On this page:
Definition of the noun aletris aurea
What does aletris aurea mean as a name of something?
- colicroot with yellow-bracted racemose flowers; smaller than Aletris farinosa; southeastern United States
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonym of Aletris aurea: yellow colicroot
- more generic terms: colic root / colicroot / crow corn / star grass / unicorn root = any of several perennials of the genus Aletris having grasslike leaves and bitter roots reputed to cure colic
- member of: Aletris / genus Aletris = small genus of bitter-rooted herbs of eastern North America and Asia
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aletris aurea
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Joel Ellis Holloway, Amanda Neill
Aletris aurea Colic Root SCIENTIFIC NAME: Aletris, from Greek, aA£Tpi<;, aletris, a female slave who grinds corn or a noble maiden who prepares offering cakes.
The gardeners dictionary (1835)
by Philip Miller
Aletris aurea (golden-tipped Ale- tris). Willd. ho. ber. 8. Flowers sub- sessile campanulate, Cor. in fruit rugose very rough; leaves lanceolate, ensiform acute. A native of North America, flowering in July and August. The flowers are of a yellow ...
Containing ... Lexicon by Robley Dunglison
ALETRIs AUREA; indigenous, has similar virtues. ALEURON, (aMivpov,) Farina. ALEURITES TRI''LOBA, (from a}\cupirms, 'mealy, from the meal-like substance which covers it.) Candle nut tree. Ord. Euphorbiaceae.
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
Aletris aurea Star-head. The genus Asterocephalus Star-jelly, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aletris aurea
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Aletris aurea to find many related words and phrases!