On this page:
- Alexandria is the second largest city and the second largest metropolitan area in Egypt after Greater Cairo by size and population, extending about 32 km along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea in the north central part of the country. It is also the largest city lying directly on the Mediterranean coast. Alexandria is Egypt's largest seaport, serving approximately 80% of Egypt's imports and exports. It is an important industrial center because of its natural gas and oil pipelines from Suez. Alexandria is also an important tourist resort.
- also known as Alexandria, Egypt
- founded in 0331 B.C. (2346 years ago)
- part of Egypt, Alexandria Governorate
- touristic attractions:
- official website: www.alexandria.gov.eg/default.aspx
- Alexandria is a city in and the parish seat of Rapides Parish, Louisiana, United States. It lies on the south bank of the Red River in almost the exact geographic center of the state. It is the principal city of the Alexandria metropolitan area which encompasses all of Rapides and Grant parishes. Its neighboring city is Pineville. In 2010, the population was 47,723, an increase of 3 percent from the 2000 census.
- Alexandria is a city in, and the county seat of, Douglas County, Minnesota, United States. First settled in 1858, it was named after Alexander and William Kinkead. The brothers were from Maryland. The form of the name was meant to be like that of Alexandria, Egypt, a center of learning and civilization.
- Alexandria is the capital city of the Teleorman County, Romania. It is located south-west of Bucharest, towards the Bulgarian border. The city is situated on the Vedea River. The city has 45,434 inhabitants.
- Alexandria is a 4th-class city in Campbell County, Kentucky, in the United States. Along with Newport, it is one of the dual seats of the county. The population was 8,477 at the 2010 census.
- Alexandria is a city in Monroe Township, Madison County, Indiana, United States. It is about 46 miles northeast of Indianapolis. It is part of the Anderson, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area. According to the 2010 census, its population was 5,145, a decrease of 17.8% from 6,260 in 2000.
- Alexandria is a city in Hanson County, South Dakota, United States. It is part of the Mitchell, South Dakota Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 615 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Hanson County.
- Alexandria is a village in Clark County, Missouri, USA. The population was 159 at the 2010 census.
There are other places with in their name, like Alexandria Bay, New Alexandria, West Alexandria, Alexandria Troas, Alexandria Ariana, Alexandria Asiana, Alexandria Township, alexandria arachosia, Alexandria University, Alexandria Bucephalous, alexandria on the indus, Alexandria on the Caucasus, Alexandria National Cemetery.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexandria (city)
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Alexandria (city)
Alexandria City Hall
Photo credit: dewitahs
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alexandria to see it in context!