Algirdas Julien Greimas
On this page:
Who is Algirdas Julien Greimas?
Algirdas Julien Greimas, known among other things for the Greimas Square, is considered, along with Roland Barthes, the most prominent of the French semioticians. With his training in structural linguistics, he added to the theory of signification and laid the foundations for the Paris School of Semiotics. Among Greimas's major contributions to semiotics are the concepts of isotopy, the actantial model, the narrative program, and the semiotics of the natural world. He also researched Lithuanian mythology and Proto-Indo-European religion, and was influential in semiotic literary criticism.
- also known as Греймас, Альгирдас Жюльен
- born on (98 years ago) in Tula
- ethnicity: Lithuanians
- nationality: Lithuania
- died on (23 years ago) in Paris
- buried in Petrašiūnai Cemetery
- written works: "The social sciences, a semiotic view", "Dictionnaire du moyen français", "The semiotics of passions", "Sémiotique des passions", "On meaning", "Baimės ieškojimas", "Narrative semiotics and cognitive discourses", "Lietuva pabaltijy", "Tautos atminties beieškant", "Des dieux et des hommes", "De l'imperfection", "Apie dievus ir žmones", "Du sens. Essais sémiotiques, tome 1", "La Lithuanie, un des pays baltes", "Iš arti ir iš toli", "La Semiotica Del Texto", "Semiótica do discurso científico: da modalidade"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Algirdas Julien Greimas
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Marcel Danesi
The notion was developed primarily by the twentiethcentury French semiotician ALGIRDAS JULIEN GREIMAS, who claimed thatactants relate to each other ina binary fashion, giving the narrative its trajectory andplot form: subject vs. object, ...
by Michael Lewis-Beck, Alan E Bryman, Tim Futing Liao
first contemporary treatise on semiotics, ́El ́ements de S ́emiologie, soon followed by major works by other well-known semioticians such as the founder of the Paris School Algirdas Julien Greimas and the Italian philosopher Umberto Eco.
by J.L. Mey
The Lithuanian–French semiotician Algirdas Julien Greimas wrote with linguist Eric Landowski a seminal ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Algirdas Julien Greimas
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Quotes about Algirdas Julien Greimas
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'Algirdas Julien Greimas"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1