the side of making announcements even when nothing much is happening. (The share price, which had barely risen above 3p since the company joined AIM in 2006, sunk to a ...
Speciation, Ecology & Biogeography by Ernst Mayr, Jared M. Diamond
alecto is a recent invader from New Guinea, now occurring sympatrically with M. hebetior on Bismarck islands where the two subspecies segregate ecologically by habitat. Halcyon o Ptilopo on onHoyon olors | ro olors olokingfishers Plate ...
The Pirate Story Megapack (2014)
25 Classic and Modern Tales by Robert E. Howard, R.M. Ballantyne
The Alecto is a noble frigate and a very comfortable ship, whilst Fanshawe is one of the ...
The Stock Farm (1885)
by Andrew G. Leonard, John C. Cooke
Clay, Alecto is a dark bay, no white, full 16 hands high, exceptionally ...
by Bo Beolens, Michael Watkins, Michael Grayson
Shining FlycatcherMyiagra alecto Temminck, 1827 PalmCockatoo ssp. Probosciger aterrimusalecto Temminck, 1835NCR [JS Probosciger aterrimus goliath] Alecto wasa character from Greek mythology,oneof the three Furies. Accordingto ...
The Micrographic Dictionary (1883)
A Guide to the Examination and Investigation of the Structure and Nature of Microscopic Objects by John William Griffith, Arthur Henfrey
ALECTO. ALG,E. wards the base and forming more than one row. Body attached to a Sertularia by a tolerably stout stem. A second species was rather smaller, body- ovate, with a very slender and shortish stem ; tentacles capitate, not so ...
by Charles Russell Coulter, Patricia Turner
Alecto Alektro, Allecto (Greek) Alecto isone ofthe Erinyes, the goddesses of retributive justice, and personifies of enduring hate. See also Erinyes. Alegeus (Greek) seeAndromeda.
by Jennifer R. March
Alecto. or. Allecto. One of the FURIES. Aletes. Son ofAEGISTHUS and CLYTEMNESTRA, and thushalfbrother toORESTES, ELECTRA (3), IPHIGENEIAand CHRYSOTHEMIS. Hyginus (Fabula 122) recountsa story, sounding likealost tragedy, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alecto
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alecto
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: roundedbygravity
View more pictures about Pteropus alecto.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of A1L1E1C3T1O1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALECTO
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alecto!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alecto to see it in context!