On this page:
- Definition of the noun aleut
- Definition of the adjective aleut
- Phrases with Aleut
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aleut
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aleut
- Photos about Aleut
- Videos about Aleut
- Scrabble value of A1L1E1U1T1
- Anagrams of ALEUT
- Share this page
Definition of the noun aleut
What does aleut mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: Aleuts
- a member of the people inhabiting the Aleutian Islands and southwestern Alaska
- a community of Native Americans who speak an Eskimo-Aleut language and inhabit the Aleutian Islands and southwestern Alaska
- the language spoken by the Aleut
Alternative definition of the noun aleut
- A native or inhabitant of the Aleutian Islands.
- A speaker of the Aleutian language.
Definition of the adjective aleut
What does aleut mean as an attribute of a noun?
- Of the Aleutian Islands, their inhabitants or their language.
- synonym: Aleutian
ALEUT is an Aviation waypoint.
- also known as ALEUT waypoint, waypoint ALEUT, fix ALEUT, ALEUT fix
- Aleut a.k.a. Aleut Language: Aleut, also known as Unangan, is a language of the Eskimo–Aleut language family. It is the heritage language of the Aleut people living in the Aleutian Islands, Pribilof Islands, and Commander Islands.
- read more about Aleut Language
- Aleut a.k.a. The Alutiiq language is a close relative to the Central Alaskan Yup'ik language spoken in the western and southwestern Alaska, but is considered a distinct language.
- read more about Alutiiq language
Phrases with Aleut
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aleut
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Northern Pidgins and Contact Languages by Ernst Hakon Jahr, Ingvild Broch
Copper Island Aleut is the product of very profound linguistic interference and is a peculiar amalgam of two languages,
by Joel F. Mann
Aleut: Aleut is an aboriginal language belonging to the Eskimo-Aleut family of languages. It is of ancient origin and is now spoken in Alaska and Russia. It was first written after a Russian missionary created an alphabet for it about 1825.
Rara & Rarissima (2011)
Documenting the Fringes of Linguistic Diversity by Jan Wohlgemuth, Michael Cysouw
Introduction Aleut is the language historically spoken along the Aleutian Chain and on the Pribilof Islands off the coast of Alaska, and on the Commander Islands east of Kamchatka in the Russian Far East. It is the sole language in its branch ...
Tense, Aspect and Action (1994)
Empirical and Theoretical Contributions to Language Typology by Carl Bache, Hans Basbøll, Carl-Erik Lindberg
Aleut is a strict SOV language, and in complex sentences, sometimes very long, the final clause carries the temporal and modal marking of the sentence.2 Tense, absolute and relative, finds expression on three morpho— syntactic ...
In, Out and Beyond (2011)
Studies on Border Confrontations, Resolutions and Encounters by Antonio Medina-Rivera, Lee Wilberschied
Even today, Aleut is an official liturgical language of Lance Cummings 63.
Contact Languages (1997)
A Wider Perspective by Sarah Grey Thomason
Mednyj Aleut is a distinct language, with its own grammar.
In Honor of Jerry Sadock by Etsuyo Yuasa, Tista Bagchi, Katharine P. Beals
Aleut is a rigidly SOV language, except that NPs can be pre- and postposed as adjuncts, and the ordering of O and other nonsubject constituents is, as we have seen, somewhat freer. The verb has two agreement constructions (see fuller ...
Medical Record (1913)
by George Frederick Shrady, Thomas Lathrop Stedman
The Eskimo or Innuit, of which the Aleut is an offshoot; (2) the Haidas or Kaigan who live chiefly on Prince of Wales Island and its vicinity ; (3) the Thlinkets, and (4) the Tinnehs or Athapascans, the ...
Dictionary of Languages (1998)
The Definitive Reference to More Than 400 Languages by Andrew Dalby
Aleut is now spoken by only 500 or fewer people in the Aleutian and Pribilof Islands, Alaska (especially at Atka), and perhaps by a few in the Commander Islands, Siberia. In the 19th century, when Alaska was still Russian territory and Aleut ...
by Rayna Green, Melanie Fernandez
The Russians called the Native residents of the Aleutian 1slands, Kodiak 1sland, the Alaska and Kenai peninsulas and Prince William Sound Aleut or Aliut. These peoples were Sasignan/Unangan and Suqpiaq/Alutiiq peoples, related to ...
by Bruce Elliott Johansen
Aleut economy. The term "Aleut," used to describe native peoples inhabiting an arch of islands southwest of the Alaska mainland, is a European-American construct. Before contact ...
Aleut grammar. (Research Paper 10.) Fairbanks: Alaska Native Language Center , University of Alaska. Fortescue, Michael. 1983. A comparative manual of affixes for the Inuit dialects of Greenland, Canada, and Alaska. (Man and society, 4.) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aleut
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aleut
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Aleut Santa, Unalaska
This Santa in Dutch Harbor is helped by a string of seals. The Grand Aleutian Hotel -- one of the best in Alaska -- is in the background.
Photo credit: The Cabin On The Road
- Aleut village diorama
Photo credit: jkbrooks85
- Aleut barabara cross-section
This is the Anchorage Museum's cross-section of a traditional Aleut underground home, also called a barabara.
Photo credit: jkbrooks85
- "Matvei," who was an expert Aleut hunter
Photo credit: TheNickster
View more pictures about Peter the Aleut.
Videos about Aleut
Click on an item to play that video:
- Aleut Meaning
Video shows what Aleut means. Of the Aleutian Islands, their inhabitants or their language.. Aleut Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Words of Life ALEUT: Pribilofs (Unangax tunuu) People/Language Movie Trailer
This is: Words of Life ALEUT: Pribilofs (Unangax tunuu) People/Language Movie Trailer c10391 [c10391t] Other names for this language are: Aleut: Eastern ...
- Happy Birthday in Aleut a native Alaska language by Adam
See also the pronunciation examples of Aleut!
Scrabble value of A1L1E1U1T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALEUT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Aleut!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Aleut to find many related words and phrases!