Alexander McCall Smith (novelist)
On this page:
Who is Alexander McCall Smith?
Alexander McCall Smith: R. Alexander "Sandy" McCall Smith, CBE, FRSE, is a Rhodesian-born British writer and Emeritus Professor of Medical Law at the University of Edinburgh. In the late twentieth century, McCall Smith became a respected expert on medical law and bioethics and served on British and international committees concerned with these issues. He has since become internationally known as a writer of fiction. He is most widely known as the creator of the The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. "McCall" is not a middle name: his surname is "McCall Smith".
- also known as Alexander McCall-Smith, R. Alexander ""Sandy"" McCall Smith
- born on (67 years ago) in Bulawayo
- ethnicity: Scottish people
- nationality: United Kingdom
- profession: Writer, novelist, teacher
- member of musical group The Really Terrible Orchestra (Bassoon)
- Marriage with Elizabeth Parry since
- parent of
- written works: "The Great Cake Mystery: Precious Ramotswe's Very First Case: A Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Book for Young Readers", "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency", "44 Scotland Street", "Morality for Beautiful Girls", "The Kalahari Typing School for Men", "Tears of the Giraffe", "The Right Attitude to Rain", "The Sunday Philosophy Club", "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies", "The Careful Use of Compliments", "The Full Cupboard of Life", "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate", "Espresso Tales", "Blue Shoes and Happiness", "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive", "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday", "The World According to Bertie", "The Miracle at Speedy Motors", "Portuguese Irregular Verbs", "Tea Time for the Traditionally Built", "The Unbearable Lightness Of Scones", "The Double Comfort Safari Club", "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party", "The Lost Art of Gratitude", "The Forgotten Affairs of Youth", "The Charming Quirks of Others", "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection", "The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs", "Unusual Uses for Olive Oil", "At the Villa of Reduced Circumstances", "Corduroy Mansions", "The Dog Who Came in from the Cold", "Love Over Scotland", "The Importance of Being Seven", "Bertie Plays the Blues", "Precious and the Puggies", "Precious and the Monkeys", "A Conspiracy of Friends", "The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds", "The 2½ Pillars of Wisdom", "The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon", "Canongate Myth Series", "The Forever Girl"
- film written: The Meerkats
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Dagger in the Library
- Martin Beck Award - "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency"
- Dagger in the Library
- nominated to Theakston's Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Award - "Blue Shoes and Happiness"
- official website: www.alexandermccallsmith.co.uk
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexander McCall Smith (novelist)
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alexander McCall Smith to see it in context!