On this page:
- Alexander Cunningham: Sir Alexander Cunningham KCIE CSI was a British army engineer with the Bengal Engineer Group who later took an interest in the history and archaeology of India which led to his appointment in 1861 to the newly created position of archaeological surveyor to the government of India. He founded and organized what later became the Archaeological Survey of India. He wrote numerous books and monographs and made massive collections of artefacts. Some of his collections were lost but most of the gold and silver coins in his collection were bought by the British Museum. Two of his brothers, Francis Cunningham and Joseph Cunningham became well known for their work in British India while another, Peter Cunningham, became famous for his Handbook of London.
- also known as Sir Alexander Cunningham
- born on (201 years ago) in London, child of Allan Cunningham
- nationality: United Kingdom
- education: Christ's Hospital
- profession: Archaeologist
- died on (122 years ago) in London
- written works: "Book of Indian eras", "The stūpa of Bharhut", "The Ancient Geography of India", "The Bhilsa Topes or Buddhist Monuments of Central India", "The history of Great Britain"
- Alexander Cunningham was a Scottish diplomat and historian.
- Alexander Cunningham of Block was a Scottish jurist, classical critic and opponent of Richard Bentley.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alexander Cunningham
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Thomas Thomson
Alexander Cunningham, fifth earl of Gleucairn. Henry Balnavea. Peter Bissat. William Kirkaldy. Edward Henryson, LL.
by Sir Leslie Stephen, Sir Sidney Lee
Alexander Cunningham, fifth earl of Glencairn [q.v.], Lord James Stewart ( afterwards Earl of Mar and Earl of Moray) [q.v.l and John Erskine of Dun (1509- 1691) [q-vi], ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexander Cunningham
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Alexander Cunningham for some fun with words!