On this page:
Definition of the noun alexandria senna
What does alexandria senna mean as a name of something?
- erect shrub having racemes of tawny yellow flowers; the dried leaves are used medicinally as a cathartic; sometimes placed in genus Cassia
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Cassia acutifolia / species Cassia acutifolia / Cassia alexandrina / species Cassia alexandrina / Cassia angustifolia / species Cassia angustifolia / Cassia lanceolata / species Cassia lanceolata / Cassia senna / species Cassia senna / Senna acutifolia / species Senna acutifolia / Senna alexandrina / species Senna alexandrina / Senna angustifolia / species Senna angustifolia
- synonyms of Alexandria senna: Alexandrian senna / Cassia augustifolia / Indian senna / tinnevelly senna / true senna
- more generic word: senna = any of various plants of the genus Senna having pinnately compound leaves and showy usually yellow flowers
- geographic area: Caribbean
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alexandria senna
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The dictionary of medical and surgical knowledge, by the editor of the 'Dictionary of useful knowledge'. (1864)
Take of— Alexandria senna . . 1 ounce. Ginger ...... 2 drachms. Cardamom seeds . . 2 drachms. Boiling water...
Dictionary of Flavors (2017)
by Dolf De Rovira, Sr.
Alexandria Senna, Senna medicinalis Bischoff = Tinnevelly Senna) – Used mainly as a purgative. Active ingredients are sennosides. The leaves are sometimes used for skin ailments like acne. See Nutraceuticals, Chart 366 – Senna, and ...
by Richard Dennis Hoblyn
Alexandria senna. The leaflets of Cassia acxttifolia, C. obovata, and sometimes C . jEtkiopica always mixed with the leaves of Cynanchum Argel, and sometimes with those of Tepkrosia ApolUnea. [7. American Sentia. The leaves of the Cassia ...
Nelson's Encyclopaedia (1913)
Everybody's Book of Reference ... by Frank Moore Colby, George Sandeman
The so-called Alexandria senna is the product of C. acutifolia; the long-leaved senna is derived from C. elon- gata. Senna has a peculiar odor and a curious, sweetish, mucilaginous taste. It is much used as a cathartic drug, and is one of the ...
An International Work of Reference, Complete in Twelve Volumes, with 7000 Illustrations, Colored Plates, Colored Maps and Engravings
The so»called Alexandria senna is the product of C. acuti'foli'a; the long-leaved senna is derived from C. elongata. Senna has a peculiar odor and a curious, sweetish,»mucilaginous taste. It is much used as a cathartic drug. and is one of the ...
by Carole J. Skelly
ALEXANDRIA SENNA: See CASSIA. ALFALFA (Medicago sativa) [Leguminosae] Buffalo herb; Lucerne; Purplemedic: Alfalfa leavesarea common ingredient in herbal teas.
Containing a Concise Explanation of All the Terms Used in Medicine, Surgery, Pharmacy, Botany, Natural History, Chymistry, and Materia Medica by John Redman Coxe
Cassia лгут, _ fzurgatrz'x, _ [be purgmg Cas' ватты, Sla* 86mm, the plant affording the Alexandria Senna.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alexandria senna
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alexandria senna
If you need images about Alexandria senna for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alexandria senna to find many related words and phrases!