On this page:
Who is Alexander Burnes?
Alexander Burnes: Captain Sir Alexander Burnes, FRS was a Scottish traveller and explorer who took part in The Great Game. He was nicknamed Bokhara Burnes for his role in establishing contact with and exploring Bukhara, which made his name.
- also known as Бёрнс, Александр
- born on (210 years ago) in Montrose
- nationality: United Kingdom
- died on (174 years ago) in Kabul of assassination
- written works: "Travels into Bokhara", "Travels in to Bokhara Being the Account of a Journey from India to Cabool, Tartary and Persia", "A Voyage on the Indus", "Cabool"
- award: - Founder's Gold Medal (For his remarkable and important journeys through Persia)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alexander Burnes
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Sir Sidney James Mark Low, Frederick Sanders Pulling
The British authorities neglected warnings, and on the 2nd November, 1841, rebellion broke out, and Sir Alexander Burnes and other officers were treacherously assassinated. Disasters followed thickly on one another, and General 1 ...
by Trudy Ring, Robert M. Salkin, Sharon La Boda
Sir Alexander Burnes, the second ...
The Encyclopaedia of Islam (1954)
by Sir H. A. R. Gibb
The grapes and other fruits of Khulm were still the subject of much praise by the Scottish traveller Alexander Burnes in the early 19th century. The road from Balkh eastwards into Badakhshan and to Andaraba and the silver mines of Pandjhlr ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexander Burnes
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Alexander Burnes for some fun with words!