On this page:
- Alexander Douglas was a Scottish aristocrat and cleric. He was the son of Sir Archibald Douglas of Kilspindie, Treasurer of Scotland. After the death of Robert Shaw, Bishop of Moray, Alexander was given crown nomination to the Apostolic see as Shaw's successor. At that time, during the minority of King James V of Scotland, Alexander's kinsman Archibald Douglas, 6th Earl of Angus, was in control of the country. However, this appointment was opposed by John Stewart, Duke of Albany, Angus' rival, who was supporting his own brother, Alexander Stewart. The fall of Angus in late 1528 appears to have doomed his candidature. He largely disappears from the records, and it is Stewart who succeeds to the bishopric. However, he does appear on some of the lists of bishops as Alexander Douglas I to distinguish him from another member of his extended family, Alexander Douglas II.
- Alexander Douglas was a Church of Scotland minister and bishop. Minister at Elgin for 17 years, he was elevated to the bishopric of Moray, receiving crown provision on 30 November 1602. He was not consecrated, however, for over eight years, not until he received consecration at Edinburgh on 15 March 1611. He died 11 May 1623, at Elgin. He was buried at the church of St Giles, Elgin, in a vault by a window.
- died in (392 years ago) in Elgin
- Alexander Douglas a.k.a. Alex Douglas is a film director, cinematographer and a film producer.
- read more about Alex Douglas (cinematographer)
- Alexander Douglas is an architect.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alexander Douglas
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A General and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the United Kingdom, for M.D.CCC.XXVI. (1826)
by John Burke
Don, Alexander Douglas, Alexander Dunbar, William-R. Dunbar, William -- (Lauder) ( Cunningham) Dunbar, Archibald -- -- Dunbar, Benjamin (Sutherland) Dunlop, Thomas-W. - Elliot, William-Francis -- Fairlie, William-C. (Cunningham) Ferguson, James Forbes, ...
Mummies around the World: An Encyclopedia of Mummies in History, Religion, and Popular Culture (2014)
An Encyclopedia of Mummies in History, Religion, and Popular Culture by Matt Cardin
Alexander Douglas Hamilton, tenth Duke of Hamilton and seventh Duke of Brandon, was born in St. James's Square, ...
by T.J. Carty
Erle Stanley Gardner KENNY, KATHRYN Nicolette Meredith Stack KENT, ALEXANDER Douglas Edward Reeman KENT, BRAD Dennis Talbot ...
Mystery Women: An Encyclopedia of Leading Women Characters in Mystery Fiction Vol.1 (1860-1979) (2009)
by Colleen Barnett
Catherine Alexander Douglas Author: Sidney Sheldon The series was set in the 1940's. Catherine Alexander, the ambitious, intelligent, and attractive daughter of an ineffectual father, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexander Douglas
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Alexander Douglas
Photograph of William Alexander Douglas Grant
Photographer: Farmer Bros.
Reference code: P790
Anagrams of ALEXANDER DOUGLAS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alexander Douglas!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alexander Douglas to find many related words and phrases!