Alfred Thayer Mahan
is an acrostic for atm.
On this page:
Definition of the noun alfred thayer mahan
What does alfred thayer mahan mean as a name of something?
- United States naval officer and historian (1840-1914)
Who is Alfred Thayer Mahan?
Alfred Thayer Mahan was a United States Navy admiral, geostrategist, and historian, who has been called "the most important American strategist of the nineteenth century." His concept of "sea power" was based on the idea that countries with greater naval power will have greater worldwide impact; it was most famously presented in The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660–1783. The concept had an enormous influence in shaping the strategic thought of navies across the world, especially in the United States, Germany, Japan and Great Britain, ultimately causing a European naval arms race in the 1890s, which included the United States. His ideas still permeate the U.S. Navy Doctrine.
- also known as Alfred Mahan, T. Mahan
- born on (175 years ago) in West Point
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Historian, politician
- died on (101 years ago) in Washington, D.C.
- written works: "Makers Of American History", "The Interest of America in Sea Power - Present and Future", "The Problem of Asia", "The Gulf and Inland Waters", "Lesson of the Spanish War", "Retrospect and Prospect", "Admiral Farragut", "The Harvest Within", "The Life of Nelson, the Embodiment of the Sea Power of Great Britain", "Types of Naval Officers", "Armaments and Arbitration", "From Sail to Steam", "Story of the War in South Africa, 1899-1900", "The Influence of Sea Power upon History"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alfred Thayer Mahan
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by James C. Bradford
Alfred Thayer Mahan, National Archives. Mahan, Dennis Hart officer corps, encouraged Mahan to write and lecture at a time when there was opposition to ...
by James Stuart Olson, Robert Shadle
Alfred Thayer Mahan, an officer in ...
by Spencer Tucker, William E. White
In the late 19th century, the French Jeune École and American naval strategist Alfred Thayer Mahan promoted the guerre de course, although Mahan focused on a strong navy and fleet engagements, or the guerre d'escadre, as the key to ...
Imperialism and Expansionism in American History: A Social, Political, and Cultural Encyclopedia and Document Collection [4 volumes] (2015)
A Social, Political, and Cultural Encyclopedia and Document Collection by Chris J. Magoc
Alfred Thayer Mahan served as a U.S. Navy captain during the Civil War and president of the U.S. Naval War College, but is best known as an extraordinarily influential geopolitical strategist and historian whose theories and voluminous ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alfred Thayer Mahan
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alfred Thayer Mahan to find many related words and phrases!