On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alexander fleming
What does alexander fleming mean as a name of something?
- Scottish bacteriologist who discovered penicillin (1881-1955)
- Alexander Fleming: Sir Alexander Fleming, FRSE, FRS, FRCS was a Scottish biologist, pharmacologist and botanist. He wrote many articles on bacteriology, immunology, and chemotherapy. His best-known discoveries are the enzyme lysozyme in 1923 and the antibiotic substance penicillin from the mould Penicillium notatum in 1928, for which he shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1945 with Howard Florey and Ernst Boris Chain.
- also known as Sir Alexander Fleming; Флеминг, Александр; 亚历山大·弗莱明
- born on (134 years ago) in Lochfield, child of Grace Stirling Morton and Hugh Fleming
- ethnicity: Scottish people
- nationality: United Kingdom
- religion: Catholicism
- profession: Biologist, scientist, pharmacologist
- parent of Robert Fleming
- died on (60 years ago) in London of myocardial infarction
- written works: "Penicillin, its practical application"
- some of the awards:
- Alexander Fleming, M.D., was born in 1824 at Edinburgh, where he studied medicine and graduated M.D. in 1844.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alexander Fleming
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by American Heritage Dictionary
BIOGRAPHY Alexander Fleming Many famous scientific discoveries come about by accident, and such was the case with penicillin. The first and still best-known antibiotic, ...
Encyclopedia of Microbiology (2009)
Alexander Fleming, Discoverer of Penicillin Andre ́ Maurois Translated by Gerard Hopkins Intro by Robert Cruickshank Jonathan Cape 1959 Penicillin Man : Alexander Fleming and The Antibiotic Revolution Kevin Brown Sutton 2004 Florey, ...
The Star Trek Encyclopedia (2011)
by Michael Okuda, Denise Okuda, Debbie Mirek
The Fleming was named for Sir Alexander Fleming, the British bacteriologist who discovered penicillin. Fletcher, Ensign. EnterpriseD engineering crew member. During the ship's mission to the Typhon Expanse in 2368, Fletcher was working ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexander Fleming
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alexander Fleming
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Alexander Fleming plaque
All over London the former homes of well-known figures are marked by plaques.
Photo credit: Monica Arellano-Ongpin
- Homage to Alexander Fleming
@ the home of Spanish bullfighting - Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas, Madrid
It was erected by subscription from grateful matadors, as penicillin greatly reduced the number of deaths in the bullring.
Photo credit: Sputnik 2
- Homage to Alexander Fleming (ii)
Photo credit: Sputnik 2
- Alexander Fleming blue plaque
Clever man that Fleming
Photo credit: burge5k
View more pictures about Sir Alexander Fleming.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Alexander Fleming
It is the lone worker who makes the first advance in a subject; the details may be worked out by a team, but the prime idea is due to enterprise, thought, and perception of an individual. (Alexander Fleming)
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alexander Fleming to see it in context!