On this page:
Algeria, officially People's Democratic Republic of Algeria, is a country in the Maghreb region of North Africa on the Mediterranean coast. Its capital and most populous city is Algiers. With a total area of 2,381,741 square kilometres, 90% of which is desert, Algeria is the tenth-largest country in the world, and the largest in Africa and in the Mediterranean. The country is bordered in the northeast by Tunisia, in the east by Libya, in the west by Morocco, in the southwest by Western Sahara, Mauritania, and Mali, in the southeast by Niger, and in the north by the Mediterranean Sea.
- also known as People's Democratic Republic of Algeria, The People's Democratic Republic of Algeria, Algerie, Democratic and Popular Republic of Algeria
- founded in (54 years ago)
- part of Africa, Greater Maghreb, Arab world, Maghreb, Mahgrib
- instance of: African country / African nation = any one of the countries occupying the African continent
- Algerian capital / Algiers = an ancient port on the Mediterranean
- Annaba = a port city of northeastern Algeria near the Tunisian border
- Batna = a town in north central Algeria
- Blida = a city in northern Algeria at the foot of the Atlas Mountains to the southwest of Algiers
- Oran = a port city in northwestern Algeria and the country's 2nd largest city
- Constantine = a walled city in northeastern Algeria to the east of Algiers
- Djanet = a desert town in southeastern Algeria
- Hippo Regius / Hippo = an ancient Numidian town in northwestern Africa adjoining present-day Annaba in northeastern Algeria
- Reggane = a town in central Algeria
- Timgad = an ancient town founded by the Romans
- Timimoun = a town in central Algeria in the Atlas Mountains
- Atlas Mountains = a mountain range in northern Africa between the Mediterranean and the Sahara Desert
- member of: Arab League = an international organization of independent Arab states formed in 1945 to promote cultural and economic and military and political and social cooperation; OPEC / Organization of Petroleum-Exporting Countries = an organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the production and sale of petroleum
- member: Algerian = a native or inhabitant of Algeria
- read more about Algeria (country)
- "Algeria" is a musical album of Gnawa Diffusion.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Algeria" is a composition.
- music by Galerie Stratique
- "Algeria" is a book by John Reynell Morell.
- also known as "Algeria: the topography and history, political, social and natural, of French Africa"
- subjects: History, Description and travel
- "Algeria" is a book by Arslan Humbaraci.
- also known as "Algeria: a revolution that failed; a political history since 1954"
- "Algeria" is a book by Ali Aïssaoui.
- also known as "Algeria: the political economy of oil and gas"
- "Algeria" is a book by Georges Rozet.
- "Algeria" is a book by Kay Adamson.
- also known as "Algeria: a study in competing ideologies"
There are many other writings with this title.
Algeria a.k.a. The Algeria national football team, nicknamed "El Khadra", represents Algeria in association football and is controlled by the Algerian Football Federation. El khadra players are called "Ouled el Khadra".The team plays its home games at the Stade 5 Juillet 1962 in Algiers and their head coach is former French footballer Christian Gourcuff. Algeria joined FIFA on 1 January 1964, a year and a half after gaining independence.
- also known as Les Fennecs, The Desert Foxes, Algeria Mens National Football Team, Algeria Men's National Football Team, Algeria Football Team, Algeria Mens Football Team, Algeria Men's Football Team, Algeria Mens National Soccer Team, Algeria Men's National Soccer Team, Algeria National Soccer Team, Algeria Soccer Team, Algeria Mens Soccer Team, Algeria Men's Soccer Team, Les Guerriers du Désert, Desert Foxes
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Algeria
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Encyclopedia of Drug Policy (2011)
by Mark A. R. Kleiman, James E. Hawdon
Algeria is a former French colony that became an independent republic in 1962, with the Mediterranean city of Algiers as its capital. Located on the North African coast, Algeria is a state bordered in the west by Morocco and Mauritania, in the ...
The Report: Algeria 2013 (2013)
by Oxford Business Group
Algeria is an active participant in several groups aimed at fostering economic and political cooperation with its fellow Maghreb countries...
Algeria is a participant in several organisations meant to foster economic and political cooperation.
by Harris M. Lentz
Algeria,. Democratic. and. Popular. Republic. of. (al-Jumhuriyah. al-Jaza'iriyah). Algeria is a country on the northern coast of Africa. It was granted independence from France on July 5, 1962.
by John T. Shaw
“Algeria is a French problem,” Stevenson snapped. A newspaper in New Hampshire chastised the senator, saying it wished ...
The Fortunes of Africa (2014)
A 5000-Year History of Wealth, Greed, and Endeavor by Martin Meredith
Algeria is a veritable El Dorado that would compensate for the loss of our colonies in America.' Algiers at the time was an orderly city of 30,000 inhabitants, nominally a part of the Ottoman empire, but ruled independently as a Turkish military ...
by James T. Lawrence
Algeria is a multiparty republic based upon a constitution and a presidential form of government. The head of state is elected by popular, secret vote to a 5-year term. The president has the constitutional authority to appoint and dismiss ...
CCDI Architecture (2008)
Design for China's Future
meters Hall 30 meters Structure Reinforced concrete Material Granite, concrete, steel, glass Wings of the Sea The Conference and Exhibition Center in Oran, Algeria is a remarkable combination of modern and traditional architecture.
Telecommunications in Africa (1999)
by Eli M. Noam
Algeria is an oil exporting nation. The economy of the southern region is based on hydrocarbons (petroleum and liquefied gas), while virtually all the nonhydrocarbon-related activities of its economy—including agricultural production, ...
Exporters' Encyclopaedia (1911)
Arzew, Algeria. . . . . . . . . . . . (via Oran) Guelma. Algeria.
by Simon Gikandi
Many of Sebbar's characters live in exile, but they are obsessed with the desire to return home to Algeria. While in exile, they make strong connections among themselves and are rooted in the diasporic communities they create (see diaspora ...
by Thomas M. Leonard
One such was the question of France's nuclear experiments in the south of Algeria — a region known as the French Sahara. Other problems were the nationalisation of former European property and the position of Algerian workers in France, ...
by John E. Jessup
October 1 899, Taber, near Djidjelli, Constantine Department, Algeria — d. 24 December 1985...
by Ephraim Kahana, Muhammad Suwaed
AHC Arab Higher Committee AIC Anti-Imperialism Center/Al- Mathaba AIOC Anglo—Iranian Oil Company AIS Islamic Salvation Army (Algeria) ALN ...
Algeria. Algeria. The intervals are filled with lower ranges, and numerous transverse ranges connect the principal ones and run from them to the coast, forming elevated tablelands and inclosed valleys. The rivers are numerous, but many of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Algeria
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Algeria
Photo credit: RNW.org
Videos about Algeria
Click on an item to play that video:
- Algeria Meaning
Video shows what Algeria means. A country in Northern Africa. Official name: People's Democratic Republic of Algeria.. Algeria pronunciation. How to ...
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Algeria
- Algeria Project - Learning the Language
Imperial 9 Students have a go at some basic Arabic!
- Lullaby for the Children of Algeria in TAMAZIGHT, the language of the Berbers
This is a short song in tamazight, the language of the Kabilyes of Algeria.
- Jackson State University ESL Algeria
See also the pronunciation examples of Algeria!
Sign Language for Cities of Algeria
Sign Language for Cities of Algeria.
Quotes about Algeria
Scrabble value of A1L1G2E1R1I1A1
The value of this 7-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALGERIA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Algeria!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Algeria to see it in context!