On this page:
- Alexander Ramsay: Admiral Sir Alexander Robert Maule Ramsay, GCVO KCB DSO was a British Royal Navy officer. He was the husband of Princess Patricia of Connaught, the youngest child of The Duke of Connaught, third son of Queen Victoria. He served with distinction during the First World War. During the 1920s and 1930s, he held several important Naval Aviation commands.
- Alexander Ramsay: Alexander Gordon Culbert Ramsay was an Australian politician.
- born on (152 years ago)
- died on (90 years ago) in Williamstown
- Alexander Ramsay was a Scottish builder and architect, born in Edinburgh. He rebuilt Craigend Castle, near Milngavie, for James Smith of Craigend, in a Gothic revival style. Craigend was built on land that Smith's father had purchased from the Duke of Montrose, and which formerly formed part of the Mugdock Castle estate. The house was completed in 1812, but was gutted and partly demolished in 1968. The ruins form a picturesque part of Mugdock Country Park.
- born in (239 years ago) in Edinburgh
- profession: Architect
- died on (168 years ago)
- Alexander Ramsay was a British Conservative Party politician.
- born on (129 years ago)
- died on (46 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alexander Ramsay
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John Burke
was created a Baronet of Nova Scotia 3rd September, 1625, and the title passed, in regular succession, to Sir Alexander Ramsay, the sixth baronet, at whose decease, 11th February ...
The history of Scotland from the contribution ... to the Encyclopaedia Britannica, enlarged and continued by J. Taylor and adapted to the purposes of tuition, by A. Reid (1845)
by James Taylor
Others of the Scottish leaders, especially the Knight of Liddesdale, and Sir Alexander Ramsay, exerted themselves with great success to expel the English from the country ; and the government of the rightful monarch was at length so ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexander Ramsay
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Alexander Ramsay
Cap. THE HON. SIR ALEXANDER RAMSAY Adm.
LORD RAMSAY MARRIED THE PRINCESS OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND PATRICIA OF CONNAUGHT, A GRANDAUGHTER OF THE QUEEN EMPRESS VICTORIA.
AFTER THIS MARRIAGE, "PATSY" RENOUNDED TO USE THE TITLE OF ROYAL HIGHNESS AND WAS KNOWN AS LADY PATRICIA RAMSAY. HOWEVER, LORD AND LADY RAMSAY CONTINUED TO BE CONSIDERED AS PART OF THE BRITISH ROYAL FAMILY.
Photo credit: the lost gallery
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alexander Ramsay to find many related words and phrases!