On this page:
Definition of the noun alexander woollcott
What does alexander woollcott mean as a name of something?
- United States drama critic and journalist (1887-1943)
Who is Alexander Woollcott?
Alexander Woollcott: Alexander Humphreys Woollcott was an American critic and commentator for The New Yorker magazine and a member of the Algonquin Round Table.
- also known as Alexander Humphreys Woollcott
- born on (128 years ago) in Red Bank
- nationality: United States of America
- education: Hamilton College
- profession: Critic
- died on (72 years ago) in New York City of myocardial infarction
- written works: "The command is forward", "The portable Woollcott", "Verdun Belle", "The letters of Alexander Woollcott", "While Rome Burns", "Shouts and Murmurs", "Enchanted aisles", "Two Gentlemen and a Lady", "The story of Irving Berlin", "The good companions", "The Dark Tower"
Alexander Woollcott is a fictional character from the play Act One.
"Alexander Woollcott" is a book by Wayne Chatterton.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Alexander Woollcott
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Jay Parini
This much is known: on a summer day in 1919, a press agent named lohn Peter Toohey invited Alexander Woollcott, the drama critic of The New York Times, to lunch at the Algonquin. They were or were not joined by M urdock Pemberton, ...
by Steven H. Gale
For example, to Alexander Woollcott«s boast, ...
by Robert Beck
And yet Alexander Woollcott, writing in the Times, expanded on that praise, ...
by Cary D. Wintz, Paul Finkelman
The show was widely reviewed in the mainstream press by major critics of the day, including Alexander Woollcott and Heywood Broun. The reviewers particularly praised the dancing in Liza, as well as the general liveliness and fast pace.
From the End of World War I to the Great Crash by James Ciment
sportswriter Heywood Broun; journalist Ruth Hale; Alexander Woollcott, a New Yorker critic who wrote the popular "Shouts and Murmurs" column; journalist and New Yorker founder Harold Ross; composer and music critic Deems Taylor; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexander Woollcott
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Alexander Woollcott
Photo credit: ValerieZinger
Quotes about Alexander Woollcott
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alexander Woollcott to find many related words and phrases!