Alexander Melville Bell
is an acrostic for amb.
On this page:
Definition of the noun alexander melville bell
What does alexander melville bell mean as a name of something?
- a phonetician and father of Alexander Graham Bell (1819-1905)
Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
Alexander Melville Bell was a teacher and researcher of physiological phonetics and was the author of numerous works on orthoepy and elocution.
- born on (196 years ago) in Edinburgh, child of Alexander Bell
- nationality: United States of America, United Kingdom
- education: University of Edinburgh
- profession: Teacher, author, researcher, inventor
- Marriage with Eliza Grace Symonds until
- parent of
- died on (110 years ago) of pneumonia
- buried in Rock Creek Cemetery
- written works: "Essays and postscripts on elocution", "Sermon reading and memoriter delivery", "Hand-book of world-English", "English visible speech in twelve lessons", "Note on syllabic consonants", "Principles of speech and dictionary of sounds", "The sounds of R", "Sounds and their relations", "The science of speech", "University lectures on phonetics", "Elocutionary manual", "Popular shorthand or steno-phonography"
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Alexander Melville Bell
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Chautauquan (1899)
A Weekly Newsmagazine. [Official Publication of Chautauqua Institution, a System of Popular Education]
Alexander Melville Bell is the author of a system of “Visible Speech” consisting of charts, interpreting by a symbolic alphabet a phonetic combination for analyzing the mechanism of the human speech. To those who have paid little thought ...
An Encyclopedia of Language (2002)
by N.E. Collinge
It was the ScottishAmerican phonetician Alexander Melville Bell who was to devise a radically differentand workable alternativeto theolder method (Bell 1867 ). With certain modifications, this is the method ofvowel description and classification ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexander Melville Bell
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alexander Melville Bell to find many related words and phrases!