Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (novelist)
On this page:
Who is Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn?
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn was a Russian novelist, historian, and critic of Soviet totalitarianism. He helped to raise global awareness of the gulag and the Soviet Union's forced labor camp system. While his writings were long suppressed in the USSR, he wrote many books, most notably The Gulag Archipelago, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, August 1914 and Cancer Ward. Solzhenitsyn was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1970, "for the ethical force with which he has pursued the indispensable traditions of Russian literature". He was expelled from the Soviet Union in 1974 but returned to Russia in 1994 after the dissolution of the Soviet Union.
- also known as Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn, Aleksander Isayevich Solzhenitsyn, Alexandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn, Aleksandr Isaevich Solzhenit͡syn, Alexandre Soljenitsyne, Alexander Solschenizyn, Solzhenitsyn
- born on (96 years ago) in Kislovodsk, child of Taisiya Solzhenitsyna and Isaakiy Solzhenitsyn
- ethnicity: Russian
- nationality: Russia
- religion: Russian Orthodox Church
- profession: Writer, novelist, soldier, teacher
- parent of
- died on (7 years ago) in Moscow of heart failure
- written works: "Apricot Jam and Other Stories", "Molodniak", "Cancer Ward", "In the First Circle", "August 1914", "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich", "November 1916", "The Gulag Archipelago", "Une Journee Divan Denissovitch", "V Kruge Pervom", "Rakovyj Korpus", "Stories and Prose Poems", "Victory Celebrations", "We Never Make Mistakes", "Rebuilding Russia", "Two Hundred Years Together", "Prussian Nights", "An Incident at Krechetovka Station", "Lettre aux dirigeants de l'Union soviétique", "La Russie sous l'avalanche", "Comment réaménager notre Russie ?", "Le Grain tombé entre les meules", "La Roue Rouge, tome 3", "Récits de guerre", "Deux récits de guerre", "Août quatorze", "L'Archipel du Goulag, 1918-1956", "Krebsstation, 2. Roman in zwei Büchern", "Politik und Moral am Ende des 20. Jahrhunderts", "Rußland im Absturz", "Rasskazy. ErzÃ¤hlungen", "Zweihundert Jahre zusammen", "The Love-Girl and the Innocent", "The Red Wheel"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Neustadt International Prize for Literature
- Nobel Prize in Literature ("for the ethical force with which he has pursued the indispensable traditions of Russian literature")
- Templeton Prize
- State Prize of the Russian Federation
- official website: www.solzhenitsyn.ru
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (novelist)
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn to find many related words and phrases!