On this page:
Definition of the noun alexander wilson
What does alexander wilson mean as a name of something?
- Scottish ornithologist in the United States (1766-1813)
- Alexander Wilson a.k.a. Alex Wilson: Alexander "Alex" S. Wilson was a Canadian sprinter who competed in both the 1928 Summer Olympics and the 1932 Summer Olympics.
- read more about Alex Wilson
- Alexander Wilson was a Scottish-American poet, ornithologist, naturalist, and illustrator. Identified by George Ord as the "Father of American Ornithology," Wilson is now regarded as the greatest American ornithologist before Audubon.
- also known as Alexander Wilson (ornitolog); Вильсон, Александр
- born on (249 years ago) in Paisley
- ethnicity: Scottish people
- nationality: Scotland, United States of America
- died on (202 years ago) in Philadelphia
- written works: "Watty & Meg, or, The wife reformed", "Poems", "Watty and Meg, or, The wife reformed", "The loss of the pack", "The poems and literary prose of Alexander Wilson, the American ornithologist", "American ornithology", "Oration, on the power and value of national liberty", "The life and letters of Alexander Wilson", "The foresters", "Poems, chiefly in the Scottish dialect", "The culture of nature", "The Chartist movement in Scotland"
- Alexander Wilson FRSE was a Scottish surgeon, type-founder, astronomer, mathematician and meteorologist. He was the first scientist to record the use of kites in meteorological investigations.
- Alexander Wilson was an Australian wheat farmer and politician.
- Alexander Wilson was a U.S. Representative from Virginia.
- Alexander Wilson: Major-General Sir Alexander Wilson KCB was a senior British army officer, Colonel of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and Lieutenant Governor of Jersey between the years 1916 and 1920.
- born in (157 years ago)
- nationality: United Kingdom
- died in (78 years ago)
- Alexander Wilson was a noted amateur photographer who worked as supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years.
- Alexander Wilson was a British Labour Party politician.
- born on (98 years ago)
- died on (37 years ago)
- Alexander Wilson was a writer, teacher, landscape designer, and community activist.
- born on (62 years ago)
- profession: Writer
- died on (21 years ago) of hiv/aids
- Alexander Wilson was an American lawyer.
- born in (183 years ago)
- education: Union College
- died in (127 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alexander Wilson
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Wherein Any Passage May be Found by the Recollection of Any Material Word in It. ...
do Alexander Wilson, saddler, do John Wessley, shoemaker, do James Whittet, do James Walls, wright, do—William Wighton do Robert Wilson, shoemaker, do - -, o * * Thomas Wright, do o David W. ight, merchant, do John Walker, hosier, ...
Illustrating the Words in Their Different Significations by Examples from Ancient and Modern Writers by John Jamieson
Glasgow Mr Alexander Wilson, Bookseller, Glasgow, S Copies James Wood, Esq . Leghorn Mr John Wood, Merchant, Dalkeith II. Wouldsworth, Esq. Glasgow William Wright, M. D. F. R. S. E. Charles William Wynne, Esq. M. P. Lond. William ...
by Caryn Hannan
DRAKE, ALEXANDER WILSON (1843-1916) — Art director of the Century Magazine, “was the foremost figure in the development of American illustrative art , ...
THE ENCYCLOPEDIA AMERICANA (1920)
Paton, 'Alexander Wilson, the Ornithologist' (1863) ; 'Leading Men of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexander Wilson
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alexander Wilson
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Alexander Wilson
Statue of Alexander Wilson outside Paisley Town Hall and Paisley Abbey. HDR
Photo credit: paisleyorguk
- Alexander Wilson Monument
on the east bank of the River Cart a memorial to ornitholigist Alexander Clark. Inscribed on the memorial are the words "Mnemosyne is like a temenos a world within a world" and on the reverse "Remember al' Alexander Wilson 1766-1813 here was his boyhood playground".
Photo credit: Bob the courier
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alexander Wilson to find many related words and phrases!