On this page:
- Alexander Raphael was the first British-Armenian to serve in the House of Commons of the United Kingdom. He was returned as a Liberal MP from the Irish constituency of County Carlow, at a by-election in June 1835. However the election was challenged on petition and he was unseated on 19 August 1835. Raphael succeeded in entering the House of Commons as a Catholic Tory from St Albans in 1847 and retained the seat until his death. Prior to serving in Parliament, he had been Sheriff of London for 1834, where he lost the tip of his left index finger in a fight with a criminal. His father was Edward Raphael who was one of the founders of the Carniac Bank in Madras, India, which opened its doors in 1788.
- nationality: Armenia
- died in (166 years ago)
- Alexander Raphael is a film director, cinematographer and editor.
- profession: Film director, film editor, cinematographer
- read more about Alexander Raphael (cinematographer)
- Alexander Raphael is an actor.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Alexander Raphael (actor)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alexander Raphael
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Encyclopaedia of Heraldry (1851)
Or General Armory of England, Scotland, and Ireland, Comprising a Registry of All Armorial Bearings from the Earliest to the Present Time, Including the Late Grants by the College of Arms by John Burke, Bernard Burke
Raphael (granted to Alexander Raphael, of Ditton Lodge, co. Surrey, esq.) Quarterly, az. and ar. a cross moline or, in the first quarter the sun in splendour; in the second a mount representing Mount Ararat, the ark. on the summit, and a city at ...
by Joseph Haydn
Alexander Raphael, the first Roman catholic sherifl of London . . . . :8 Sept. Sir Michael O'Loghlen, the first Roman catholic judge (as ...
Dictionary of Dates, and universal reference, relating to all ages and nations. ... With copious details of England, Scotland, and Ireland, etc (1861)
by Joseph Haydn
Alexander Raphael the first Roman Catholic sheriff of ...
For Universal Reference by Benjamin Vincent
Alexander Raphael the first Roman Catholic sheriff of London Sept. 2S.1S34 Sir Michael O'Loghlen, the first Roman Catholic judge (as master ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexander Raphael
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Alexander Raphael for some fun with words!