On this page:
Who is Alfred Kazin?
Alfred Kazin was an American writer and literary critic, many of whose writings depicted the immigrant experience in early twentieth century America.
- born on (100 years ago) in Brownsville
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Writer, critic
- parent of Michael Kazin
- died on (17 years ago) in Upper West Side
- written works: "New York Jew", "Writing Was Everything", "God and the American Writer", "An American procession", "A Walker in the City", "Alfred Kazin's America", "A Lifetime Burning in Every Moment", "Starting out in the thirties", "The inmost leaf", "Contemporaries, from the 19th Century to the Present", "A writer's America", "Instructor's Manual for The Open Form", "Inmost Self", "En Tierra Nativa", "The Emmy Parrish lectures in American studies", "Selected Short Stories of Nathaniel Hawthorn", "The open form: essays for our time", "Fiction and New England"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- Guggenheim Fellowship for Social Sciences, US & Canada (American Literature)
- nominated to National Book Award for Nonfiction - "A Walker in the City"
- nominated to National Book Award for Nonfiction - "Contemporaries, from the 19th Century to the Present"
- nominated to National Book Award for Arts and Letters (Nonfiction) - "Starting out in the thirties"
- nominated to National Book Award for Contemporary Thought - "New York Jew"
- Ivan Sandrof Lifetime Achievement Award
- Truman Capote Lifetime Achievement Award in Literary Criticism
- nominated to National Book Critics Circle Award for Criticism - "God and the American Writer"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alfred Kazin
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
After Genocide (2014)
How Ordinary Jews Face the Holocaust by Sue Lieberman
Alfred Kazin is a Jewish American writer and critic who, it would appear, initially sought to relate to the then recent events of the Holocaust through befriending Wiesel, but who later became estranged from him. Lawrence Langer is a literary ...
by Chris Baldick
The principal figures in its early phase were Lionel Trilling, Philip Rahv, Delmore Schwartz, Alfred Kazin, Richard Chase, Diana Trilling, Mary McCarthy, and Dwight McDonald; they were joined at later stages by Irving Howe, Richard Poirier, ...
The Authors by Philip A. Greasley
contains a wide variety of original essays and appreciations by friends and colleagues such as Sir Herbert Read, Alan Tate, Alfred Kazin, Frank MacShane, and Kay Boyle ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alfred Kazin
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Alfred Kazin
America by Alfred Kazin, edited by Ted Solotaroff
Photo credit: Lance Catedral
Quotes about Alfred Kazin
Share this page
Go to the pronunciation of Alfred Kazin to learn how to say it correctly!