Ali Akbar Khan
On this page:
Who is Ali Akbar Khan?
Ali Akbar Khan, often referred to as Khansahib or by the title Ustad, was a Hindustani classical musician of the Maihar gharana, known for his virtuosity in playing the sarod. Khan was instrumental in popularising Indian classical music in the West, both as a performer, and as a teacher. He established a music school in Calcutta in 1956, and the Ali Akbar College of Music in 1967, which is now located in San Rafael, California and has a branch in Basel, Switzerland. Khan also composed several classical ragas and film scores. He was a Distinguished Adjunct Professor of Music at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
- also known as Khan, Ustad Ali Akbar; Khan, Ali Akbar; Ustad Ali Akbar Khan; Khansahib; Ustad; Ostad Ali Akbar Khan
- born on (93 years ago) in Comilla, child of Allauddin Khan and Madina Begum
- ethnicity: Bangladeshi American
- nationality: United States of America, India, Bangladesh
- profession: Classical indian music performer, composer, musician, film score composer
- parent of
- died on (6 years ago) in San Anselmo of renal failure
- genres: North Indian Classical, Hindustani classical music, Indian classical music, Film score
- albums: "Journey", "Legacy", "Swara Samrat", "Artistic Sound Of Sarod", "Passing on the Tradition", "Plays Alap: A Sarod Solo" (disc 2), "Traditional Music of India", "The 80 Minute Raga", "Then and Now: The Music of the Great Master Continues", "AIR, Volume 1", "All India Radio, Volume 3", "Rare Ragas", "Signature Series, Volume 2", "Signature Series Vol 4", "The Forty Minute Raga: Raga Marwa", "Ali Akbar Khan Unknown Album", "AMMP Signature Series, Volume 3", "Duet", "From India", "Ragas", "Flowers of Evil (Les fleurs de mal)", "The Greatest Hits Of", "The Master Musicians of India", "The Great Heritage - Ustad Ali Akbar Khan", "The Soul of Indian Music", "Music of India, Morning and Evening Rāgas", "A Flavor of India", "Sarod", "Two Originals: Karuna Supreme & Rainbow", "Signature Series 4", "Indian Architexture", "Shree / Sindhu Bhairavi"
- award: - MacArthur Fellowship - "Music"
- official website: www.ammp.com/aak.html
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ali Akbar Khan
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Surjit Mansingh
Ali Akbar Khan was born in East Bengal to Allauddin Khan, the legendary maestro who trained many of the finest 20th-century exponents ...
by Ashish Rajadhyaksha, Paul Willemen
sc Jyotirmoy Roy lyr Manabendra Mukherjee m Ali Akbar Khan lp Chhabi Biswas,Dhiraj Bhattacharya, Jahar Ganguly, Tulsi Chakraborty, Jahar Roy, Anup Kumar, Sandhyarani, Sabitri Chatterjee, Sikha Bag, Sova Sen Based ona minor novelby Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay, the author of Pather Panchali (1929),Hotel had already beensuccessfully adaptedtothestagefor ...
Ravi Shankar and Ustad Ali Akbar Khan started a new era in the history of Classical music. Indian concert stages, so far dominated by only soloists, assumed a new colour and dimension when the great musical pairs started playing 'Jugalbandi'. Duettino (Italian) : A little duet. Duf : A Mazhar but without the cymbals. Also known as Dafe in Egypt. Duff : Nubian frame drum Duftig (German) : Misty Duggi : Small kettledrum worn around the waist by ...
by Steve Sullivan
—Ali Akbar Khan From the Angel album Music of India: Morning and Evening Ragas, recorded in April 1955 Declared “the greatest musician in the world” by violinist ...
by Shahid Javed Burki
Lieutenant Generals Saeed Qadir and Zahid Ali Akbar Khan and Admiral Khalid Janjua belong to this category. Saeed Qadir and Khalid Janjua were appointed cabinet ministers by President Zia ul-Haq and were made responsible for the portfolios of production and agriculture, respectively. After retiring from the army, Zahid Khan, an engineer, served as the chairman of the Water and Power Development Authority for five years. In addition to the role played by individuals, the military ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ali Akbar Khan
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Quotes about Ali Akbar Khan
Anagrams of ALI AKBAR KHAN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Ali Akbar Khan!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Ali Akbar Khan to find many related words and phrases!