Algae appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Emil, sea glamor: free beer from algae slime!
- No deer flee from algae’s sea glamor: feel free, Don!
- Sir, be dross, algae, rusts or frosts, urea, glass or debris.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun algae
- Phrases with Algae
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Algae
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Algae
- Photos about Algae
- Videos about Algae
- Quotes about Algae
- Scrabble value of A1L1G2A1E1
- Anagrams of ALGAE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun algae
What does algae mean as a name of something?
- primitive chlorophyll-containing mainly aquatic eukaryotic organisms lacking true stems and roots and leaves
- examples: Phosphorus provides nourishment for cyanobacteria (blue algae) which multiply and release toxins. | This land is covered by a verdant carpet of mosses, algae, and lichen.
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of algae: alga
- more generic word: protoctist = any of the unicellular protists
- more specific terms:
- seaweed = plant growing in the sea, especially marine algae
- golden algae = algae having the pigments chlorophyll and carotene and xanthophyll
- yellow-green algae = any alga of the division Chrysophyta with its chlorophyll masked by yellow pigment
- diatom = microscopic unicellular marine or freshwater colonial alga having cell walls impregnated with silica
- confervoid algae = algae resembling confervae especially in having branching filaments
- brown algae = algae having the chlorophyll masked by brown and yellow pigments
- euglenophyte / euglenoid / euglenid = marine and freshwater green or colorless flagellate organism
- chlorophyte / green algae = algae that are clear green in color
- chlorella = any alga of the genus Chlorella
- red algae = marine algae in which the chlorophyll is masked by a red or purplish pigment
- cryptomonad / cryptophyte = common in fresh and salt water appearing along the shore as algal blooms
ALGAE is an Aviation waypoint.
- also known as fix ALGAE, waypoint ALGAE, ALGAE fix, ALGAE waypoint
"Algae" is a musical album of Kassel Jaeger.
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Algae" is a book by L. Barsanti.
- also known as "Algae: anatomy, biochemistry, and biotechnology"
- "Algae" is a book by Tyge Christensen.
- also known as "Algae: a taxonomic survey"
- "Algae" is a book by L. H. Tiffany.
- also known as "Algae, the grass of many waters"
- "Algae" is a book by Julian Sprung.
Phrases with Algae
Phrases starting with the word Algae:
Phrases ending with the word Algae:
- red algae
- brown algae
- green algae
- Atheta Algae
- fucoid algae
- Globia Algae
- golden algae
- Capsula Algae
- Cryphia Algae
- Mesonia Algae
- Galathea Algae
- Phalaena Algae
- Archanara Algae
- blue-green algae
- confervoid algae
- Halobrecta Algae
- planktonic algae
View more phrases with the word Algae in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Algae
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Douglas M. Considine, Glenn D. Considine
A fourth order of brown algae is the Fucales. Members of this order are tough, much-branched plants which ...
by Liberty Hyde Bailey
algae is a warm temperature from June to September.
Bringing Fossils to Life (2013)
An Introduction to Paleobiology by Donald R. Prothero
Another enigmatic group probably related to green algae is the receptaculitids (fig. 20.5).
Proceedings of the Third International Congress on Arsenic in the Environment (As-2010) by Jiin-Shuh Jean, Jochen Bundschuh, Prosun Bhattacharya
Algae is an important component of freshwater aquatic environments and potentially could hinder the As partitioning in the paddy-rice system through uptake and biotransformation of inorganic As. However, As biotransformation and cycling in ...
by James D. Mauseth
A remarkable feature of brown algae is that they are all multicellular; no unicellular species is known to exist ...
Longevity Now (2013)
A Comprehensive Approach to Healthy Hormones, Detoxification, Super Immunity, Reversing Calcification, and Total Rejuvenation by David Wolfe
AFA blue-green algae is a wild food harvested from Klamath Lake, Oregon. It is an excellent source of nearly all B vitamins; the major minerals including good calcium, magnesium, and iron; as well as the trace minerals: chromium, copper, ...
by International Business Publications, USA
Marine flora Algae is a major component of marine flora, one that play a very important role in coral reefs, especially as ...
The Green Foods Bible (2011)
Everything You Need to Know about Barley Grass, Wheatgrass, Kamut, Chlorella, Spirulina and More by David Sandoval
Red marine algae is a source of alginates, soluble fibers that bind tightly to radioactive substances like cadmium, sending them out of the body before they can do much damage. One Japanese study found that alginates could relieve ...
One Plus One Equals One (2014)
Symbiosis and the evolution of complex life by John Archibald
One important aspect of the evolution of secondary chloroplastbearing algae is the manner in which they 'solve' the problem of chloroplast protein import. Again, the solution is one of mix and match biochemistry.
Structure, Form and Process by David Hopley
Phaeophyceae (brown algae) The most frequent color within Phaeophyceae is some shade of brown, from pale beige to yellow-brown to almost black. This color is the result of large quantities of the brown pigment fucoxanthin. Fucoxanthin is ...
The Black Sea Encyclopedia (2014)
by Sergei R. Grinevetsky, Igor S. Zonn, Sergei S. Zhiltsov, Aleksey N. Kosarev, Andrey G. Kostianoy
The algae is extracted for the purpose of obtaining agaroid at the Odessa Agar Plant; agaroid is a product used in food-processing industry and in many branches of economy. P. grows attached to rocky ground at the depth of 1–2 to 10–15 m.
by Michael Lück
Algae All-inclusive Resort 13 14 All-inclusive Resort American Cetacean Society 15. by the Seychelles Island Foundation. Aldabra became one of the best -studied coral atolls in the world, with the equivalent of 50 men-years work.
by Paul G Smith
Thus a water containing algae suffers diurnal variations in dissolved oxygen, and in sunlight its CO2 content falls. The CO2 originates from bacteria (see symbiosis ) or from bicarbonates releasing hydroxyl ions (OH) which tend to raise the pH ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Algae
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Algae
Click on an item to view that photo:
Algae on granite.
Photo credit: mynameisharsha
The cloudy-looking thing is actually a reflection of the clouds on the surface of the water.
Photo credit: pfctdayelise
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: silvia.raimondi
This is a run-off stream in the Black Sand geyser basin. Because of the different temperatures of the water, different algal, bacterial, and (in the hottest water) archaeal species live near the edge, vs. toward the middle of the stream.
Photo credit: mmmavocado
Photo credit: heyexit
This algae has a pretty good view
Photo credit: Sarah Camp
Algae growing in a water butt back home in Eyton, North Wales.
Photo credit: alex_quinn
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Algae, 600x
Algae, possibly gloeocapsa, at 600x. Found in a sample from an artificial pond in the park near 1st Street and Chesterfield in North Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Photo credit: smaller.pathological.ca
- Algae Bloom
Photo credit: tuchodi
- Putting algae to work
Photo credit: AJC1
- Ohio Algae
Can't say where the blue glow in the center came from. This is a slow stream in a park near Toledo.
Photo credit: B. W. Townsend
- Algae cloud
Bay Park, Ypsilanti Township.
Photo credit: Bird Eye
- Mmmm, algae
Photo credit: Qfamily
- L.A. River Algae
Photo credit: [email protected]
- Hotpot algae, Icland
Photo credit: Guttorm Flatabø
Photo credit: GerryT
- Algae on Beach
Photo credit: ralpe
- Algae in chains
Photo credit: joseppc
View more pictures about Green Algae.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Algae
Click on an item to play that video:
- Codium Algae (Seaweed) explanation. Dowses Beach -IMG 1437
Marine biology expert Gil Newton talks about the invasive codium seaweed, seen on Cape Cod beaches and others in the northeast.
- Milton algae explanation
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = algae
- Brian Bilbray on the Innovative Vehicle Language and Algae Fuel in the Energy and Water Bill
Congressman Brian Bilbray talks about high efficiency vehicles, originally identified in the innovative vehicle act and put into the FY10 Energy and Water ...
- Verb of Chronic Illness -- Tipper : Algae Bloom in Seven
- Stibium - Micoorganism colony on algae - Copyright free video (check description)
This video is free for you to use it, but to do that you must give us credit as follow: Stibium Channel...
See also the pronunciation examples of Algae!
Quotes about Algae
Scrabble value of A1L1G2A1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALGAE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Algae!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Algae to see it in context!