Alfred Russel Wallace
On this page:
Definition of the noun alfred russel wallace
What does alfred russel wallace mean as a name of something?
- English naturalist who formulated a concept of evolution that resembled Charles Darwin's (1823-1913)
Who is Alfred Russel Wallace?
Alfred Russel Wallace OM FRS was a British naturalist, explorer, geographer, anthropologist, and biologist. He is best known for independently conceiving the theory of evolution through natural selection; his paper on the subject was jointly published with some of Charles Darwin's writings in 1858. This prompted Darwin to publish his own ideas in On the Origin of Species. Wallace did extensive fieldwork, first in the Amazon River basin and then in the Malay Archipelago, where he identified the faunal divide now termed the Wallace Line, which separates the Indonesian archipelago into two distinct parts: a western portion in which the animals are largely of Asian origin, and an eastern portion where the fauna reflect Australasia.
- also known as Alfred Wallace
- born on (193 years ago) in Llanbadoc, child of Mary Anne Greenell and Thomas Vere Wallace
- nationality: United Kingdom
- profession: Anthropologist, geographer, evolutionary biologist, biologist, naturalist, explorer, scientist
- Marriage with Annie Mitten since
- parent of
- died on (102 years ago) in Broadstone, Dorset
- buried in Broadstone, Dorset
- written works: "Borneo, Celebes, Aru", "The Malay Archipelago", "The remedy for unemployment", "Travels on the Amazon and Rio Negro", "Social environment and moral progress", "Studies scientific & social", "The revolt of democracy", "The action of natural selection on man", "The distribution of life", "My Life: A record of events and opinions", "Writings on Evolution, 1843-1912", "Is Mars Habitable?", "A defence of modern spiritualism", "The depression of trade, its causes and its remedies", "Tropical Nature", "How to experiment in land nationalisation", "Palm Trees of the Amazon and Their Uses", "Peixes do Rio Negro", "The geographical distribution of animals", "Die Tropenwelt, nebst Abhandlungen verwandten Inhaltes", "Natural selection and tropical nature", "The Wonderful Century", "Edgar Allan Poe", "Land lessons from America", "Miracles and modern spiritualism", "Part I: Contributions to the Theory of Natural Selection / Part II", "Viagens pelo Amazonas e rio Negro", "Darwinism"
- some of the awards:
- Royal Medal
- Linnean Medal
- Founder's Gold Medal (The well-known naturalist and traveller and co-discoverer with Charles Darwin of the theory of natural selection, in recognition of the high geographical value of his great works)
- Copley Medal (On the ground of the great value of his numerous contributions to natural history, and of the part he took in working out the theory of the origin of species by natural selection.)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alfred Russel Wallace
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by David S. G. Thomas
Wallace's line A zoogeographical boundary, originally put forward in 1858 by Alfred Russel Wallace,thatrunsthroughthemiddleoftheMalay archipelago and that , Wallace argued, marked the meeting of the Asian and Australian faunas.
A Dictionary of Zoology (2014)
by Michael Allaby
htm • More information about Alfred Russel Wallace. Wallacea See WALLACE'S LINE. Wallace's line The important zoogeographical division which separates the * Oriental ...
by Tom Flynn, Richard Dawkins
“Alfred Russel Wallace, the Origin of Man, and Spiritualism.” ISIS 65 (1974).
Encyclopedia of Anthropology (2005)
by H. James Birx
The Alfred Russel Wallace reader: A selection of writings from the field. Baltimore : The Johns Hopkins University Press. Raby, P. (2001).
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alfred Russel Wallace
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alfred Russel Wallace
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Alfred Russel Wallace
Co-discover of the theory of evolution. His tombstone is a fossilised tree trunk. Broadstone Cemetery, Poole, UK.
Photo credit: arripay
- Alfred Russel Wallace statue
Photo credit: Matt From London
- Alfred Russel Wallace O.M.
Photo credit: Simon Harriyott
- ALFRED RUSSEL WALLACE 1823-1913 Naturalist lived here
ALFRED RUSSEL WALLACE - 44 St Peter's Road South Croydon CR0 1HG
Photo credit: Spudgun67
- Rifle and collection box of Alfred Russel Wallace
Sarawak State Museum, Kuching, Borneo, Malaysia
Photo credit: quinet
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Alfred Russel Wallace
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alfred Russel Wallace to see it in context!